COVID-19: Chapter 6 - ThanksGRAVING

I keep thinking it’s due to height. Their droplets shouldn’t go as far.

Hopefully it’ll be much better this time. I got mine 10 days ago and had zero effects other than a slightly sore arm for 12 hours or so. Thanks for getting it this year!

1 Like

Also, with all their bullshit about how terrible CA is and its all their fault, there is a 0.00000000001% chance they ever leave their Burbank studios for another state.

Get fucked, Disney

Since the articles discussing the superspreader behavior of covid-19 usually contrast it with influenza, I’m inclined to believe that at least something about the nature of the disease that is responsible for this distinction. My hypothesis would be a larger viral load is necessary for the virus to get a foothold compared to influenza, so, like, grocery shopping quickly with distancing and masks doesn’t really get anyone even if they do encounter some viral particles, but people doing dumb shit like hanging out inside of bars drinking without a mask for a few hours can pretty easily infect almost everyone there. This fits pretty neatly with the evidence of the virus being airborne in the aerosolized sense while also not being as contagious as measles. It also fits with the idea that masks are effective at slowing the spread of the disease even if they’re not 100% effective. Being 90% effective may be enough for covid if it keeps the virus under the key level, while being 90% effective for measles would be basically useless, because it needs almost nothing, maybe a single virus, to cause an infection.

8 Likes

Insert Little people joke here

1 Like

Yeah, so the stuff we’ve been saying: no large crowds, wear masks, stay outdoors, etc all helps prevent super spreader events.

Bars, clubs, restaurants, factories, prisons, etc are all places for super spreader events but masked shopping, outdoor distanced things like walking and the beach (not the crowded spring break beach, but normal beach), limited capacity pools, tennis, golf, hiking, etc is all fine.

2 Likes

https://twitter.com/nytimes/status/1311400442996363264

Yeah Aussie/NZ - open up motherfuckers. We want in!

3 Likes

I’m still worried that cold weather could be a somewhat different story. I don’t see how Wuhan, N. Italy, Tehran and NYC happens just based on indoor super-spreader events. Well maybe its all just packed public transportation with no masks.

Just speculating here - but the Wuhan market seems like a fairly open, airy place from the pics I’ve seen. I doubt meat-processors have terrible ventilation or low ceilings. But both I believe are pretty cold inside. I guess both of those could be a lot of touch-based spread as well though. We know for sure the virus lasts longer on surfaces when it’s cold - unless the DHS study is lying. No one’s proven it lasts longer in air droplets when it’s cold.

When it’s warm and humid - I picture the virus colliding with water vapor particles and degrading pretty quickly. When it’s cold I see if falling like snow and just collecting everywhere. For some reason I can’t get that image out of my mind.

You’ve got a shock coming to you if you think the average Oz is an improvement over what you’ve got there.

1 Like

I have no idea what that means. I just want to travel again.

Ditching plastic straws was first on the list to help with the enviromental issues we have - travelling half way around the world whenever you want is also on there - sorry to break that to you,

Ok list 100% of your daily activities and I’ll tell you what has to go. I hope you take cold showers and don’t use a dishwasher. Do you eat meat? Do you commute? Why not take a job for less money that lets you work from home?

I live in LA where I barely use heat or AC. I demand some carbon offset credits from you people who suck that shit up.

I didn’t have kids. I should get a massive carbon credit for that one.

2 Likes

Global warming has to be handled at the level of government policy, not individual action. Things like cleaner cement, vehicle emission standards, energy regulations for buildings, etc., and the regulations need to be internationalized via enforceable treaties. All else is just noise.

(Not criticizing your post, just expanding on it.)

4 Likes

tumblr_mtjckgab4G1qb05aco1_250

1 Like

I agree. People making little voluntary sacrifices to help is great. But real shared sacrifice actually hurts, and involves corporations not just individuals.

International travel probably should be a lot more expensive if you factor in the real long term cost to society. But then you get into punishing poor people. So we need a way to pay for that which only soaks the well-off.

This.

For decades, big corporations have shifted their responsibility for global warming and pollution onto us. They are by far the biggest polluters in the world.

It all started with the crying Indian* watching average people messing up the Earth.

*TIL he was Italian-American. Talk about whitewashing!

4 Likes

HA SUCK IT TREEHUMPERS! :D

I get to roll coal from here on out and you still owe me carbon credits.

3 Likes

Yeah I get miffed with the attitude of “I don’t preach sustainable lifestyle, I just do it.” The Kochs thank you for your service and laugh their asses off at you.

1 Like

I thought this said “I get milfed” at first and I was impressed.

1 Like