COVID-19: Chapter 9 - OMGicron

NFTs + COVID. The two absolute worst storylines of the last two years, together at last.

4 Likes

Yeah, the logistics of getting them to poorer regions/remote people is easier, maybe scales easier but I’m not sure. His take is that the vaccines need better properties against spread to be able to lift NPI, and nasal spray may stop spread, but the nasal spray specifically is just easier to administer/deliver.

Not like it will be as deadly as today for 5-10
years or anything, at least in rich countries, just will be ongoing waves, variants, etc that will require mitigation until we get better vax

1 Like

In theory. In reality the drug store AI pharmacist will be processing all your data to manipulate you into buying more consumer goods at the CVS. At least the human pharmacist has a primary purpose of delivering health care and is probably capable of empathy. The AI just wants to use your brain chemistry to get you to buy Kit Kats and toilet paper.

2 Likes

I read somewhere yesterday that the roll out of kids vaccines might be a little slow because the way the dosage works. Something about how because the kids dose is so small they can’t just divvy up adult doses because they’d be too small to inject. Instead they have to make new specific kids doses.

Didn’t sound like the worlds hardest problem to solve, and maybe uptake for kids isn’t that high anyways initially. Sounded like we were going back to a state allocation system and shortages expected initially though. Kind of a PITA for people trying to vax kids for the holidays.

Putin on Wednesday strongly urged Russians to get the shots, saying “it’s a matter of your life and health and the health of your dear ones.”

“There are only two ways to get over this period — to get sick or to receive a vaccine,” Putin said. “It’s better to get the vaccine, why wait for the illness and its grave consequences? Please be responsible and take the necessary measures to protect yourself, your health and your close ones.”

The Russian leader, who received the domestic Sputnik V vaccine earlier this year, said he’s puzzled to see hesitancy about vaccines, even among his close friends.

“I can’t understand what’s going on,” Putin said. “We have a reliable and efficient vaccine. The vaccine really reduces the risks of illness, grave complications and death.”

If you’re in Southern California Bakers >>>>> Inn & out. Burgers way juicer and if you’re sophisticated you can get a quesadilla with your burger instead of just fries.

I think people getting In and out when they travel to CA is more of a cultural thing. Obviously there are WAY better local joints and Bakers.

One thing I’ll say is I’m glad they pay their people well, although working in one seems like hell because they’re almost always super busy. Same goes for U-Line. Seems like some of the most successful right wing businesses have figured out if you pay your people well you get hard work, low turn around, reliability and loyalty. Wish the rest would figure that out.

One of the best things about In and out is how well they’re run. You can be in a MASSIVE line and that shit flies, order is never wrong, and thats because people are getting paid decently.

1 Like

I’m sure policy differs everywhere, but aren’t the legit religious exemptions so narrow that anyone trying to claim them would basically get shitcanned if they were seen taking a Tylenol for a headache or seeking medical care for, like, anything? I feel like there are ways to keep people from taking advantage of this.

1 Like

The problem is hospitals don’t have enough nurses. So they aren’t going to pull out all the stops on enforcement because they don’t have replacement nurses on hand.

I think you’re right. This article has some discussion of the logistics.

Looks like there’s going to be a new wave of “Where does DeSantis go for his apology” stories.

4 Likes

I don’t think there’s a better burger out there served by a restaurant with a drive thru, but it’s obviously easy to beat at specialty sit-down places.

You don’t get out much do you? LFS may not even know about Bakers. It’s only out San Bernardino/Riverside.

1 Like

LOL, seems a bit like giving credit to an active shooter for stopping after everybody is already dead.

6 Likes

wonder which wave we will stop getting these and accept that COVID comes in waves and just look at Florida’s massive unnecessary death and illness. Like fifth wave? sixth wave?

1 Like

There’s still nothing to suggest that people who are vaccinated or people who have already gotten sick with covid are going to be dying in droves in future waves. We live with the flu and the 30k or so people that kills every year. Maybe future covid mutations will cause huge new death waves. But I don’t think we can know that will happen.

Maybe. Hopefully. I dont see a lot of evidence that we are done with death waves in places with US levels of vaccination even ex-mutations, especially in the low vax areas, but definitely a lot of unknowns.

I ran the math on it yesterday for MA and we are at something like 32K deaths a year at current run rate expanded out to the US, but keep in mind thats still with heavy masking. We could kinda muddle through at 32k deaths a year if long COVID turns out to not be a big thing (except for the perma fucked immunocompromised) not great but probably could do it. I sort of expect another wave coming up here though, Vermont is already to record levels.

Gun to head Id bet we get at least a partially immune evading variant sooner rather than later. I say that based on a number of people Ive heard from suggesting it is likely (SAGE saying it is virtually inevitable, Pfizer CEO planning for immune evasion in '22, etc) as well as evidence of immune evading variants already occuring, just being outcompeted by delta. More vaccination and more delta immunity seems like it would put more pressure towards immune evasion, but definitely a maybe/will have to see kind of thing with some rand() to it. I hope that what we see in '22 is cases with a real decoupling of deaths and hospitalizations, but thats more in the hope to happen than likely to happen bucket to me. Near-term we are going to need to figure out better answers for boosters and immunity waning, but should have a better sense there by Q1 '22 according to Osterholm and other experts.

EDIT: actually never mind, im an idiot, we are still at 220K deaths a year or so 7-day average still is a daily death number, not a weekly.

Even with a new variant, it’s quite unlikely we get the kinds of mortality rates we saw when COVID first hit. Most RNA viruses mutate much faster than COVID and we aren’t whalloped with catastrophe every year.

Sort of depends on how it mutates is my understanding.

Even without mutations, idk, we are still seeing death at levels that is not really sustainable without major damage to healthcare/life expectancy. Hopefully reinfection just isnt a thing, but that seems like a pretty optimistic view.

One thing I agree with you on here s that we just wont have a swath of mass death in elder care facilities like we did at the start of COVID, that should knock down mortality rates from the worst of COVID barring some real doomsday mutation.