COVID-19: Chapter 9 - OMGicron

Dude will be reincarnated as Covid-22.

1 Like

Sweet. Guess I will skip the booster since I am already on it.

Get a booster and deal your supply to Covidiots.

1 Like

I haven’t and haven’t seen anyone on it.

I want to pick up some rapid at home tests. They have BinaxNOW or QuickVue, any difference between the two?

https://www.walgreens.com/store/c/binaxnow-covid-19-rapid-self-test-at-home-kit/ID=300414527-product

https://www.walgreens.com/store/c/quickvue-rapid-at-home-covid-19-test-kit/ID=300416410-product

Paxlovid (the Pfizer pill) appears even more effective then molupiravir.

I’ve used Binaxnow several times and found it not too difficult once your watch the youtube videos.

1 Like

Your article talks about waning and vaccine uptake issues.

Jman’s argument is a synthesis of data. The data that he’s using isn’t under question by serious people. There is no definitive answer to the question he was answering. The citation you’re asking for doesn’t exist, and the manner that you’re doing this isn’t helpful.

There are many complex reasons why counts are on the rise, unvaxxed people is probably one of them, people no longer socially distancing is certainly another.

1 Like

Interesting…

The COVID-19 pandemic in the United Kingdom has often foreshadowed what came later elsewhere. The highly contagious Alpha variant was first detected there, and the country then reported high caseloads of the more-contagious Delta strain before this variant dispersed around the rest of the world. The United Kingdom also saw a wave of infections that seems to have preceded a similar glut now sweeping Western Europe.

Furthermore, England was among the first regions in Western Europe to lift almost all of its COVID-19 restrictions, following one of the world’s fastest vaccine roll-outs. It ended the legal requirements for social distancing and mask use on 19 July, with Wales and Scotland — which set their own public-health policies — lifting most of their restrictions on 7 and 9 August, respectively. Northern Ireland followed on 31 October.

As one of the first countries to trust high vaccine coverage and public responsibility alone to control the spread of SARS-CoV-2, the United Kingdom has become a control experiment that scientists across the world are studying. “We are watching the increase in cases closely, trying to dissect what is going on and how that might influence our situation right now,” says Rafael Radi, a biochemist and coordinator of Uruguay’s COVID-19 Scientific Advisory Group.

Nature spoke to scientists around the world about what they hope to learn from the UK experience.

Is there anything to glean from this chart other than “vaccinations work”? Looks like before vaccines were widely available, cases and hospitalizations and deaths all surge together. With lots of vaccination, cases can come back but the most extreme outcomes do not.

2 Likes

There is no actual answer. Unlike wild claims about a specific treatment not working in a specific place, there is no definitive yes/no/X on this topic. Stop please

Depends on what your definition of success is right? If your goal is zero transmission it’s going to be an utter failure. There was some hope for that early on, but that seems silly in hindsight as specific social groups have said no thanks to vaccines. Even if Covid hadn’t become more infectious it would spread in those groups eventually

88% of the eligible at least double dosed, 6-8x less likelihood if vaxxed (as at September)? I dunno, I just post the sharkscope. Heavily skewed towards the 50+ age range though.

Lol Italy. And coming to America in 3-2-1…

1 Like

The Minister of Health is proposing a state of emergency be declared in the Czech Republic. The situation we’re in now isn’t as bad as it was in early 2021 but it’s on track to get there. Restrictions are already being placed on what services are being offered at hospitals and they’re being overwhelmed by COVID patients while the hospitals are understaffed (army medics are going to start working in hospitals soon).

This is vehemently opposed by a lot of politicians who fear a return to a lockdown will cause their popularity among voters to plummet.

An advisory staff unrelated to this has recommended mandatory vaccination and a validity of 6 months for any vaccination certificate. Both are actually really good ideas but so many vaccinations are that far out of date that it’d cause chaos along with the new policies in place.

As for school, about half of a class at a school is COVID positive with the rest quarantined as close contacts. For a few of my classes, a third of the students were absent for the same reasons. So yeah it’s hitting hard.

These are more generic. Could go in either.

Anyhoo- anyone know how to get my US vax card submitted to get an EU QR code? Heading over next week and seems like a lot of businesses only want to deal with the QR code’s, not US cards with stickers and/or handwriting.

1 Like

Amazing:

2 Likes