COVID-19: Chapter 9 - OMGicron

2 Likes

Shoutout to my home province of Alberta! Despite having only 10% of Canada’s population, we’ve nearly hit 50% of the country’s covid cases!

Way to go you lovable redneck fools! We’re such bumpkins. They call us Canda’s Texas for a reason.

5 Likes

I think we need to build some moron camps.

Tldr: tribe builds some small homes so their members can safely quarantine away from family. Morons see the sign and are convinced the tribe built it so the government can lock up anti vaxxers. Tribe has to close site due to threats.

3 Likes

PM here just announced international borders are reopening in November, but only for permanent residents for the moment, it sounds like. Means we can go overseas for holidays again and with proof of vaccination it’s just a 7 day quarantine at home when we get back. Without vaccination it’s a 14-day quarantine in a hotel. There’s going to be a proof-of-vaccination certificate which is QR-code based and will be internationally recognised.

That 7 day home quarantine needs to go for fully vaccinated people. It makes no sense at all because vaccinated people do not have to quarantine anymore by that time if they are a close contact of an actual confirmed case.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/health/2021/10/01/pill-to-treat-covid/

!!!

2 Likes

Things are getting worse at a faster rate here in the Czech Republic.

We’ll probably push over 1,000 cases in a day in the first week of October for the first time since the middle of May. We already went over 5% positive COVID tests in a day for the first time since mid-May.

Vaccination has decreased dramatically. We’re down to about 10,000 shots per day and less than 1,000 are boosters.

I had two classes that were partially quarantined this week and two others with a couple of coughing students in them. I’ll be in the hospital next week for tests unrelated to COVID. If I ended up contracting it, I’ll be in the perfect place for treatment of a breakthrough case.

Took a gamble. Just booked flights for me and my partner back to manila for Christmas.

Depending on rules in Australia, Philippines and Malaysia (transit) this may fall through. Not to mention State rules.

Flights are refundable. But a lot to negotiate.

1 Like

Came to post this.

Seems big if true.

1 Like

Merck? That’s going to hurt their Ivermectin sales

13 Likes

Or it gives them a broader market - Merck pills for sane people and Merck horse paste for lunatics.

1 Like

Break that pill open and mix it with horse paste for easy ingestion.

2 Likes

https://twitter.com/studentactivism/status/1443916273910489106

3 Likes

Unvaccinated Americans: “oh cool now I’m definitely not getting vaccinated, I’ll just take those pills if I get sick”.

I guess they’re mostly never getting vaccinated anyway, but still.

Will dive into the background on this pill, but that’s an effectiveness that would be a massive win

1 Like

If anyone finds the original Merck study please post it! Reading through the description of the NPR article on it makes this seem like a massive, massive breakthrough. They had zero deaths in the experimental group with 8 in the control. That’s obviously not very large, but they halved hospitalization rate (14% to 7%). They ended early because it would have been unethical to continue giving people the control.

I was expecting this work to be like Tamiflu, but that is bullshit that doesn’t work.

I would like to read the primary study though, and it’s buried with all the PR about the results though.

2 Likes

Time to sell all your Regeneron stock, I guess.

3 Likes

Oh that reminds me!

There’s a big difference between regeneron data and data for this pill. Regeneron was a classic case of juicing a study to get a positive result. IIRC they only have gave Regeneron to people who didn’t produce an immune response to covid. Unsurprisingly that worked.

Merck gave this pill to people who were higher risk, but with simply stuff like being fat and got a huge signal. Big big news.

1 Like

I’m going to enjoy the mental gymnastics of the derpers.

-So you won’t get the vaccine?

*No way, it was too rushed and we don’t know the long term effects of the vaccine

-So I guess you aren’t gonna take this pill either. It was developed pretty quickly and it’s not possible to know what the long-term effects are.

*Oh, the pill is fine. I would take that if needed. I did my research.

1 Like

Yeah it’s silly as fuck and really illustrates how much of this is about feels. I’m sure part of it is that there’s something about vaccines that seems more sinister (to the derpers anyway) and more able to put evil terrible mind-controlling things in your body than a simple pill.

And also to this day I still think a ton of the vax excuses came from people that were legitimately terrified that zomg I’ll get this shot on Tuesday and then feel horribly ill Wednesday and Thursday (even though side effects vary a ton and lots of people barely had any) as a direct result of their decision to get the shot. They twist it around in their heads and decide that would be a dumb thing to do and instead it’s better to take what they think is a remote chance of dying or at least getting really sick by doing nothing instead. A pill with no side effects bypasses all this dumb thinking.

1 Like