COVID-19: Chapter 8 - Ongoing source of viral information, and a little fun

Why does it scare you?

I heard vaccines cause autism. Be careful out there!

1 Like

Of course, no one is in favor of it in principle. However, if it were enacted, GOP would be ded, which would be great. That’s why it’s fun to daydream about. Obviously it’s never happening.

2 Likes

I don’t think it’s unreasonable to have concerns about the impact of a quickly rushed-out vaccine on one’s long-term or even short-term health, even while consenting to get it as the better of two undesirable options.

3 Likes

Man I love your posting but this is such a horrible take. Yikes.

5 Likes

I can’t believe that’s not trolling.

I mean I’m getting the vaccine and I’m certainly no anti-vaxxer. And I’d rather take my chances with the vaccine than with COVID. In an ideal world I’d prefer neither.

But what is incorrect about being concerned about the vaccine’s potential impact on my health?

3 Likes

Sure. Its also reasonable I guess to worry that every time you get on the highway you might die. But the relative intensity of the feeling vs the risk tells you that something irrational is in play. I dont really blame you, because its natural to have fear of new things that is disproportionate to the actual risk. That’s just human.

1 Like

I get your point. I guess I’m more sensitive to things concerning my physical health because I’ve had some health issues in the past.

3 Likes

My kid did virtual school last year (7th grade) and can’t wait to go back for her final year of middle school. She’s fully vaccinated. Should I send her back to in-person school or do one more year of virtual? Degree of difficulty: Florida

Wasn’t trying to troll or be a contrarian. My day’s drawing close and I’m grateful for it, but rational or not it does scare me and I was just trying to express that.

3 Likes

I’ve never read a dishonest post from you. That was part of the reason for me saying that. I totally believe you.

3 Likes

I’m vaxed but have concern about the long term simply because there is no way to know what if any long term complications will arise from it.

The data is clear that in the short term the vaccine is safer that covid.

Also the vaccine is most likely safer than covid in the long term as well.

I understand where you are coming from. Don’t let people beat you up over it.

4 Likes

2 Likes

Because it’s already been administered to hundreds of millions of people, and the worst they’ve found, other than a day of feeling kinda crappy, is at roughly 1 in a million chance of nontrivial complications, a much lower rate than that for other approved therapies like e.g. birth control.

4 Likes

It’s fine to be concerned obviously. You know the odds are better for you with the vaccine than not. Not a bad take at all. You know the odds are it’s extremely unlikely to be more than a little sick for a day or so. GL and congrats. It’s a big relief when you’re fully vaxxed.

3 Likes

OK we need to get a more consistent naming scheme for these variants.

https://twitter.com/washingtonpost/status/1422650736685559811?s=21

Billions of doses. Massive decrease in morbidity from Covid vs the unvaxxed. Very rare negative consequences beyond a day of discomfort.

Reward-risk ratio is yuge.

Sounds like some kind of anxiety. If it interferes with you daily life, seek medical/mental health help.

or this

4 Likes