COVID-19: Chapter 9 - OMGicron

its hard to comprehend what happened in NYC and westchester county in march/April.

1 Like

Depends who they play for.

and hey today is my vaccine anniversary

8 Likes

That’s easy to say when you’re a Lions fan. :grin:

1 Like

Happy Vacinnaversary!

And thanks for the info from your space in these threads.

2 Likes

Weird. I was looking here:

Which is not a model of clarity, but seems to give lower numbers.

…that’s why you should adopt the phrase ā€œIt’s not exactly rocket surgeryā€.

3 Likes

Danish report on Omicron:

Insignificant raw difference in hospitalizations between Omicron and Delta, but different age/vax status distributions, so who knows what that means in reality.

The stats differ a bit depending on the source

https://coronavirus.health.ny.gov/vaccination-progress-date

according to CDC data, 94% of adults in New York state have at least one shot
the rate is 88% based on New York state data

the website above explains the differences as

  1. ā€œ% of Population (CDC)ā€ represents the total number of New Yorkers vaccinated anywhere and by anyone as reported by CDC, including state, local and private vaccination providers (includes Federal entities such as Veterans’ Hospitals and New Yorkers who received their vaccinations in other states) as a percent of the total New York population over the age of 18.
  2. ā€œTotalā€ represents the total number of individuals vaccinated in New York State by state, local and private vaccination providers as reported to NYSIIS and CIR.
  3. ā€œ% of Populationā€ represents New York residents vaccinated in New York State by state, local and private vaccination providers as a percent of the total New York population over the age of 18.

Interestingly, according to the seemingly less complete state data, the % of adults with at least one vax is 97% in Manhattan and 99% in Queens

I believe that. You can’t do jack shit in NYC without a vaccination card.

Do you really, though? If you just had a photo on you phone of some rando’s card, how much of the time would that work? 99%? 90%? Even less?

I don’t even live in the city and anecdotally I don’t know anyone who is not vaxxed at this point. There are so many employer vaccine requirements, etc. I believe it.

Employment is probably stricter. I meant for going to restaurants and such.

Yes, bt I mean it’s the confluence of so many different reasons to get vaccinated in NYC that I believe the vaccination rates you are reading are that high.

1 Like

Oh, yeah, I believe that. I’m just saying that an unvaxxed person who doesn’t need it for employment can do pretty much anything else with a trivial amount of effort.

Any business owner or employee who has checked for my card has glanced at it for no more than a fraction of a second.

I can’t think of a place I’ve been that required proof of vaccination that didn’t also ask for a photo ID to match up the name.

Does 97% include fake NYPD vaccinations?

3 Likes

I guess NYC is more strict that what I experience around me. In the last couple of months I have had about 50 requests to see proof of vax. Zero asked for ID.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/amp/rcna9263

If this is true the UK could peak before New Years, maybe NY a week or so after, maybe the rest of the US a week or so after that.