COVID-19: Chapter 9 - OMGicron

A post was merged into an existing topic: About Moderation

This goes for any complaints about moderation in this thread. Violators will eat a ban.

1 Like

I would like to compliment the moderation in this thread.

19 Likes

Do we have any idea/guesses on the succuss rate of our vaccines right now on omgcron?

Somewhere between 20 percent and 95 percent based upon the range of articles posted in this thread.

4 Likes

Almost certainly worse against Omicron than Delta. How much worse is anyone’s guess at this point.

2 Likes

Counterpoint: if you have problems with passing out from shots, tensing actually helps.

Let’s get this thread back on important stuff.

How do you pronounce “omicron”?
  • Long O - oh-mi-cron
  • Short O - ah-mi-cron
  • Other
0 voters

https://twitter.com/MotherJones/status/1466164615730147334

The same way as the ruler of Omicron Persei 8 does, of course.

10 Likes

This is in line with a study CN posted earlier that I thought was almost too good to be true. Really nice to see it backed up. I would not have hypothesized 6 months ago that boosters of the originals would make such a big difference against the current variants.

1 Like

I’m in the Oh-Mike-Ron camp.

Like most such things. It doesn’t matter how you choose to pronounce it. Just do it confidently AF, and everyone will believe you as long as it’s plausible (so omni-cron isn’t gonna fly no matter how much bluster you’ve got).

For some reason one of the things we were made to do while pledging my fraternity was recite the Greek alphabet as many times as possible with a lit match in your hand. I think my record was seven times. I pronounce it oh-mick-ron.

1 Like

Looking forward to the oops-ilon vs. up-silon conversation in, what, 6 months?

4 Likes

Epsilon did not kill himself

14 Likes

Defintely the latter.

Short ‘o’ is not pronounced ‘ah’, it’s pronounced ‘awe’, so awm-ick-ron.

Seems like second syllable should be muh like Omaha. Long O-muh-cron

1 Like

You’re neglecting the Germans’ üpsilon!

i so wish for english to adopt lots of diacritic modifiers.

my fraternity, which was the most fun thing I ever quit, and don’t get me wrong I’m not claiming any moral high ground about quitting now, nah I fully suspected in the moment how retrograde it all was but was just going along to get along to the point where it took me nearly two full years of blackouts and keg stands and I assume chronic asymptomatic chlamydia to snap out of it—fucked up my greek alphabet forever. We also had to say it fast except we had to say our dumbass three fraternity letters at the beginning and then leave them out of the rest of the alphabet, shudder

Later in college I even studied greek, but to this day I still have to think twice to make sure I’m getting the alphabet right. Just a classic gutless case of white privilege PTSD. Frats should burn like the topless towers of ilium

7 Likes