COVID-19: Chapter 9 - OMGicron

He took it away :confused:

1 Like

Interesting if true, but also completely false. Canada’s public health authority has this to say on the subject:

Following the initial authorizations for COVID-19 vaccines, data have become available that suggest that protection can be improved upon when the interval between the first and second doses are extended beyond the original manufacturer’s recommended intervals. These data include immunogenicity and effectiveness of a first dose, data on waning immunity or effectiveness of the first dose prior to receipt of the second dose and data on immunogenicity and effectiveness following the second dose after a delayed interval. Taken together, the interval between dose 1 and 2 for the current COVID-19 vaccines that appears to provide optimal protection while simultaneously minimizing the time at risk of infection due to having protection from only one dose is 8 weeks for mRNA vaccines and at least 8 weeks for AstraZeneca Vaxzevria. These optimal intervals may change as further evidence on duration of protection accumulates.

1 Like

Yes, we did run through this in Chapter 6 or 7 as I know you’re aware - UK used a series of intervals between doses during intial vaccine trials and didn’t go just by the instructions on the packet - which some ITT deemed reckless at the time. 8 weeks was deemed the sweet spot though they never did, to the best of my knowledge, make the results public.

Other countries followed suit, obviously privy to the results inc, I believe, Canada, Germany and 2 or 3 others. This had little to do with vaccine supply other than it’s always not a bad idea to stretch vaccine supply where results merit.

There was this one too kinda confirming the Dec 2020 decision was the right one

1 Like

Your link literally states they use the standard dosing schedule and note limitations to their “optimal” time. So I’m left wondering what exactly you think is absolutely false.

Surely the NYT has a reference to the study that would say what dose schedule was used.

So you’re saying it’s because you’re whiter?

Like if using a later schedule had proven benefits of longer lasting protection I would absolutely love to see it guys, but the data you’re using here can’t be used to say that.

Eh, I still dont know if it was the right decision, even though I mostly buy the longer dosage break is likely better long-term. Dont know if it was the wrong one either, think was a hard call.

These are the 3 studies referenced in the Times:

2 Likes

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-59245018

The UK’s never changed that decision (8 week minimum interval) and we’ve been vaccinating for 12 months less 3 weeks now with no real shortage of supply. They’ve stood by the original 2019 vaccine trial results.

We’re still screwed with cases though - could be more screwed i guess

Tyvm the Canadian paper clearly makes a solid case that it lasts longer. At least in the abstract.

1 Like

Yeah its the trade off between effectiveness and getting people vaccinated faster in high transmission environments. Given we are all likely getting a third shot at some point and rampant COVID idk the right answer and haven’t really seen a cost/benefit study conclusive either way.

1 Like

Here’s you:

the fact that they’re are currently using the standard dosing schedule means they don’t think it’s some great benefit

Here’s Canada:

the interval between dose 1 and 2 for the current COVID-19 vaccines that appears to provide optimal protection while simultaneously minimizing the time at risk of infection due to having protection from only one dose is 8 weeks for mRNA vaccines

Quiz: Do the Canadian health authorities believe that there’s a benefit to dosing Pfizer/Moderna at a longer interval than the manufacturer-recommended schedule?

when you switch from ‘great benefit’ to ‘a benefit’ we’re not being honest here.

1 Like

We really shouldn’t be concentrating on case counts anymore in these high vax European countries (UK might not really qualify compared to some other Euro countries though). Instead, we should be concentrating on hospitalization rates and deaths. The Germany headlines sound not great, but lets see what happens with their hospitalization and death rate.

Something for unvaxxed Austrian UPers to consider:

3 Likes

We sure aren’t!

4 Likes

Under 12’s not eligble here when comparing to some Euro countries where they are (and other ROW countries where they are eligible with still lower vax rates per capita than the UK) And,I know some don’t believe in long covid but, where they do, always best to keep case numbers low so it’s not always about death stats (IMO)

Had a teacher’s meeting and policy is that unvaccinated teachers need to wear masks in classrooms while vaccinated teachers don’t.

This effectively puts a scarlet letter on unvaccinated teachers. The entire staff was in a room and the unvaccinated were required to wear a mask. Turns out the vast majority of teachers are fully vaccinated in my school. So that’s pretty good news. Problem is that most of those who aren’t are in the English department. No idea why unvaccinated teachers are overrepresented in foreign language teaching.