COVID-19: Chapter 7 - Brags, Beats, and Variants

Just letting you know I grew up in MI - not relevant to thread so deleted

~Twice as many hospitalizations with the UK variant, hence my concern (assumes lockdown before full dominance - UK locked down since mid Dec for eg)

The coronavirus variant that has moved through the UK is now spreading ā€œrapidlyā€ through the US, according to a new study published on Sunday.

The more contagious strain is nearly doubling its prevalence among confirmed cases in the US every nine days.

The spread of the variant, known as B.1.1.7, has put added pressure on vaccination efforts worldwide.

The US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) has predicted it could be the predominant strain by March.

The report, posted on the preprint server MedRxiv, is a collaboration of several researchers and scientists. It has not yet been peer-reviewed or published in a journal.

1 Like

Can I just say itā€™s disgusting to celebrate people dying of this.

The only exception Iā€™m ok with on this are extremely powerful boomers who had a personal hand in making this into the generational tragedy weā€™re all living through.

That accurately describes the deceased. Thereā€™s an awful lot to be sad about in this thing, but thereā€™s almost as much to be enraged by. This was a largely preventable disaster. This man helped make it worse.

1 Like

This one didnā€™t age very well. He died of COVID 3 days later.

https://twitter.com/repronwright/status/1357771651027521548?s=21

1 Like

One reason I stopped playing live poker a few years ago is because I didnā€™t want to spend 5+ hours of my leisure time trapped at a table with assholes, just to win a little money.

4 Likes

Iā€™m sure thereā€™s other stuff in this guyā€™s history, but this is a mainstream take of many people in this thread who I sure as hell wouldnā€™t celebrate the death of, even if I think the take is dumb (and I do think itā€™s dumb)

meh the flu kills more members of US congress every year

6 Likes

Meh. Criticism accepted. It is on the rude side and may not be to everyoneā€™s taste.

My thought process is that I have no control over this guy living or dying, so posting notice of someone who advocated for poor health policies during a pandemic dying from the deadly disease fits the bill and lying in the bed he made for himself and the rest of us. Pointing that out is fair game to me.

As a human being I feel bad for his family. But I do wonder what Trumpy idiots (anyone that voted against certification of the election fits) did the day RBG died.

There were two camps:

• Overtly ecstatic and broadcasted it to the world
  • Pretended to be sad, but were clearly ecstatic once you got past the obviously fake concern

I donā€™t think the death toll was largely preventable. The best case scenario as far as government response was Germany and their cases per capita are half or a third of ours. The majority of the disinformation was generated organically, so unless your ā€œdeserves to dieā€ list includes Facebook people, there was always going to be a lot of people who DGAF.

1 Like

Turns out @spidercrab that we have similar thoughts on the subject?

I can understand the urge to feel good about certain people dying, but I think that urge is bad, and I actively try to avoid that line of thinking. And I think itā€™s completely distasteful to label people WINNAR when they die, like itā€™s all a big internet joke.

Maybe Iā€™m misinterpreting your point?

1 Like

Iā€™d put the level of evidence here as anecdotal. The basic idea is that if we make it difficult, but not impossible to multiply, we are selecting for mutants that can at least partially evade the immune system. Itā€™s much easier to evade monoclonals and convalescent plasma than a fully functional immune system.

But by giving the virus some footholds to hang on to survive increases the odds eventually an accumulation of changes may cause problems long term.

Big debt to the UK and other countries for doing the detective work. Hopefully us colonists will catch up.

No you have it. My line is just in a different place than yours but none of us are innocents.

I donā€™t remember seeing anybody call out the Cain memes, for instance.

10794943-large

1 Like

In other words, someone like Merkel: thoughtful but center-right.

So Obama with an R next to his name?

No. Obama is center-left.

1 Like