COVID-19: Chapter 7 - Brags, Beats, and Variants

There is easily enough capacity to make vaccines for everyone right now. However…
There are enough houses in the world to house every homeless person,
There is enough food in the world to feed every hungry person,
There are enough resources in the world for everyone to have far more than they need for a decent life.

But it don’t work that way, by deisgn. It has been a long and careful process to get things to the fucked up state they’re in where these insanities are taken for granted as ‘just how things are’. If we start just making vaccines for people what will they ask for next? Can’t have that.

11 Likes
2 Likes

I’m trying to do my part by making my own small-batch bathtub vaccine at home. Look out for Trolly’s Reserve at the Brooklyn Flea Market this Summer

7 Likes

Yeah, when I run the numbers it seems like it will be hard to get over 60% of total pop.

Assuming vaccinations have been approved for ages 12 and up by then, that still leaves ~14.6% of the population ineligible.

If vaccination rates among the eligible are 66%, that translates to 56% of the total population.
Similarly, 70% among the eligible implies 60% of everyone, and 75% implies 64%.

Expertise is not meaningless, as exemplified by various issues with production. Making this is a lot harder than you think

https://twitter.com/educationweek/status/1377350068873924608?s=21

works at an elementary school in Iowa where masks are not required, so no students and very few staff wear them, she said.

3 Likes

So this is a super important article, and references exactly what Dan and I were talking about months ago when we said the literature for opening schools was not robust. Implementation of school opening was always going to be extremely different than those studies, especially the wisconsin one with the near perfect adherence to mask and distancing protocols.

2 Likes

If this was a game of Civilization, it definitely seems like as soon as you discovered mRNA Vaccines, you would instantly start Vaccine Factories in all of your cities because they would protect you from pandemics and provide some completely broken bonus to population health.

In my opinion, what we are seeing is that no one in US/Canadian/European political leadership is really willing to rock the boat over COVID, and that things can only move so fast without really shaking things up. Supply chains and regulations and patents do matter until someone in power says “Fuck you, we’re doing this, bring me a plan tomorrow or you’re fired.” By and large, our political leadership has largely judged that the risks to them of taking that kind of stance outweigh the benefits. It’s baffling to me, but it seems to be the case.

4 Likes

I viscerally hate this guy

2 Likes

On Wednesday, Russia announced it had registered what it said was the world’s first animal-specific jab.

1 Like

Yesterday Washington said they will open up vaccines to anyone >16 on April 15th. I just got a text message saying I’m eligible! :tada: Now to the appointment things and to adjust my poll response. Mid 30s with some underlying things

1 Like

People understand what a conspiracy theory is and why it’s called that right?

Anyways, this article was a “fun” read.

1 Like

Agree whole-heartedly with this statement but are we to cease genomic surveillance too because who gives a shit how we got in this mess? And who cares what might be coming?

Here we are, this should change the topic, for at least a few posts

About one in five people have symptoms of long Covid five weeks after an initial infection and one in seven after 12 weeks, an Office of National Statistics (ONS) survey suggests.

It estimates that 1.1 million people were affected in the UK in the four weeks from 6 February.

About 20% of people said ongoing symptoms limited their day-to-day activities a lot.

RiteAid doesn’t have the updated eligibility guidelines, oh well they are probably booked up anyways. Signed up for a bunch of waitlists since I can’t find a single open spot nearby. Unfortunately I am “oncall” this week at work and realistically can’t drive several hours to a more rural area. Going to look to see what’s available for next week in those rural place though.

3 Likes

Pfizer says its vaccine is preventing 91% of coronavirus cases in the six months after people are immunised.

And a separate study shows even people in their 80s and 90s are producing impressive levels of antibodies after receiving both doses of the vaccine.

Only 63% of them, however, also produce the T-cells that help maintain those antibodies in the longer term.

So 90% of populations need to be vaccinated needed I guess, to reach the 70-85% herd immunity if T-cell protection wading in and out

I received my first dose at Island Drug on Whidbey Island yesterday, and don’t live on Whidbey. It seems like they’ve been getting and giving a lot of doses, and generally have a lot of available appointments. I think they usually open up their nest week slots on Sunday. Pfizer is what they’ve been administering.

6 Likes

My dad got his there yesterday. He said they were giving options on what vaccine you wanted? Seemed crazy to me but he said he chose Pfizer.

2 Likes

They didn’t give me any option, but I was there in the afternoon. They were cycling through a lot of people. I felt like I was at the highest risk of catching COVID during the 15 minute wait after the shot then any other time in the last year. The only option they gave me was Pfizer when I signed up for the appointment and that’s what they gave me.

Interesting:

3 Likes

I think that is a big part of the lab leak pushback. It’s associated with Trump so you’ll get instinctive push back just from that. Which is understandable but also regrettable.