COVID-19: Chapter 6 - ThanksGRAVING

https://twitter.com/timbhealey/status/1311423044498399238?s=19

Yikes

Flu shot yesterday. Not bad on the side effects. Slight headache and tight calves. No idea why it’s always my calves that get sore with every immunization.

Super easy at the Wegmans pharmacy.

3 Likes

stop skipping leg day boi

2 Likes

You have no idea. The year started with a hamstring tear that I got a platelet injection for. Then two weeks into PT covid closed down my therapy for three months.

Just when that rounded into shape and I go back on the tennis court an apparently old Achilles scar tissue (don’t remember hurting it) acted up. Another month of PT and back on the court.

All in my “good” right leg. I have a history of spraining my left ankle and and jumpers knee in it last year.

Being 55 sucks. I have to do almost as much warmup time as actual playing.

1 Like

My didn’t have any side effects. Hoping I didn’t get a dud.

Covid has come to my college

Hope your job title isn’t “guy who makes the COVID graphs for the school”.

30 Likes

This got a literal and hearty laugh out loud from me.

The graphs aren’t so bad, those labels though!

Yeah, 40% false negative chance on day 4 after infection.

So testing TOMORROW will only be 60% accurate. By Friday/Saturday if they test negative then they didn’t get it at the game.

But as of today, of course nobody has yet tested positive.

I have a weird immune system. I spike high fevers when I get sick, have some kind of reaction to every shot. Shingles vaccine was 2.5 days. Both doses.

I’m hoping strong reaction = strong immunity but if the 1918 flu comes back my own immune system will kill me.

My kids react the same way. Weird thing is that my family (knock on wood) has a low cancer incidence. Nobody on my Dads side before age 75. Not sure about my Moms family. Who knows if those are related or what’s a plus and what’s a minus.

Holy hell. I saw a report that said Green Bay hospitals are getting overwhelmed. Thats GD huge growth.

I looked into this.

Officials at Bellin Hospital in Green Bay, for example, said the facility was at 94% capacity as of Tuesday, just days before a Saturday campaign rally for President Donald Trump that could draw thousands of supporters to the city.

Good thing Wisconsonites are so fit and it doesn’t get very cold. Oh wait.

Still shutdown hard in Victoria, Australia after like 4 months. Cases now 10-15 a day. Meanwhile my friend’s in next state over are going to a 200 person wedding this weekend.

1 Like

So I had some business that took me from my safe haven in rural Japan into the big cities: Yokohama and Tokyo. It was my first trip into the city since January, so I was curious to see firsthand how things were going.

I was surprised by the extent to which life is essentially carrying on as normal. Restaurants and cafes were filled with diners. Popular destination spots were full of visitors.

The main alterations to daily life I could see were:

1. Masks, of course. About 99% compliance–zero complaining.

2. Hand sanitizer everywhere, along with temperature taking at many shops prior to entry.

3. Seat spacing in restaurants, cafes, vinyl barriers, and so forth.

4. Trains a bit less crowded, likely a result of a modest shift toward WFH.

And one more noticeable change. A near complete absence of foreign tourists. It felt like the Japan I fell in love with some two decades ago, when the country was still “pure” and untainted by grimy foreigners like myself.

Unlike rebellious Americans, I get the sense that Japanese are fully willing to stick with these measures for as long as necessary, which gives me hope that cases will continue to decline and that the day will come when this thing is largely eradicated and we can all get back to our lives as normal.

12 Likes

Suzzer posted something similar earlier, but this again emphasises the importance of super-spreader events.

Laxminarayan and his colleagues found that just 8% of people with COVID-19 accounted for 60% of the new infections observed among the contacts. Meanwhile, 7 out of 10 COVID-19 patients were not linked to any new cases.

It’s not clear, however, whether this is biological or circumstantial. This is pretty interesting:

In the new study, researchers tracked down 78 people who had shared a bus or train with one of eight known infected people and sat within three rows of that person for more than six hours. Health workers visited these contacts at their homes to conduct follow-up screenings and determined that nearly 80% of them had contracted the coronavirus.

By contrast, people who were known to be exposed to infected individuals in lower-risk environments — such as being in the same room but more than three feet away — became infected only 1.6% of the time.

1 Like

Ventilation,ventilation, ventilation.

IF an area can get the case load below some number (daily <1/10,000?) then I don’t see why outdoor gatherings couldn’t at least be considered.

But yeah we are fucked when people start congregating inside as the weather turns.

Yeah I’ve held the view for a while that long indoor gatherings are the nut low and basically everything else is irrelevant, with the exception of idiotic stuff like outdoor rallies where everyone is crammed together. BTW that study found that “children” pass the virus on as effectively as adults, but as far as I can see they didn’t differentiate 5-17 year olds, so this doesn’t contradict the previous finding that children under 10 are less efficient at transmission.

1 Like

For some reason we can’t get a flu shot here until the 19th. No idea why it’s delayed so much.

Booked mine for 12th. Only had it once before and I felt under the weather for a week or two afterwards.