Defense of the Dark Arts: General Policies, Tactics, and Tips for Triggering Deplorables. Also Fuck J.K. Rowling!!!!

Hello, I’d like to start this off. I have hinted at that I’ve been working on some body of work for my tips and strategies to engaging trumpublican/deplorables/RWNJ’s/edgelords/etc. From now on, for simplicity’s sake, I am going to refer to them as “deplorables” because it is all encompassing. However, these come in many different flavors and you need to understand that. I’ll get to that later.

Some background: I am an effective troll. The only ability in my life I have ever been confident of, from a very young age, is a unique capacity to get under people’s skin. Anyone who has followed my posting for a long time knows this about me. On serious topics and boards as a general rule I do not troll, or do the soft type of El Diablo trolling where you lead a conversation into a funny place by taking a position you do not actually hold. Since 2016, one of the only outlets I have had is by joining conservative-leaning facebook groups and trolling until I get banned or I am physically threatened and think it’s prudent to bail before I get doxxed. I’d say my success rate is pretty fair to high.

It took me a long time to post this because, I had it all sort of thought out in my head but then I kept thinking of edge cases, special scenarios, circumstances where a certain condition may not apply and it became too complicated. So, I have just decided to break it into several parts and kind of a running commentary on the tactics I use to effectively troll the deplorable community.

NOTE: People probably expected this guide to be a “how to troll” like, I tell you what to say to conservatives to get them triggered. No. This is just concepts and principles for now because you need to understand them to effectively troll. SO - even though the following words may seem like “I could never be like that” or they seem too harsh, brutal, cynical, or overboard - give it a listen, I think they’ll just help you generally. And the cause, after all, is noble.

Rule 1) Pick your battlefield carefully

For me, I don’t just dive into a group like the_donald. That is suicide and you will quickly be overwhelmed. You don’t wander into enemy territory alone. I find community groups (your city will likely have a FB page of 10k+ members posting about a variety of topics local to your area, and I find these groups get REALLY heated), or boards that may have a fairly mixed political community in which politics frequently get injected into a debate. Really, they’re not hard to find if you spend a lot of time online or on facebook. You don’t really want super strict moderation, either. You’ll know the place when you see it. I recommend starting with your city’s facebook community page.

The main reason you want a mixed community is because inevitably some of the stuff you are saying will ignite with other people that agree. They’ll join in, and sometimes even take over the conversation for you(and sometimes better), allowing you a graceful exit, your troll duties performed. The second reason is it is really hard engaging with 20+ people ALL of which disagree with you and hate your guts, will overwhelm you faster than you can respond, and to the collective it just looks like you’re getting your ass beat. DO NOT GET YOUR ASS BEAT. That brings me to the next rule.

Rule 2) Pick your battles carefully

One of the main psychological driving factors, in my opinion, of deplorable trolling/shitposting/edgelording is because they want to feel powerful. They want to feel like they scored “points” on you or “triggered” you. To be completely honest, that’s what motivates me, that’s how I know. So when you dive into a cesspit like chiefsplanet or theDonald with a hot button liberal take like “plastic straws are actually really bad guys, ok” or god forbid egghead terms like “The Overton window” you are just fucking asking for it. Furthermore, you’re reinforcing their beliefs through the collective bashing. You are making them feel GOOD and not BAD. That is opposite the prime directive. DO NOT DO THIS. Do not just sit there and take it. Bail, whatever it takes. For me I just turn off notifications for that thread and it’s like it doesn’t exist anymore.

The ideal targets are dumbshit people you can isolate. Forgive the poker analogy again, but it’s just like isolating the fish in a ring game. It gives you the best chance of success. Look for fish, not sharks. Replies under facebook comments are PERFECT for this because it allows you to attack the individual in a way that is not immediately visible to people browsing the thread. Use this to your advantage! In that comment section, for a moment, you are 1 on 1. This is what you want, and inevitably tilt that further in your favor. The immediate comments are the most important ones because they drive the rest of the conversation. Comment on posts that happened within the last 10 minutes to get a fast response and quickly utilize your troll tactic to get them flustered and looking ridiculous to anyone who joins the fray later.

Rule 3) Engage the person, not the argument

This isn’t fucking debate club. I wish democrats collectively would get this through their fucking skulls. Think of it like poker. Sometimes you are just playing against a person not necessarily on the strength of the cards you have in your hand or the cards in his. Now, even writing this I can think of one exception where you do want to treat it like debate club - I’ll outline that in a separate section if I can remember.

What this is is a war. You want to humiliate them and make them feel bad before they make you feel bad, or have the appearance/satisfaction of thinking they made you feel bad/angry/upset/whatever. This is what they are trying to do to you. Make no mistake, they are not trying to debate you, even if they pose as that frequently. I think all of our experiences over /politics over the years has taught us this bad faith tactic they love to use. DO NOT BE FOOLED. Your goal is to make them feel absolutely stupid and humiliated through any means necessary.

What do I mean? Like shit, in some instances with old or dumb people that cannot write is to just constantly attack their grammar in a terse way. Responding to 400 word blobs of nonsense with “you’re*” and other really obvious embarassing spelling mistakes is simply enough sometimes and gets an immediate rage response (And a LOT of “bonus likes” which believe me, enrage them further). As you gain experience, these lines that go off from these moves become astonishingly familiar. I can probably predict to within 3 words exactly what the response is to that by a Boomer and know the next 2-3 likely posts based on that response.

One of the main points I’d like to make clear in this section is knowing the type of deplorable you’re dealing with. For starters, I’d pick the softest targets - the boomers. You dont really wanna hassle with the edge lords or the professional trolls (I legit have ran into some very good russian ones, another story for another time) because it’s just so much work for so little gain. And you stand a higher chance of losing because they’re playing a similar game as you.*** So be able to quickly categorize and understand what type of idiot you’re dealing with.

EXCEPTION Unless you’re dealing with an obviously incompetent or easily triggered edgelord or troll. Those are the most fun to fuck with because they’re not used to having their shit thrown back in their face.

Rule 4) Attack Methods

This may be an attack point specific to me and a subset of people, because I consider myself a decent writer and well educated, but belittling their spelling and writing and knowledge is just a solid tactic all around. A lot of their posts descend into gibberish as they frantically try to spit out their nonsense talking points while you tear them to pieces in a quickfire fashion. Just throw in like, “Well that was complete nonsense and I’m not sure if I was reading actual sentences at some points, but I’ll take a stab at what I think you meant and…(elaborate your point).” Honestly this is just like a deathblow to old people. They cant stand it when a young person is acting like they are smarter than them, and if you are even halfway literate it’s easy to make them look extremely foolish.

Example: One of my favorite subjects is this old lady that constantly posts super racist deplorable takes based on clickbait headlines from dubious sources that completely and totally obviously contradict her post, like it’s not even remotely close. So I just sometimes pop in and say

“Again, Julie, I am concerned about your literacy. The article actually says this: . Did you read it?” Note, the screenshot - if you just block quote text they’ll say you copied it from somewhere else, lol. Wasted a lot of time with that, but even if they start challenging you, which they FREQUENTLY will, you can be like “lol click the link it’s literally right there in the second paragraph. Man, julie, I didn’t know reading was this much of a challenge for you. I’m sorry, I feel I have been overly cruel.” ALL CAPS LOCK MELTDOWN ENSUES

Condescension goes a long way, btw. What angers them about libz is they think we think we’re better than them. Of course we do. We’re better educated, wealthier on average (in terms of average salary and lifestyle), and dont think kids should ever be locked in cages with inadequate hygiene provided to them. Shove that in their fucking faces how much better you are than them. They hate it.

Ok, I think I hit the MAIN points of some of what I wanted to cover and gave myself a 1500 word limit which I’m a few hundred over, so I’ll stop for now here because I don’t want to get too long winded. My next post will be about how to counter their common tactics.

Keep in mind MORE THAN ONE OF YOU asked for this, ok? Feel free to contribute anything you like to this thread, let’s collect our knowledge. I think @suzzer99 s one of the resident people who has the most knowledge on this because he’s been battling in the trenches for years. Share your tactics, this isn’t the only way and in my mind, is an honorable thing to do.

7 Likes

I just want to say as an extra disclaimer that I’m fully aware to some this will appear like bullying or an unacceptable tactic we won’t/shouldn’t stoop to. Fuck, I probably agree. I’m a shitty person. I know it. This gives me some small solace in this climate, so it’s my vice. I won’t debate anyone about this in the thread and I ask that if you have that thought you just mute the thread. I don’t want that debate here.

When a climate change denier tells me the Earth has been warm in the past, I ask them “How do you know?” When they inevitably come to the conclusion that they know because a climate scientist told them, I always ask “So how come you don’t believe them about the future?” The mental gymnastics they endure is quite entertaining. Especially when it’s a family member.

7 Likes

Solid OP, I will have lots to add tomorrow when I’m more sober. The deplorables follow certain patterns to a T and when you realize it its easy to “score points” aka dunk in certain ways. BTW I could use some help here https://www.teamblind.com/articles/Topics which has been my favorite dunking grounds for a few months. Its 50/50 left/trump I’d say. Can’t say left/right any more.

They expect certain reactions and certain types of arguments. Give them what they don’t expect.

These canned gotchas are great. Quicker the better.

God bless anyone willing to engage idiots. I’m done doing that.

6 Likes

It’s more mechanical than that, I really probably average a 100 or more of these engagements a week with very little effort or emotional energy. When you get to a point where it’s practiced and easy (believe me it is) it’s really astonishingly low effort and high satisfaction, especially if you were born of fire in a place like 22’s older days.

Basically my ritual is to spend the first hour of my waking morning doing this, since we’re usually just staring at our phones when we wake up anyway. The nights I go really deep are when I can’t sleep, which is lately, which is why this topic is on my mind right now.

“You can’t reason someone out of a position they didn’t reason themselves into”

–Some Really Smart Dude I Can’t Remember

My go to has become, “so, when WAS America great? Name a year, or even a decade.” Then I just fuck off out of the convo, because I know they won’t answer and it 9/10 shuts them up.

I have literally never gotten answer. it’s like, they’re smart enough to know it’s a trap, but too stupid to actually try to defend themselves.

1 Like

This is really good against the Russian troll farm responses (which can be posted by Americans who have swallowed a lot of propaganda from the russian owned pages, which is actually happening) which are not likely to get a follow up and yield you a lot of ghost likes. Which make your comment appear visible to the overall thread which negates the effect of the propaganda.

Never engage with these lines, because you’ll devolve into a position against non-OP’s where you have to literally educate yourself on minutiae of real history to engage the bs and it becomes a fact check war which is a waste of your time and unwinnable. And then you have played into the original troll’s hands.

1 Like

Answering a question with a question is always a good strategy.

I’ve also found that implying that you might approve of left-wing violence sets some of them off. The problem is when fellow liberals also get offended and you end up in a three-way argument.

One predictable trait that trolling bullshitters seem to employ is getting other people to do a ton of work while doing none themselves. Obviously don’t fall for that trap, which is covered in the OP under don’t engage the argument. But my point is that successfully playing the reverso tactic there is a win you should strive for. Let them spend hours crafting a Great Internet Response that you can glibly dismiss with an ikestoysian No True Scotsman.

Alough The deplorables are slightly different here in the UK, I get a lot of them in my work environment and I usually ask what they eat now that they hate the others, and the 1s that try to answer that they don’t like Chinese food or Indian food etc, I usually smile and say Ahh I got you there… Because its obvious your lying.

As our food is almost all foreign :joy: it’s a tricky subject for them.

1 Like

They can just shut up and eat their stargazy pie.

1 Like

Couple thoughts:

Their first and most heavily used defense is whataboutism. It should never be engaged with in any circumstances. Doing so allows them to define the conversation. Call it out it immediately with something (even copy pasted) “This is whataboutism, which should be ignored. Its not an argument, its a logical fallacy that is a favorite method of Vladimir Putin. Post better.”

Do not make attacks or responses more then a paragraph. People won’t read it and its clear you “care more” i.e. you’re “triggered” which is one of their favorite words. Cut right to it.

They have a basic allergy to not vetting any source of information or news that gets put in front of them - I mean duh, that’s why Breitbart etc exists at all. Don’t let them source far right nonsense. Post links to stuff like https://www.adfontesmedia.com/ and https://mediabiasfactcheck.com/.

That leads to the 2 biggest attack points you have which is

1. the fact that the GOP had full control of government (and could have eliminated the filibuster) for 2 years and their only accomplishment was a massive tax giveaway to the rich. There is no real defense against that and you can hammer it as much as you want.

2. if they “complain” about you attacking their media sources with something like “lol mediabiasfactcheck” you can hammer them about not vetting sources. “OK, its not perfect, but what do you use to vet information put in front of you? Links? You don’t just believe everything you read if it fits your narrative, right?” They again have had no good defense on those lines.

In my experience the one thing they hate the most is you pinging/following up/needling them when they don’t have an answer to something. “So no sources then? No links to back up your point?” after they’ve dropped out is honestly hilarious and makes them go completely nuts if not drives them away completely. On the old site this worked to a massive degree.

Anyways yeah thats my screed.

1 Like

Laugh at them

https://twitter.com/sleepyalien420/status/1158967221441318912?s=21

My preferred response to whatabout Hillary? is wat about ur mom?

My next topic will have to do with a lot of what you guys are already talking about, how to deal with their tactics in a real argument. We’re already familiar with a lot of this, of course. But my next post will go into that.

Right now, a good line of attack seems to be that sobbing immigrant girl going around major news sources:

https://twitter.com/CBSNews/status/1159570171620671488

I am sharing this to pages I know I will not be immediately banned. Here is my comment:

“We’re only going after criminals, if you are not a criminal, you have nothing to fear.” Seen it quoted here, even. It was the line for a few years, lest everyone forgets.

It’s a white hot topic on everywhere I’ve posted it.

Oh, by the way, when you are using facebook - always like every post in your thread (comment). Even if you disagree with it. It pushes your thread to the top of the default view when people view that page. Plus it confuses the fuck out of deplorables.

1 Like