Democratic Primaries 2020 - With a whimper

Calm down, little man.

What is the line which AOC crosses to lose your support?

Insurance is like the most obvious possible example of the need for strong regulation.

You have to have strong, government-enforced rules mandating that insurance companies hold enough money to pay out claims, even in a terrible economic / claims environment.

You also have to have strong, government-enforced rules mandating that they actually fucking pay claims, and furthermore that there is a strong disincentive to stalling or worse, not paying at all. This is where we fail completely as a country.

3 Likes

Any sort of ā€œThereā€™s no path to M4A without incremental changeā€ argument ignores the fact that thereā€™s no path to incremental change. Going off of obamas presidency, we know that to get that incremental change, you need the presidency and at least 59 senators, which isnā€™t happening. We also know that that incremental change can be undone in all or in parts by a minority party. I really donā€™t understand the point of arguing for small changes that are nearly impossible to implement, when you could argue for large changes that are also nearly impossible to implement.

1 Like

https://twitter.com/scottwongdc/status/1263854296895897600?s=21

Being pro-Warren isnā€™t pro-incremental change. Everything about Warrenā€™s political history shows her as a fighter with big ideas.

What it is is an acknowledgment that the left lost the primary, but we should continue fighting for what we can achieve. Not take our ball and go home.

1 Like

The main issue with this story is the reputable media was correct to be cautious about this for whatever reason they decided to and right and left wing figures who were drumming up a social media crusade and accusing the DNC/media of a cover up were just using Reade as an instrument to obtain a result they wanted. They didnā€™t really care or think about the basic level of fact checking that every reporter should do with every new source talking about 20 year old events that nobody can confirm.

5 Likes

Like give us M4A if you want our vote or stop complaining when we donā€™t.

Because 20 million people with insurance is better than 20 million without it. Even if the coverage is not what you would want under UHC.

According to posters here because Warren didnā€™t get M4A we should do absolutely nothing until we get m4A and Warren is a flip flopping snake for trying to improve healthcare rather than holdout for M4A?

1 Like

Nailed it.

In aggregate, purely in economic terms anyway, people are better off without insurance. I know I have been worse off because of it. And I have it, but I still wonā€™t go to the doctor because it costs just as much if not more. For most of the care weā€™ve received, certainly for anything not completely routine, weā€™d have been better off not using our insurance and just paying cash - despite paying >$1000/mo in premiums. Insurance sucks.

Come on really. That is where we are? If we canā€™t have UHC might as well have no insurance. Really?

Insurance sucks. I would not have it if I didnā€™t have children.

You donā€™t seem to get the whole point of insurance. Yeah, if you donā€™t have any catastrophic illnesses, health insurance is a huge ripoff.

In other news, who thought it was a good idea to put Joe on The Breakfast Club? JFC, his staffers must have known ahead of time that would be a disaster.

You really donā€™t think I get the point of insurance?

A catastrophic illness is going to bankrupt most people even if they have insurance, unless they have ā€œgoodā€ employer sponsored plans. Itā€™s kinda like what benefit are you getting from the monthly premium if youā€™re just going to end up in the same place. I really donā€™t think you guys understand how bad insurance can be, and how you literally just pay the same as you would without insurance for most things.

This all stems from the problem that healthcare costs more here than anywhere else and thatā€™s probably not going to change unless the public option can dictate prices or is heavily tax-payer subsidized.

All of that is true. It changes nothing. If we assume we canā€™t magically have UHC. Is it better if 20 million people have some healthcare rather than none?

Itā€™s not none. We have laws about not being able to refuse emergency care and we provide public health care at county hospitals (at least around here). Perhaps an incrementalist should be working to expand on that and also make it easier to get out from medical debt instead of incrementally getting more money to insurance companies.

1 Like

Sounds good to me. Most of the people itt will laugh at that though as itā€™s clearly not UHC which is the only acceptable ā€œcompromiseā€.

Look who wants debt relief.

1 Like