COVID-19: Chapter 6 - ThanksGRAVING

The researchers estimate close to 4,000 people died from COVID-19 in Manaus, a high death toll for a city where only 6 percent of the population is over 60. The city had an infection fatality rate between 0.17 and 0.28 percent, the study suggests. The costs of reaching herd immunity via infection in other cities, especially where there are more older people could be much, much higher. Estimates of São Paolo’s infection fatality rate range as high as 0.72 percent.

Given this talk about herd immunity, is reinfection not much of a thing after all? Then the next question would be, for how long after recovery is one immune?

Yes. Triple that death rate so if you calc 600k try 1.8M instead. But of course 94% of those are so old and sick they probably would have died by Xmas 2030-2040 regardless.

2 Likes

A week into the new place and the landlord is having the ducts cleaned. Ultimately this is a good thing, but I’m not looking forward to disinfecting the entire house again.

WTF is wrong with people?

1 Like

You didn’t hear? That global pandemic thing is over now. Open for business, open for school, democratic hoax, media hysteria, etc etc.

This is a very good primer on the possible scenarios.

1 Like

Only kind of related to covid, but I put a deposit down on a car yesterday. Nothing to exciting, I’m getting a plug in hybrid and it’s going to be a few weeks and wanted to make sure that I got what I wanted. I’ve been talking to the hybrid sales guy for awhile, but had to talk to this other dude to put in an actual order. You get a 500 discount for being a health professional or whatever so I drop that, and the guy immediately goes off about covid.

Most of it was basic curiosity, which I get. But then he started with conspiracy bullshit and asking questions like “did anyone I know die?”, “did any of your patients on breathing machines live?” and “were you in the news?” Asshole. Tried to shut down the conversation politely, but couldn’t. I had to literally say, “This is over, take the deposit on my car so I can leave.”

Weirdest thing was that the guy was from england. Having all that come out at me in a english accent in the states was weird.

4 Likes

Timely

https://twitter.com/drdenagrayson/status/1310935949568860160?s=21

Another uh-oh. Saw a lot of folks dunking yesterday after NHL got to the finish line. How great the leagues have done. Oooops. The virus laughs at you.

Not in the Czech Republic.

Schools in some areas are reverting to distance learning starting Monday. It’s only for two weeks (as of now) but I wouldn’t be surprised if it was longer.

Word around my school is that there are students out with covid19 but they or their parents haven’t notified the school. There are also two other teachers at my school out with covid (one recently recovered) . One of the two came in for a day to administer make-up school leaving exams a couple of weeks ago. So yay :frowning:

Over 400 teachers in the Czech Republic have had or currently have covid19.

NHL and NBA were really the only two that had a shot at making it through COVID free. MLB and NFL are not bubbled, and are traveling all over the country. No surprises with the latest news.

3 Likes

I don’t understand how a vaccine can make one immune if getting the virus and surviving it doesn’t make one immune, little help?

Multiple vaccines give immunity which might be preferable to catching the disease itself multiple times

We also might wind up needing yearly booster shots.

Your immune system generates antibodies basically at random until it arrives at something that works. That might result in binding to a highly mutagenic region of a viral protein, which might save you this time around but not next. A vaccine can be more intelligently designed, administering, say, a more conserved region of the viral protein to stimulate an immune response against that, which may be longer lasting.

6 Likes

It may end up being like the flu shot, where we need to get it every year or even more frequently and Jenny McCarthy poisons the brains of millions by saying it causes autism.

There’s two simpler explanations here too.

1. The estimate is incorrect
  2. The levels are below needed for herd immunity

Given 44-66% is below the herd immunity level, this is explained by things a lot simpler than immunity wearing off.

1 Like

Centuries actually. There were apparently smallpox something or other in an ancient medical book that was contagious. It made the news.