COVID-19: Chapter 9 - OMGicron

Obviously fine too. Beating this to death, but my only point was really that that “in danger of getting arrested” piece wouldnt be as effective as remaining calm but firm and involving an attorney.

The problem is that a lot of “asymptomatic” people are actually “pre-symptomatic.”

Yeah, I’d be in ~0 danger of getting arrested, certainly less than @Riverman. I’m definitely a bigger wimp than he is.

We’ve come a long way to where it is becoming normalized to be out in public infected with COVID-19. Imagine someone infected with OG COVID back in 2020 going out to dinner or to school pozzed. We’d want the military to come in with hazmat suits and lock them away forever.

TPHRIC.

3 Likes

Good luck.

My house is challenging because between my wife and the 3 kids, at least one of the 5 of us has at least one COVID symptom pretty much all the time. Back in Mid-December we all got colds, wife and daughter got tested and were negative. I’ve been battling a post-cold cough for the better part of 3 weeks now. Last night my oldest son comes out of bed with a 103 fever and sore throat. Fuuucccckkkkk. Getting a rapid test seems nearly impossible. We will try the local after hours clinic tonight, as that’s where we’ve gotten them before, but I’m not holding out for much hope. Special fuck you to Walgreens for making me fill out a questionnaire for 10 minutes before I can even get to the screen where they tell me nothing available.

At this point it’s like what do you do. Pre-COVID you keep your sick kids home until they are symptomless for 24 hours. Everyone in the house is fully vaxxed, including sicko here.

1 Like

I’d suggest getroman.com still for tests. I got some more this week.

2 Likes

I’m pretty sure I can get a PCR test plus results faster than we can get rapids shipped here, although I’m not sure. Maybe I’ll order some just to be safe but at this point we have a kid in the house who has the classic flu/COVID symptoms.

Looking at the CDC recommendations which I know are being viewed with some raised eyebrows, it seems like if we just treat him as COVID positive, he should be quarantined for at least 5 days or longer if he’s still symptomatic? But for the rest of us in the house vaxxed & boosted we are OK as long as we aren’t symptomatic?

Just got back from a PCR test at my school. Giant gymnasium of testing capacity, basically empty. Super weird to see that after seeing pictures online of people waiting for hours.

2 Likes

I used my state department of health’s portal to find a PCR test at an adjacent county health department. Won’t have results for 3 days. By then I’ll likely be asymptotic. Guess I’m hanging out at the State Capitol until then.

2 Likes

I had a PCR test with zero waiting at a bank drive through 2 weeks ago. The catch was it took 9 days to get the results. (Neg)

12 of us just took our antigen tests before flying back from Mexico. Nervously awaiting the results right now. They’re going to be emailed some time this afternoon.

You’ll be approaching your limit?

14 Likes

I’m absolutely suing the other kids parents. IANAL so I don’t know if that’s a winnable case. But I do know that even with an unwinnable case, you can make someone spend assloads defending themselves. I’ve watched it happen to a family member who was sued by someone who uses litigation as a weapon. Even with my family member winning the initial suit, a countersuit, and all ensuing appeals, they still ended up losing tens, if not hundreds, of thousands. This was in Ohio too btw.

My company of 60 people is at 7 cases so far and the only changes in procedure we’re making is distributing KN95s and asking people to take their temperatures when they come in, lol. Lots of coughing and sneezing on the production floor that makes me pretty sure we have at least one person just walking around infected.

3 Likes

Sure but what I’m saying is that if the 25-year-old with zero risk factors has to test every week for his work or even if he’s been in contact with a covid case, that’s probably going overboard. It’s illustrated by what the NFL has been going through. Very few NFL players are going to check boxes for risk factors (OK I guess Myles Garrett is obese by BMI at 6% body fat but whatever), so it only makes sense to do that if you’re trying to prevent spread. But with Omicron it seems basically impossible to even slow it down by testing and quarantining, so what’s the point? You’re just going to have a bunch of healthy elite athletes sitting around their mansions for ten days and making teams scramble to get washed up arena league players when their real players have to sit out for a week. Assuming they’re asymptomatic, if they have symptoms they should get tested. And is doing all this actually going to stop the spread? lol no. Slow it enough to make any difference? I really don’t see that either.

But yeah, if you’ve got risk factors or are symptomatic, get tested early and often.

God dammit

1 Like

On cue.
https://twitter.com/BlockClubCHI/status/1478388325870407681?t=S7KIJU-ASAyd1p11KNyVOw&s=19

At least it wasn’t an identity theft ring. …

We truly are the pinnacle of human civilization.

This is sort of what I was wondering for the COVID endgame. Using the previous years flu as the baseline level of acceptable societal disease spread, how does COVID among vaccinated people compare to the flu? (which while there are flu vaccines, fewer people get them and they are less effective) Specifically in terms of hospitalization and death. If COVID amongst the fully vaccinated is still significantly worse in this regard than the flu, then I think mass testing and slowing the spread mitigation measures will be here to stay until we get better vaccines or something else changes.

But if it’s not any worse than the flu, then do we just get back to where we were there? If you’re sick, stay home. Don’t go to the ER unless symptoms are severe. No need for mass testing or extended isolation.

There’s still the problem of what to do with the unvaxxed. My opinion, and one I believe is widely shared here, is fuck em. But there’s still the matter of the impact they have on our healthcare system and workers. But putting vaccinated people who are asymptomatic into isolation because a swab turned positive seems like a big long term ask.

1 Like

He also announced plans for 100,000 critical workers to take daily tests.

The testing regime from 10 January will be for key industries including food processing, transport and the border force, in order to reduce the spread of the virus to colleagues.