COVID-19: Chapter 9 - OMGicron

My wife manages a combo primary care/urgent care office, which apparently was already a dysfunctional idea, but this past month has been a total shitshow. She’s had multiple providers out with COVID or other illnesses all of December, so it’s just been a merry-go-round of calling a million scheduled patients and rescheduling them for appointments that will just have to be rescheduled again. Meanwhile they’ve been told not to turn anybody away no matter how busy, so docs are spending minutes with each patient and staying way late every night. And of course this is still peanuts compared to what hospitals have to deal with.

1 Like

You aren’t going to like the reform.

More broadly, what about COVID response is making you say “you know, maybe we need more crises to force action”? Sort of seems like the lesson is that we will burn through the vulnerable like cannon fodder and most of the population will go along with it to keep the status quo in place.

4 Likes

No and kindly knock it off with this.

I think Florida is interesting to watch because it got hit by Delta as hard as anywhere. Apparently that isn’t stopping Omicron.

I’m at the point of thinking we have 0% hope on the current track and 5% hope if we shake things up and unleash forces that we can’t possibly predict, so might as well go with the slim chance where we’re not drawing dead.

10 posts were merged into an existing topic: About Moderation

Oh yeah, agreed, was making a side point but probably should have just not jumped off of your post. Parts of India are another early stage example of this.

Did we laugh at Faucci for saying the quiet part out loud?

1 Like

Wow!

Knock it off with advocating health care reform in the US…??..wat?

Which side are you on.?
The track we’re on is just the money-sucking shit train of health providers and health insurance leeches.

I’m hoping the entire fucking system doesn’t collapse and people who need essential surgeries get them. Not sure how obtuse you have to be to not get that, but somehow you got there.

Trolly, this doesn’t make sense. Please parse.

Team NBZ says UHC, unless I’m mistaken. And the system you mention is a real shit system.

Edit: I get we’re on similar thought trains, but NBZ has a point about something needing to break.

This is why the first rule of poker is never, ever fold.

2 Likes

A post was merged into an existing topic: About Moderation

2 posts were merged into an existing topic: About Moderation

He didn’t and you are. Or else you’re just trolling.

I chose to be non-specific and let the reader envision their own preferred changes to the health care system.

This is basically it. We have a significant segment of the population who are so far-gone that it would take a palpable catastrophe directly affecting them to get some of them to change their minds. And that’s only some, not all.

The entire health care system collapsing probably causes less collateral damage than outright civil war, so I’m actually looking to minimize the transitional costs.

I’m not getting the connection between COVID spreading like wildfire and UHC. Even if we had perfect UHC now, COVID would still overwhelm capacity. The problem is that there are not enough beds for everyone who needs care at this time.

I just don’t see how someone looks at our current debacle and says, “Surely this will persuade the US to move to UHC”. UHC wouldn’t actually fix this problem.

The long-term result will be less healthcare for the middle class with a pay for service healthcare system for the wealthy.

If you break the current health care system bad enough, society would have no choice but to invent something new to replace it. Or just have the Somalia of health care systems, which is a real risk.