COVID-19: Chapter 9 - OMGicron

Fuck Covid so hard. Canada changed to level 3 risk today which is when many insurance companies stop coverage and given America’s flaming shit-filled dumpster fire healthcare system I can’t risk going there so I likely have to cancel my first trip in two years to see my brother in Portland.

Fucking unvaxxed should all be rounded up and locked away including being refused access to all healthcare services. Let them rot and die.

Fuck!

8 Likes

That sucks.

Can he go see you?

2 Likes

HF&M had me quarantining in February 2020 before it was cool. Shit sucks, man. You have my sympathy. I lost the entirety of the outer layers of skin around one toe at once during that. It’s super contagious, so definitely let that go away before getting boosted.

This issue is blowing up on the Disney World Boards as well. You can’t purchase some kind of travel health insurance?

Don’t think it’s the cost he’s upset about.

They stopped during covid at some point, not sure if it got resumed

If you’re worried, then you could just do this:

I’m not saying this is necessary.

The fact that there’s like multiple diseases that are just like “body part + body part disease” with no explanation at all what they are or anything is still really wild to me maybe I’m weird

2 Likes

Don’t understand what’s complicated about it. You get sores on your hands, feet, and mouth. Or on your hoof and mouth if you have hoof and mouth disease.

I mean, the nomenclature may not tell you much about the causative agent, but it’s not like it’s unknown. HFMD is viral, it’s not airborne but still highly contagious via various means, and, like I should have mentioned to @zimmer4141 earlier, you can still be contagious well after symptoms have subsided, unlike many other diseases.

was looking forward to seeing my brother too, but had to cancel the trip over a toddler getting RSV, and an infant being around. :frowning: covid not quite over for kids, but that doesn’t mean all the usual viruses aren’t a shitshow as per usual.

1 Like

The Omicron Covid variant has been found to multiply about 70 times quicker than the original and Delta versions of coronavirus in tissue samples taken from the bronchus, the main tubes from the windpipe to the lungs, in laboratory experiments that could help explain its rapid transmission.

The study, by a team from the University of Hong Kong, also found that the new variant grew 10 times slower in lung tissue, which the authors said could be an indicator of lower disease severity.

The initial data, published online and not yet peer-reviewed, came from experiments using lung tissue samples taken from patients during surgery. By 24 hours, the Omicron variant had replicated about 70 times more than Delta and the original variant. Although the bronchus is not the upper respiratory system, scientists said this could lead to people shedding more virus and passing on infections more easily.

R number for Omicron estimated to be between 3 and 5

Dr Susan Hopkins, chief medical advisor at the UK Health and Security Agency, says that for Omicron, the R value is between 3 and 5 in the UK, and that the variant is spreading rapidly - doubling in size every two days.

The current R value of the Delta epidemic in the UK is estimated to be between 1.1 and 1.2.

Further discussion on the Disney World forums from Canadians indicates you can purchase travel insurance that covers Covid through Manulife or Goose for $100. I have no idea what that means.

The insurance industry itself is warning people that their policies might not cover Level 3 travel destinations.

I would be surprised if Manulife is out there on a limb selling policies that offer coverage that the other insurers are not covering. I don’t think the issue is whether the policy “covers Covid” or not, the issue is that supplemental private health insurance for Canadians rather sensibly has exclusions for people that travel to countries with a high risk of medical costs. If people want to ignore government travel advisories and go to shithole countries like Somalia or Florida then they will have to deal with the health care costs on their own.

3 Likes

Has anyone heard anything about how Paxlovid will be rationed? Are there other scarce medications that have restrictive guidelines on who’s allowed to get them?

One tricky aspect is that the death-minimizing strategy would have to involve prioritizing the unvaccinated, but that seems insanely toxic politically.

Thanks. I am going to look into some options like this today. Only other thing that is making think I don’t have to cancel is we are only 4 hour drive from border so worst case we drive straight north to get to Canada and then figure out how to get home once back in the country.

I’m reading that some companies sell specific Covid insurance to add to your normal policy. Essentially a supplement. It sounds like my main underwriter might do this so it’s basically just them collecting some extra money for the risk.

Dumb thing is everyone who will be together is triple vaxxed and only my dad is over 50 so it seems pretty low risk.

2 Likes

Yeah, you can insure against almost anything if you pay enough.

1 Like