COVID-19: Chapter 6 - ThanksGRAVING

I don’t think flying is a death trap. It is certainly riskier than remaining isolated, but probably less risky than spending an equal amount of time at a bar, so long as reasonable procedures are being enforced.

I would be more concerned about the trip back because you will be exposing yourself to people who probably went to family gatherings for the holidays (complete with kids back from college) and those gatherings risk being spreading events. If you can only go home once a year, I’d pick any time other than Christmas (or Thanksgiving).

And the total for the day was 8,618 new cases, a 60% increase over yesterday’s total.

So yeah, not good.

Weekends are slow for testing. Probably won’t have to post daily reports for a few days.

1 Like

Yikes.

Maybe they increased testing capacity.

Or at least I hope they did. Otherwise Thursday’s 31% positive test rate is gonna be really close to 50%.

Xpost from trump thread

https://twitter.com/nytimes/status/1314702986564767746?s=21

2 Likes

Trump literally doing nothing would be better for us. Instead he’s actively undermining scientists at the CDC to actively make it worse.

2 Likes

I haven’t been paying attention in a month or two, but it seems like the fall bounce is real, no? Suzzer‘s revenge is upon us?

Looks like caseload is ramping up in the north right now. I’m sure they’re not much less careful than we are in Georgia, where our numbers have gotten much better.

Amended understanding:

• Winter is bad.
  • Nonetheless, if you take no precautions, it will also go haywire in the summer.

Sound about right?

Trump’a COVID death toll might just be starting. My god that’s a terrifying idea.

Nah dude, apparently I’ve been saying we’re at herd immunity already and we should all just be out sneezing on each other and partying our asses off. Try to keep up.

Seems like what’s bad is indoors, not specifically winter or summer. Colder weather in the north drives everyone indoors. Summer in the south drives people indoors, whereas now it’s quite nice to be outside in GA.

2 Likes

Well, having people indoors is definitely bad, and cold weather causes that to happen a lot more. Whether there are additional effects due to the weather remains to be seen (it’s entirely plausible this is the case).

Georgia managed to have declining caseloads all through August, and we weren’t that diligent about social distancing. I think summer can be managed, in any climate. The June bounce in the south was mostly just stupidity.

I was Dilznoofus on 2p2, just wanna say I read that exchange and thought your posts were perfectly reasonable. But I’m definitely a small brain here so that doesn’t mean much. I’m just drunk and have nothing to contribute but occasionally want to say something because I’m completely alone IRL about this shit. So gazizza man.

11 Likes

I just started watching NewsRadio all the way through again. Season 1 is kind of a slog. Just watched the Goofy Ball episode in season 2.

Crazy arcane trivia - that was Judd Apatow’s voice as Goofy Ball.

I still let loose with a “my pants are tight!” line every so often.

1 Like

Man that’s great. I don’t know if you know or care but at least two of the three core members of Chapo Trap House said NewsRadio was the best sitcom of the '90s.

That’s from Just Shoot Me!

I use that line every now and then too - best episode. David Cross was also in NewsRadio a few times.

David Cross and Bob Odenkirk and the big tall guy. Great episode.

1 Like

My favorite tv show ever. And why I can’t totally hate on Joe Rogan. I think he’s literally just the same guy as the character he played in that show.

3 Likes

I read some expert scientist (who of course I can’t find in my 400 bookmarks) who speculated that the reason a lot of viruses are seasonal is the havoc that going from cold/dry air outside to hot/dry heated air indoors plays with our sinuses and mucus membranes.

Cobb County (GA) elementary schools opened this week. About 60% of the kids went back for face-to-face learning. Nine of the 67 schools have reported COVID cases - 37 cases total. Every school that has a case has fewer than ten cases.

Middle schools go back on October 19. My kids will be staying home. Our principal said that about 70% of the students are going back, which is insane to me.

2 Likes

Oh shit, yeah, thanks for the correction. They felt like similar shows. VACUUMS!