COVID-19: Chapter 9 - OMGicron

Beat me to it because I searched the thread to see if it had been posted since the military article is from last Thursday, seems promising though

1 Like

O/U number of UPā€™ers who catch covid in the next 2 weeks? Gotta be at least 15.

Three days laterā€¦

Walter Reedā€™s Spike Ferritin Nanoparticle COVID-19 vaccine, or SpFN, completed animal trials earlier this year with positive results. Phase 1 of human trials, which tested the vaccine against Omicron and the other variants, wrapped up this month, again with positive results that are undergoing final review

That was fast!

3 Likes

Contact tracing here in South Australia has completely broken down. The Willunga Hotel, on the southern outskirts of Adelaide, had a positive case on December 9 and voluntarily shut down after being unable to get any sense out of SA Health. The hotel was finally listed as an exposure site yesterday, Dec 20th. Good job, good effort.

There are apparently many other exposure sites not being listed by SA Health. Thereā€™s a Facebook group trying to track them, but it seems like the genie is well out of the bottle now. 198 new cases today of which only 49 are known source and 149 are ā€œunder investigationā€.

So itā€™s basically let it rip time now and hope our vaccine coverage (~90% of 16+) holds up.

Iā€™ll take the under.

1 Like

Probably me. Seems like a guarantee at this point. Weā€™re going to test before we leave and upon return. I know going to vegas was irresponsible but Iā€™ve burned enough family relationships over covid I wasnā€™t going to do it to my MIL.

I feel like itā€™s a guarantee for me too with all the family gatherings I have ahead. I might not know it though if I donā€™t get tested.

What do you feel when highly vocal unvaccinated people die?

• Happiness
  • Indifference
  • Sadness

0 voters

1 Like

Voted indifference but needs an ā€œamusementā€ option. There are like 2 people die every second around the world, the death of one person Iā€™ve never met isnā€™t of consequence to me. Which is what allows me to think hubris colliding with the brick wall of the virus is funny.

5 Likes

Thatā€™s a happy vote as far as Iā€™m concerned.

Doesnā€™t being in a state of amusement make one happy in a way.

I donā€™t think happy is quite the right word for it. Getting to say ā€œI told you soā€ when the bad thing you said would happen in fact happened doesnā€™t make me happy.

4 Likes

I donā€™t think any of these is exactly the right emotion. More like ā€œwow you actually suffered some consequences for your hubris and idiocy for the first time in your lifeā€.

7 Likes

I feel the same way that I feel when I hear about a smoker who dies of lung cancer. Like itā€™s an expected or at least a not-surprising outcome.

stocked on these and n99 for traveling. both are comfortable for me.

I like the under, too, given the 2 week time frame. We just didnā€™t have that much during the last Christmas wave or in the delta wave. Maybe 15 in a month, but I think 5ish in two weeks. Unless youā€™re counting in your 15 UPers who are singleton posters but their whole family gets infected.

My cousin who has to work over christmas on the covid ward advised that everyone should test before the holidays. They have too many vaccine breakthroughs to be sure that your vaccination will be enough as a protection. I doubt my family will do that tho because nobody wants to ruin christmas. I am due to get back to work on the 30th to help our testing station but to a certain degree I expect to get a call earlier because somebody got infected over the holidays and cant come in. The only reason I actually want to go home is to see the eyes of my niece when she gets her christmas presents.

2 Likes

I was a prime candidate until my cousin caught it and canceled Christmas Eve. Still a good chance though.

So we can revise the approval by the fda up to 2026 then?

Iā€™m pretty sure @churchill would have won our bet if it included January. Seems like the perfect storm with Christmas/New Years and Omicron to see fresh new highs of cases fairly soon.