COVID-19: Chapter 9 - OMGicron

I know numerous Mexicans who came to the US for their vaccines. Since I go to so many Mexican-focused websites I was even getting targeted ads from travel companies to fly to the US to get a vaccine back in like May.

I think you just show up and say “I want the shot” and they give it to you. Literally nobody ever asked me anything, you don’t need to explain why you want it.

2 Likes

I find Americans trying to do British accents at least twice as funny as Brits trying to do American ones. But they’re both good for a laugh. Occasionally, you’ll find an actor that can nail it.

I dont think we know the deal with ongoing boosters yet. Might just turn out to be a three shot vax series and then that’s it until/unless immune evasion variant occurs. We will know more by early-mid '22.

Howdy pardner!

5 Likes

oh yeah I think americans are probably worse at it (90% of americans think english/scottish/irish/austrailian accents are all the same anyway) but it’s the (relative) novelty of hearing the reverse that I enjoy

dewey crowe

Damon Herriman, born in Australia.

2 Likes

Right. What’s all this then?

Just say that over and over. Easy peasie.

2 Likes

Vaccine interest has surged in the Czech Republic response to the spike in cases we’ve had this week.

It’s as though covid had to remind us of its existence.

“This sub-lineage has become increasingly common in the UK in recent months, and there is some early evidence that it may have an increased growth rate in the UK compared to Delta,” the UKHSA said.

and…

Covid cases in Belgium surge by 60% in a week

Daily reported Covid cases in Belgium have reached their highest level in almost a year, after a 60% rise over the previous week.

On Friday, the country recorded almost 6,500 cases - as many as in November last year, just before the government ordered a second lockdown.

However, the infection rate is still below the country’s peak in mid-October of last year, when cases were running at 15,000 a day, contributing to Belgium having one of the world’s highest per-capita death rates from Covid.

But with 87% of the eligible population vaccinated, Belgium’s coronavirus commissioner says vaccines are preventing 70% of infections and 90% of hospital admissions.

Elsewhere in Europe, Germany has recorded a 70% week-on-week rise in infections, with 19,572 reported on Friday.

And as we mentioned earlier, Poland has seen its case numbers rise by 106% in a week.

4 Likes

Lots of my family from Peru came to get the vaccine earlier this year and no one had an issue getting one. Tickets to fly to the US around that time were crazy expensive because anyone from Latin America with the means to do so would fly to Miami, Dallas, etc to get vaccinated.

Miami’s vax rate is pretty high, but I suspect those numbers are inflated by the many people who flew there to get vaxxed.

1 Like

This shit is super seasonal right?

Seems we’ve had 18 months of commentary attributing covid trajectory to policy differences when summer/winter is actually the biggest contributor.

1 Like

I dont know if it seasonal, but I do agree with Dr. Osterholm when he says COVID goes in waves for 2-3 months and we dont completely know why yet.

2 Likes

I have a hard time understanding it all. It’s almost like policy differences change the long term magnitude of it, but the short term growth rate and spikes almost happen independently of policy. Japan and Korea have catastrophic looking spikes, but adjusted for population they’re nothing compared to the USA.

It’s almost like the virus is destined to go HAM for 6 week periods suddenly, doubling every week or two regardless of mitigation before falling away. The only difference is whether you’re starting from 100 or 1,000 or 10,000 cases per day as your baseline, which it the part that seems to be a function of policy.

I know it’s nowhere near that simple, but that’s sure what the data makes it look like.

1 Like

seasonality is a plausible explanation for pathogens that have already become endemic. but while the variants are still novel, and travel between countries is still very much depressed, it’s apparent that they don’t hit every country at the same time. the waves are offset from one another, sometimes by months, and they obviously get affected by behavioral changes (which can be both seasonal and non-seasonal) and can be exacerbated by policy changes on top of that.

delta made a really weird trek around the world.

11 days out for Dad. 8 for his gf. All seems good.

The dream for 100 stays alive.

32 Likes

That’s something we don’t know much about at all. Sure seems like it had no problem booming on both summer and fall.

Lockdown and opening up also go in waves, making it hard to tell cause from effect.

Not in red states, which is why their cycles are so interesting.

Florida has done fuck all since spring for mitigation, they don’t have nearly enough cases+fully vaccinated people to get to any sort of herd immunity unless maybe you double the cases and assume no one who’s gotten it has also gotten vaccinated, but their numbers are way down right now.