COVID-19: Chapter 9 - OMGicron

I think some of us have just given up on the concept of “we”. We’ve lost patience with the rest of humanity and no longer wish to take thankless precautions for their benefit. We’ve shifted to thinking about how we can reasonably protect ourselves without worrying about anyone else.

I openly admit to being a bad person who just wants all the morons to die and I’m willing to accept some collateral damage for that to happen. And I invite everyone to join me in feeling that way.

2 Likes

I said I’m a bad person. I’m fine if you agree. I don’t need people to think I’m a good person.

Maybe just not take it out on those of us here who have largely been doing what we can? That’s what I don’t get. What even is being disapproved of or where the war is in this thread? Arguments about science papers? I am not reading that shit ever and am literally the sheep trusting the experts. So that isn’t it. But let’s not pretend that is all that is going on here. You have explicitly called out others for their perceived views or transgressions. This idea that anywhere here gives a shit what you are doing is the real projection.

I don’t ignore you. You want it both ways. You want to chastise people for what you perceive as poor behavior (eating out or getting tired of masks while sill wearing them) while not remotely actually listening to what are very reasonable pleas to return to normalacy.

Like either you returned to the reasonable level of normal (vaxxed/masks/avoiding crowded sports/concerts) which I hope you did. Or you haven’t done that and want us to think your version is normal while you seem to be upset people here who want to exceed that.

I’m not missing your point. YOU are the one who literally repeatedly brings up eating out over and over and over as a totally unreasonable thing to do.

Isn’t this basically the same thing he said last time?

Also most of this sounds like common wisdom at this point. I haven’t heard “herd immunity” in forever. Ever since we knew vaxxed people could catch and spread it that obviously went out the window.

Believe you are in Canada somewhere - are restaurants and bars in your community closed for in person stuff still? No concerts and sporting events? I’m legit curious if places are actually still locked down and I base most of my non-US COVID precaution knowledge on seeing sports venues packed with unmasked folks around the world but I haven’t seen a ton of Canadian events - will check out the World Cup qualifier tomorrow and see if they have fans for that…

I spent a weekend in Canada (Niagara Falls) several weeks ago. They are very good about mask requirements and require proof of vaccines to enter restaurants, but they are certainly not locked down.

1 Like

Nowhere in Canada is closed down anymore. Alberta I believe is letting it rip more or less, rest require QR codes and vaccines to eat in, masks for grocery stores etc.
There now is a Canada wide QR code thing but I haven’t done anything with that beyond my provincial one.

There will be ~50k fans tomorrow for the game, I would have went if the roads aren’t near undriveable. You have to be vaccinated to attend and have to scan to get in.

1 Like

Meanwhile, in Hong Kong…

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2021-11-15/cathay-aircrew-who-flew-from-frankfurt-to-take-21-day-quarantine

3 pilots tested positive after returning from Frankfurt, so Cathay is treating basically all crew members who flew from Franfurt since Nov 1 as possible contacts, sending them to 21 day quarantine in a government facility.

1 Like

This reminded me of a clip I saw of some dude who is basically the Vietnamese Alex Jones. Do they watch/listen to that guy?

Question for the law bros:

I have actually been wondering about this since the beginning of the pandemic.

If you are a citizen of the US, it is my understanding if you show up at a port of entry, then they have to let you in, no matter what. They can force you to quarantine or they could arrest/detain you if they have reason to do so, but they have to let you in. Is that correct?

If so how does this testing requirement square with that. The only thing I can think of is that they can maybe require you to get a COVID test to get on a plane, since that is not specifically denying you entry. But maybe I’m just not understanding something.

Here’s the specific guy if you’re interested:

1 Like

Let me just say one thing that isn’t directed at anyone’s post or immediate point. EVERYONE here has done a pretty damn good job during Covid. We have helped each other in lots of ways. We have shared anecdotes, information, science and experience.

I do truly thank you all. If I have had some level of vitriol towards you trust me most of it comes from whatever is going on with me and you were just the unfortunate target. As much as UP has been a dysfunctional mess Covid would have been worse without UP. And lest we forget UP is nothing more than a collabaration between us all.

31 Likes

So I was talking to a friend of mine who took his daughter to a birthday party recently. Apparently his family was the only one wearing masks…sigh…whatever

But can we end the practice of blowing out candles for birthday cakes? Even more so can we ban trick candles where you have to blow even harder?

Needless to say, friend required his daughter to get the ice cream which she was fine with.

2 Likes

Bars in the US or bars anywhere?

Is this actually a problem? Like it sounds squicky to eat germs breathed onto a birthday cake, but if I’ve learnt anything this pandemic, it’s that just breathing in virus is how you get respiratory viruses. The virus has to get into your respiratory tract. What I’m getting at is, while eating birthday cake that has been breathed onto by an infectious person sounds worse than just being in a room with them, I’d be willing to bet that being in the room with them is orders of magnitude worse.

Edit: I mean huffing and puffing hard to blow candles out is probably not great, much like singing Happy Birthday is probably not great, but it’s not a problem that will be fixed by getting the icecream.

This was my impression.

I probably have a better chance of entering America by getting COVID now and overcoming it than by avoiding it over the course of the next month.

That’s not an incentive government policy should be pushing.

There are lots more ways to get sick than just respiratory viruses.

Well sure, but still we’re talking about Ohio iirc?

Just got a close contact notification for my 9th grader (date of last exposure: 11/12). He’s fully vaccinated, wears a mask in school, and has exhibited no symptoms. However, he has participated in swimming practice, which is obviously unmasked.

Wife and I are obviously pissed off at the world, but are wondering how we should react. We plan on testing him today with a home test. But we have questions like:

• Should we keep sending him to school? I think the answer is clearly yes given his vaccination status and lack of symptoms.
  • Should this influence his outside activities. For example, he takes piano lessons (masked, in person) and has a swim meet this weekend. We’re inclined to continue on both, contingent on a negative test.
  • Do we change any Thanksgiving plans? (We’re hosting) I’m inclined to say no, contingent on a negative test.
  • Do other family members change behavior at all? I’m scheduled to teach in person on Thursday - is that an issue?

Mostly just venting.