COVID-19: Chapter 9 - OMGicron

Admitted four Covid patients last night (all unvaccinated for Covid), including a pediatric case that had Covid and RSV at the same time.

No normal admissions otherwise.

4/5 on Covid tests sent. At about 18% positivity rate locally

3 Likes

My mom is currently waiting in line for a test at our tribal clinic. Then she’s going grocery shopping afterwards because her accountant told her she doesn’t need to quarantine since she’s had her booster.

I am so over it.

The popular CPA/MD double major.

1 Like

I told her “I usually don’t get my medical advice from an accountant” and she told me she wasn’t going to argue with me and that was that.

Truly the greatest generation.

10 Likes

lol just got a message saying we’ve run out of space in the ER. As in, we don’t have space to put people in the waiting room or anywhere else. We have three tents as surge capacity.

Granted this is the small ER I work at with only 12 beds but fuck me.

Everyone has decided that going to the ER is the only way to get tested.

As in symptomatic (but relatively mild-ish severity) people are just showing up because there is a testing shortage?

I’m sure that testing shortages are a cause, but they typically aren’t trying very hard to go elsewhere. They also have access to schedule outpatient testing. Usually they just come to the ER with sniffles. Sometimes they actually have a fever. The former are positive a small amount of the time. The latter are almost all positive.

Edited

1 Like

I had cataract surgery on both eyes, in the spring and then summer of 2020.

Tell your mom the surgeries were easy-peasy. The most annoying aspect is the multi-week eye drop schedule.

1 Like

Tofu talk has been excised. Find the appropriate thread if you want to continue to talk about the incredibly mediocre cooking ingredient.

5 Likes

I would have bullied the crap out of fellow students about not wearing a mask.

Tell her you are going to go over creating a family trust with the physician’s assistant.

I keep hearing people saying “go to the ER to get tested.” I tell people don’t do that but a lot of people think that is the best fastest way to get tested.

As for me, Covid closing in. Still waiting on test results for the guy at group home and talked to me lifelong friend him and his entire family (three kids) came down with Covid over Christmas, in New Jersey. He is a doctor and has been pretty careful. Not sure how they got it.

That is the worst. I have a lot of anxiety in general but that would put me over the edge. Temporary relief and disappointment with the cancellation. Doing it again would be argh.

My work conference call had lots of talk about coworkers/families getting Covid. Sounds like everyone’s experience was “a couple days of the sniffles,” thankfully. We’re remote all week (partly at my insistence, having just gone to the wild probable-superspreader wedding).

Our library system had free tests back in stock today. 1 per family member is the policy and I was able to get 3 tests. I think they ran out of tests in a few hours.

they’re probably right tbh

Breakthrough infections soared by relative standards through December, with 149.5 of 100,000 fully vaccinated New Yorkers getting infected the week of Dec. 20. That compares with a rate of 28.3 breakthrough infections per 100,000 the week of Dec. 6. Unvaccinated New Yorkers are still more than six times as likely to get infected, with a 940.7 daily infection rate per 100,000 residents the week of Dec. 20. That’s still a more than a four-fold increase from their risk of infection the week of Dec. 6.

In terms of breakthrough hospitalizations, the likelihood nearly doubled last month, from 1.18 per 100,000 fully vaccinated New Yorkers the week of Dec. 6 to 2.08 per 100,000 the week of Dec. 20. The risk grew by exactly the same amount (1.07 times) for unvaccinated New Yorkers, though their risk is still 14 times higher.

Democrats are going to get even more killed in 2022 now that it turned out Covid was just a cold after all like the republicans tried to warn everyone - INFLATION!!!

Still waiting for our PCR test results but now have a fever and a cough and everyone else that came over for X-Mas dinner has tested positive so I am sure this is Covid. So much for everyone having negative rapid antigen tests before dinner.

23 Likes