COVID-19: Chapter 6 - ThanksGRAVING

Thank God our president told the WHO to fuck off. Great job, Donnie Default. At $5 a pop you could buy 150 of those with your $750 in federal taxes.

3 Likes

1/5th of population downloads in 96hrs. Most 1st world countries have similar

NHS Covid-19 app downloaded 12.4m times

The app, launched on Thursday, uses Bluetooth technology to keep tabs on encounters with other people and informs them if one subsequently tests positive for Covid.

Health Secretary Matt Hancock told MPs it was “the fastest download of an app in British history”.

Our technology correspondents have been answering your questions about how the app works.

I would argue that if it was a bit more lethal, especially for younger whitey, then the response would have been much stronger. This damn thing hit the sweet spot.

1 Like

US#152 isn’t exactly a first world country anymore.

I could no longer listen to Van Morrison after I put the pieces together on what Moondance is about.

Well, the Czech government is going to propose a state of emergency on Wednesday. The Chamber of Deputies will have to vote on it but the government likely have the votes to pass one without having to convince too much of the opposition. Schools are probably going to go to distance education after then. Probably gonna pass restrictions just short of a lockdown without it being one.

1 Like

The whole thing fucking sucks. The government acted too slow when the second wave started in late July.

Their plan for opening schools was completely half-assed. I talked to my sister who works as a guidance counselor at a school in America and all the stuff the schools are doing there dwarfs what has been done in Czech schools. Here, people wear masks, use hand soap and…that’s it. Fuckers had months to prepare and the 10 page manual looked like it was created after a week-long bender. Minister of Education should apologize and resign.

New York state continuing to have outbreaks in Rockland County (110 new positives today and 12.8% positive rate) and Brooklyn (183 new positives today and 2.6% positive rate)

I was asking about the real meaning of Moondance.

2 Likes
1 Like

That’s the most awesome thing I’ve ever heard.

1 Like

It’s Urban Dictionary, so I don’t know if it’s true, but I want it to be true.

Yeah I’m not going to believe that without some legit sources. Especially considering that Van was very poetic and clever with his lyrics and being so direct would seem rather out of character.

Looks like we may have an answer to the Manaus mystery - they may have just plowed through to something close to herd immunity.

The Brazilian city of Manaus was hit hard by COVID-19. At the peak of its epidemic in late spring, the city of over 2 million people had 4.5 times as many deaths as expected for that time of year. Hospitals and cemeteries struggled to keep up, and mass graves were dug to bury the dead. But then, cases and deaths steadily declined, despite a relaxing of social distancing measures.

That trajectory has prompted some researchers to suggest that Manaus has reached herd immunity. In a report posted September 21 at medRxiv.org that has yet to be peer reviewed, researchers suggest that herd immunity developed in the city after 44 to 52 percent of the population was infected at the epidemic’s peak, and that slowed subsequent spread of the virus.

“These are the highest [infection] levels I’ve seen,” says Elitza Theel, a clinical microbiologist at the Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minn., who wasn’t involved in the study. That high infection rate may very well have impacted the trajectory of the epidemic. “That is how herd immunity works,” she says. “But it comes at a high cost … their death rate was very high.”

1 Like

https://twitter.com/MaxRivlinNadler/status/1310756603654582272?s=20

Doing a little arithmetic…for the US to have the same death rate as that city would be about 600k deaths.

I can buy 44-52% because if ~20% has pre-existing immunity, which some have suspected, that gets you into the ballpark of what experts expect to be needed.

There’s 71%…

We’re officially at 205K, but 205-300K is probably realistic so we’re somewhere between 1/3 and 1/2 of the way there.

In typical Trumpian/2020 fashion we’re probably going to hit herd immunity in late 2020/early 2021 just in time for vaccines.

It really just depends whether we make any effort to shut down before the holidays, and whether we stay shut down long enough.

US also has more than twice the percentage of people over 65 years old as Brazil, so that could well mean 1m+ deaths for the US.