COVID-19: Chapter 9 - OMGicron

The pharmacies near me just have “wait lists” with no guaranteed date. In rounds 1 and 2 I went on pharmacy wait lists and never got a call back, I ended up cancelling after I got my booked vaccination at the public health site.

Gf and I walked in yesterday, I was told I was 3 days short though.

There was a backdoor that was publicized on Twitter that a bunch of people took advantage of, including my manager.

Goddamned socialized medicine!

what the fuck

1 Like

Sounds like Maryland has Omicron on the run.

Would have never known that was a zipper without the sound effect.

Garrison is GOAT

3 Likes

Trump can’t change their minds.

https://twitter.com/TimOBrien/status/1472943948117286918

2 Likes

I don’t think this is right because I don’t think you need the booster to have effective protection from omicron.

By that I mean if you’re 3-5 weeks out from your 2nd dose, you should be covered. Now that won’t last forever which is why the booster is needed, but you aren’t unprotected either between the booster and the 2nd shot.

Exactly how long that 2nd shot lasts is up for debate though.

1 Like

There was real backlash against variolation in George Washington’s time, so I’m not so sure. The long term scarring and much higher death rates makes your hypothesis likely though. Variolation was also nowhere near as safe as a covid vaccine though.

Honestly I think the biggest thing would be the fact that smallpox killed kids in crazy high percentages, hitting something like 50% of those under 1 infected.

1 Like

Update: the governor has Covid lol

15 Likes

whoo boy had me triggered with this part!

Washington DC to re-introduce mask mandate

Washington DC will reinstate an indoor mask mandate beginning on 21 December and lasting until the morning of 31 January, the city’s mayor said on Monday.

Muriel Bowser declared a state of emergency in the US capital as new coronavirus infections started to rise again in the city.

Residents will again legally require masks in most indoor public places, such as gyms, churches and grocery stores, beginning at 06:00 on Tuesday.

Washington DC only recently lifted a mask mandate on 22 November that had been in place since July.

Bowser also announced that all employees of the city’s government will have to be fully vaccinated against Covid-19 and receive a booster shot. She added that workers will not have an option to take a coronavirus test instead, though she did not provide a deadline for the vaccination guidance.

Around 88% of DC residents have received at least one dose of a coronavirus vaccine.

https://twitter.com/OneJerseySchorr/status/1472960440959447056

https://twitter.com/OneJerseySchorr/status/1472961580551843851

So, wouldn’t we expect that as time goes on and the virus picks up some different mutations that the worst outcomes (hospitalization/death) would decrease due to the fact that the virus is no longer novel to most people? Seems like that amongst the unvaxxed, a great many of them have been exposed to COVID, and among the vaxxed, we’ve all gotten our immune system exposed to it.

Obviously I want to wishcast that the omicron surge isn’t going to kill everyone, but it seems like so much of the initial death and suffering was the result of people, especially vulnerable ones, simply never getting got by this thing.

Maybe this is just ldo duh to everyone, but in my dumb head I figure that it has to be rare that someone gets popped off after being exposed to this a second time after hitting your saving throw the first time, and even rarer the third, and fourth, and fifth, but maybe it doesn’t really work like that.

Britain’s Queen Elizabeth will celebrate Christmas at Windsor instead of her usual choice of Sandringham, a palace source said on Monday, as the Omicron variant continues to spread rapidly.

“The decision was a personal one after careful consideration and reflects a precautionary approach,” the source said. “There will be family visiting Windsor over the Christmas period and all appropriate guidelines will be followed.”

Chris Ship, ITV News’s Royal Editor, tweeted that the decision taken by the monarch was a “personal one”.

Tough choice, which castle?

Sandringham ruled out…

‘Precautionary’ Windsor in…

You need to reach Operating Thetan III before they can reveal the secret plan to you.

3 Likes

In New York, new COVID-19 cases rose 60% in the week that ended on Sunday as the Omicron variant spreads rapidly around the U.S. northeast. New York has set records for the most new cases reported in a single day since the pandemic started for three consecutive days.

Are hospitals getting slammed?