Democratic Primaries 2020 - With a whimper

Are you asking me? I’m voting for Biden. I presume you’re doing the same. So our plans are identical. Something else about my posting is offending or scaring you.

2 Likes

I see this debate as going back to Hobbes/Rousseau and, in a more concrete version, Hamilton vs Jefferson. I am strongly on the Hobbes/Hamilton side of things. Most of Hamilton’s opponents aruged he was a monarchist lacky and elitist who cared nothing for regular people. In his defense, he laid the foundation for the US. To my mind, good ole ordinary Americans are how we got Trump.

Btw, a couple of days ago Matt Ygelsias tweeted out some quotes from Marx saying that Lincoln was a simple, decent guy who shared the virtues of regular folks, but it was Andrew Johnson who would show the true power of class conflict when he seizes and redistributes the wealth of plantation owners.

<$50K: 52/41 Clinton
$50K+: 49/47 Trump

Source, and if you think about it, it’s a weird claim to be pressing where the loser won the popular vote, but I guess Republican talking-points look pretty good if they allow you to shit on the poors.

8 Likes

Hillary won by 8 points with people making <$50k/year and Hillary and Trump split people making >$100k/year evenly. Some people will never absorb this information.

Trump won because too many white protestants hate Mexicans.

2 Likes

That’s interesting?

I’m not a Marxist.

Now how about you actually answer the question. We are talking about trends over time.

1 Like

I see any situation where Trump exceeds 15% as damning of “ordinary Americans.” They cling to their guns and religion and conspiracy theories and “heritage” or they put their ignorant faith in Comrad Putin and the glorious Russian people, or they are the slightly taller and possibly one shade darker Hutus, and someday they will have enough power to kill us all (if not through the ballot box, then through the inexorable march of technology).

I want to amend this slightly. The primary reason Trump won is because of Parties and Party Loyalists. The biggest block of Trump supporters by far were just people who more or less unthinkingly vote for a Republican no matter who it is. He won the primary because out of 17 candidates he was the man for the white protestant racists and they made up a big enough block to dominate a fractured field.

1 Like

https://twitter.com/dril/status/134787490526658561

Blaming poors for Trump is the most on brand thing I could imagine. I wonder if poors would make better choices in the voting booth if they were healthier, better educated and had a more equitable share of the surplus of their labor? Nah, better stan for a senile rapist who will ensure the status quo remains for Simp’s social class. The elites in power have done a phenomenal job the last few decades for them.

2 Likes

The question wasn’t directed to you you. I thought you were a anarchist sympathetic leftist democratic who has too much sense to actually believe that stuff but would like them to be viable.

I wouldn’t have thought it needed to be explained because it’s so damn obvious, but every Dem candidate including Mayor Pete has a higher favorability rating among people of color in that poll. Not hard to understand why in a country where blacks vote 90/10 Dem and whites vote 60/40 GOP.

This is basically true. Same with Pete Wilson in like 1996. How’d that work out? It basically destroyed the GOP in CA.

No no, I meant the ball’s in your court regarding the demographics of Sanders voters. You can present some evidence to support the idea that they’re predominantly white males, or you can mumble some ineffectual snark and slink away like normal.

1 Like

image image

3 Likes

What? I’m just laughing at your “objective proof” that it’s a myth.

Door number 2, the classic. Solid choice.

2 Likes

Again it doesn’t matter if Trump loses to Hillary by 3 or Biden by 6 or whatever. That Trump could get 40% of the vote means that democracy has failed as a system. The only hope is that he gets crushed by those under 40, where maybe we can muddle along and reform a few things to prevent it from happening again.

(And yes, we should have a new constitution. The one we have is old and tired and has outlived it’s practical usefulness by at least 100 years. I hope people start floating draft proposals.)

I don’t know what the middle one is.

The incarceration one is very interesting. I knew America imprisoned a massive percentage of its population but didn’t realize it has increased so much of time. To be fair, it does show a drop over the past decade. That appears or be another good example.

The middle one cut off the title. It’s real wage growth. Top 5% getting all the gains.

America imprisons a lot of it’s minority and poor population. The explosion in the 80s is the start of the War on Drugs. Now we have white Karens on Facebook pimping out their marijuana dispensaries while a ton of black people rot in jail for selling the same thing in the wrong place at the wrong time.

3 Likes