COVID-19: Chapter 9 - OMGicron

NSW positivity rate yesterday was 27.7%. But PCR testing is limited to people with symptoms and people directed to get a test by NSW Health, so it’s not surprising.

Thanks for posting this! I did this and got 4 free kits, and needed to give a couple to my dad right away because we can’t locate any rapid tests around here and he was recently exposed to my sister who just tested positive yesterday. She ordered 4 tests today, we ordered 4 more for my dad, and another sister also ordered 4. We all live in different town but all of our zip codes were eligible for the free kits.

3 Likes

So MN was the worst or one of the worst states when it came to cases this fall but the cases here have actually stayed steady or slightly dropped since Omicron came around, that seems odd

channels The Wire

Omicron’s coming.

2 Likes
1 Like

Sister has COVID. She got it on NYE because she just had to go out and celebrate with some friends who ended up coming out with symptoms on NYD. Good thing I left her home before that happened.

Schools open in CR and students got comprehensively tested. Well, at least the ones that didn’t test positive for COVID prior to going to school.

We’ll see what happens there. MoH predicts that omicron will be the dominant strain in the CR in 10-14 days.

1 Like

Anonymous Writings of a Covid Nurse - Part 3

https://www.reddit.com/r/medicine/comments/rvesj6/anonymous_writings_of_a_covid_nurse_part_3/

7 Likes

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2022-01-04/u-s-sets-new-global-daily-record-of-over-1-million-virus-cases

Woke up with an itchy, dry sore throat. Trying to find a test seems impossible.

3 Likes

Good luck w testing and feel better.

1 Like

:ballot_box_with_check:

4 Likes

Somehow I’ve spent 6 days in Florida including a wedding on NYE and wife and I are still testing negative this morning.

2 of my coworkers on my team of 6 have tested positive in the last week, multiple family members have also tested positive since Christmas.

Just feels like an inevitability and I’m very glad I got my booster on Dec 23. Couldn’t have timed it better.

2 Likes

Younger kid’s school made it one day, good try! Will see if the other school opens tomorrow.

1 Like

On his first day back, my youngest is apparently stuck on his bus because they have a substitute driver who has no idea what the route is.

Well, we finally know what Emily Lolster was up to with hospital data. It was fuel for this COVID denier bit posted on (where else) Substack. You need to read it to get the whole picture, but lol at this part:

What keeps me up at night at the moment is hospitals. And, in particular, the worry that the overwhelming of hospitals will get much worse.

It’s real mask-off stuff! This bit too:

This situation is scary. A coordinated federal or state response will be necessary to figure out where we need to send more staff, including possible National Guard help.

Wildly irresponsible.

She’s acting in such bad faith that she even says she’s not trying to minimize the severity of the situation:

It is important to emphasize that much of the reason to get these better data is to help hospital systems and health-care workers and to better manage the pandemic. The reason is not to understate the crisis facing hospitals at the moment.

Ha, “my ‘we need better data to coordinate an effective response to the hospitalization crisis, not to minimize the severity of said crisis’ shirt is raising questions already answered by the shirt”! Of course, we know what’s really going on here.

2 Likes

What utter bullshit

I mean calling this a “pro-COVID” piece feels like a wild overreaction based purely on who is writing it and having very little to do with the content of the piece.

We can do better.

As usual, one set of rules for rich people, one set of rules for everyone else.

Cool, Walmart cancelled my order for 6 rapid tests that I ordered on 12/30 and was going to pick up today.

Why? Because I didn’t pick them up in time. Even though my confirmation says:

Order date: Thu, Dec 30, 2021

Yes, your pickup order is ready!

Great news, Spidercrab - order XXXXXX is prepped and waiting. Remember to pick up your items by Tue, Jan 4
Please check in before you head to the store, so we’re ready for a speedy handoff.

Am I wrong? Isn’t it completely ridiculous to say that “Pick up your items by January 4” actually means “Pick up your items before January 4”?

And obviously they’re out of stock everywhere now.