COVID-19: Chapter 6 - ThanksGRAVING

Seriously, everyone here needs to listen to this podcast about measles, fast-forward to 8:30 or whatever, the enemy we are up against is airborne but probably not as savage as measles, but also there is no way contract tracing stops this shit. If lecture halls and coffee shops and grocery stores are open for business, you are not ever tracking and tracing the spread of this shit. Damn, just listen to the podcast, true airborne viruses are no fucking joke.

https://thispodcastwillkillyou.com/2019/03/05/episode-21-measles-the-worst-souvenir/

Contact tracing stopped it in Sydney. Positive people have been to restaurants and bars and people there at the same time were told to get tested and isolate. We had a positive taxi driver who worked while infectious. We now have 0 new cases again for 2 days in a row. Covid is not like measles otherwise Sydney would have needed a lockdown like Melbourne.

1 Like

Contract tracing helps. Points about delay in results and what people do during the delay are highly valid.

This is a superspreader disease. There are examples of close contacts in a household not getting it and examples of bars/churches were 1 positive infects dozens.

Masks-social D-contract tracing— all part of a picket fence strategy. Being less than effective in all three has the pickets wide enough for a pit bull to get into your yard. Still in can be even worse. Every bit helps so that rapid growth now isn’t as bad as spring. But yeah it’s still bad.

Then it’s multiplicative because the overall case load is pressure on the prevention measures.

Biden slogan team, are you listening?

Uh it did in South Korea,Aus, NZ and I think Germany. And OH uni is starting with a small enough case load. I don’t think its as contagious as you’re making it out to be our we would have seen WAY more cases. Like yes its very contagious but its not like everyone who walks in your path 2 hours later is gonna get it even if they’re wearing a mask. Seems like people are mostly getting it through sustained contact with someone, talking to them, singing super loudly in a church spreading your shit for 10+ feet, or having an AC blow their Rona right into your mouth.

This isn’t the measles. And I’m sure OH uni requires masks right?

But yeah the lag time on test results would be a big problem for this. Do universities not have their own testing labs?

2 Likes

America’s fucked.

Looks like there’s a real possibility of secondary schools shutting down this week in the Czech Republic. New restrictions will be put in place either Wednesday or Friday. The fact that they’re specifically referring to secondary schools leads me to believe that they’ve already agreed on a course of action. As the Minister of Health stated, the longer we wait to implement restrictions the longer it will take to overcome this wave.

So yeah, I’m taking this long weekend to get going on preparing for distance learning. I did most of it already but there’s a lot that’s going to be touch-and-go in the beginning.

Her “millions” came mostly from a rigged 6 person sng.

But, she did coach and train a World Class poker player.

I don’t follow this thread super closely, but I’m kind of in disbelief there was so much disagreement over the trumper restaurant owner.

Dude is right to be angry. The reason that “fuck this guy” is 100% appropriate is how he pivots his anger in his preferred political direction, which is to support Trump.

He could choose any number of more rational grievances:

1. That the government assistance was shit
  2. That the admin’s terrible health messaging on masks (as a consequence of denialism) caused the first reopening to be a massive, destructive false start
  3. That Trump’s failure to recognize the evidence caused an order of magnitude greater problem that it had to be

But instead he moves straight into Trump support.

Then there’s the “well, capitalism dictates you should have x months of capital on hand.” This works best as a snarky answer to people who say they believe the free market will solve of everything.

But seriously, anybody who understands American capitalism knows that a restaurant cannot have x months of capital set aside for a downturn in the economy. If you actually did that, you’re an idiot and you’re doing it wrong, because you could have reinvested these excess earnings which largely do not exist in the restaurant business, created a restaurant empire with them, and be living the park avenue life.

We live in a crony capitalist society, and restauranteurs ain’t the chronies. The tragicomic thing is that the trumper restauranteur doesn’t get that. The joke’s on him–Trump et al literally give zero fucks about him, live or die.

4 Likes

I know things are shit in America regarding covid but at least you aren’t running out of drugs to treat like we are

Yup we’re projected to run out of remdesivir within a week. The Czech government puts off covid restrictions for political reasons and the people pay the price. Fuck rural Czechs for keeping the current government in power for so long.

1 Like

another one of my coworkers tested pos this week, says hes not feeling great, still working too remotely obv cuz merica!

We are all remote so no threat to me, him and others on my call just now were going with the “well we are all going to get it eventually”

Could be worse. Look one province east.

Find out what those football lovers think of Tyler Hilinski.

There’s almost no way the disease is that extreme. You’re describing something like measles, and we’d know if it was as contagious as measles. Just because it’s aerosolized doesn’t mean it’s measles, possibly due to a higher initial viral load necessary for an infection to take hold or something.

2 Likes

Apparently smallpox is viable on clothes and stuff for months (or maybe years, I can’t remember which I read). That would truly suck.

In a sense we got pretty lucky with covid that it doesn’t last long outside the body, and isn’t super deadly. Change either of those and we’re in full blown meltdown right now.

Canada making 2nd wave status…

CDC boss overheard complaining about Trump task force member

The head of the US public health body the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) has been overheard complaining about a new member of President Trump’s coronavirus task force.

According to a report from NBC News, Dr Robert Redfield was heard saying that Dr Scott Atlas was giving Trump false and misleading data on the virus - including on whether masks work, and on herd immunity.

On a phone call, made in public on a flight from Atlanta to Washington DC, Redfield was heard saying: “Everything he says is false.”

He later confirmed he was talking about Atlas, who joined the White House task force in August. Atlas’s appointment has been criticised, because he doesn’t have a background in infectious diseases or public health.

1 Like

Virus cases surging again in 21 US states

Cases of coronavirus are surging in 21 different US states - almost half of the country - according to broadcaster CNN, which analysed data from Johns Hopkins University.

The number of cases in these states increased by at least 10% in the last week, compared to the week before.

Those states are: Alabama, Alaska, Colorado, Idaho, Maine, Michigan, Minnesota, Montana, Nevada, New Jersey, New Mexico, North Carolina, North Dakota, Oregon, South Carolina, South Dakota, Texas, Utah, Washington state, Wisconsin and Wyoming.

The figures are sparking fears of a new wave in autumn and winter as temperatures fall.

The US has reported more than seven million confirmed cases of the virus so far, and more than 200,000 deaths.

About Peru, I’m reminded of an earlier post where the government tried to do the right thing with lockdowns. They couldn’t get compliance because half the country is too poor to survive a lockdown. You’ll note the per capita case numbers are worse than the US.

A test that can accurately diagnose coronavirus in minutes will dramatically expand testing in low and middle-income countries, the World Health Organization (WHO) has said.

The $5 (£3.80) test could transform tracking of Covid-19 in less wealthy countries, which have shortages of healthcare workers and laboratories.

A deal with manufacturers will provide 120 million tests over six months.

The WHO’s head called it a major milestone.

2 Likes