COVID-19: Chapter 9 - OMGicron

https://www.cnn.com/2021/10/22/politics/glenn-thompson-covid-19-test/index.html

I’m thinking Anya Taylor Joy and the dude who played Benny from Queen’s Gambit and the guy from the TV show The Mentalist who pulled off perfect American accents. Is it easier for Australians and Brits than the other way around?

Disagree on Mentalist. I could tell he was not American pretty quickly without trying.

Queens Gambit girl was good. I didn’t notice anything obvious.

Shiv on Succession does a great job, imo. Tom, on the other hand, is a bit off.

Both Tom and Mentalist have the same problem. Their accents are Americanish, but they are just a bit off in a subtle way that makes you think it is not how they really speak.

I think it’s easier for Austrailans and Brits mainly because they have more access to American TV and movies than we do to theirs.

Also they have a bigger incentive to learn how to pull off an American accent what with the gigantic US viewership. No one is going to spend a lot of time trying to perfectly nail an Aussie accent.

for sure, that too

Amazing what you can get away with if you have the right accent.

1 Like

“Sometimes I feel like the whole country has become a resuscitation department,” said Dorel Sandesc, head of intensive care at Timisoara hospital in western Romania.

what is china vaccinating with? is it effective?

No it’s not terribly effective (from memory efficacy was ~50%). There are even ambulances waiting at vaccination centres in case people have an adverse reaction, which naturally puts people off the idea.

If you’re working though most companies stipulate that you have to be vaxxed unless you have some conditions, which helps.

1 Like

My dad has the Sinovac vaccine. He has resisted my efforts to get him to do Pfizer or Moderna on top of that because he thinks they are all the same.

Why didn’t china buy moderns or Pfizer?

Where does he live?

He’s currently in the US. He might consider a booster of one of the US approved ones.

1 Like

Where in the US is Sinovac available? I’ve only seen Pf, Moderna and JnJ in my neck of the woods.

Nowhere

He was overseas and waited for the vaccine before traveling to the US.

Maybe cost and availability? IIRC, the Sinovac vaxx came out fairly early in the pandemic.

In Mexico it’s just a random smorgasbord of vaccines. Lots of Sputnik, Sinovac, and Cansino, some AstraZ and Pfizer, and a bit of JnJ that the USA gifted to border regions.

I don’t really know. If you have a massive population maybe the cost per unit is less if you develop/manufacture your own, and you have control of supply.

Plus of course China has top quality scientists and labs (though it’s a surprise that their vaccines should be lower efficacy) and pots of money to invest.

My understanding is they raced to completion and roll out faster. Pretty sure they had, and still have, produced a lot more doses.

There were probably a few tradeoffs along the way where they decided that it was good enough.