COVID-19: Chapter 6 - ThanksGRAVING

I hope the kid gets better soon but there’s always the chance the infection happened elsewhere - presumably parents haven’t been locked down since March given we OFB 1st July.

Anyway, Europe will no doubt be watching in amazement as the US keep the infections down this coming winter by ensuring school attendance ain’t compulsory. New rules Eurowide but not seeing many states scaling back and that’ll bite US in 4 weeks time (IMO… getting cold this side of the Atlantic so Euro’s heading indoors)

With many European countries experiencing a rise in cases, here are the top developments so far on Friday:

• Spain 's capital Madrid is to extend coronavirus measures from Monday, as the country’s government calls for a complete lockdown of the city. Around 850,000 residents were placed under local restrictions earlier this week, with the new decision expected to bring the total to over a million

• Moscow’s mayor has told elderly residents to remain at home from Monday and has urged employers to allow home working as far as possible. Russia has seen its highest number of daily cases since late June

• In the Czech Republic , the mayor of the capital Prague has criticised the prime minister’s handling of the pandemic, as the country recorded its highest number of fatalities in a single day since the pandemic began. Nineteen new deaths were recorded on Friday, according to official figures

• Poland and Slovakia have both had record rises in infections, with 1,587 and 419 new cases respectively

Restaurants and Bars shut in Marseille, FR (but schools remain open)

Now to the southern French city of Marseille, where hundreds of restaurant and bar owners have protested against a shutdown order to curb the rising number of coronavirus infections.

The French government ordered bars and restaurants in Marseille to close for two weeks after a spike in cases raised the city’s coronavirus alert system to its maximum level.

Israel’s new lockdown rules come into effect

It has been a week since Israel went into its second nationwide lockdown, and now new restrictions have come into effect to help stop the rise in cases.

From this afternoon, businesses not officially considered essential were ordered closed, and travel restricted to 1km (0.6 miles) from people’s homes.

Other planned rules which would affect protesters and synagogue-goers have not yet been approved by parliament, amid disagreements.

Covid-19 cases in Israel have continued to rise despite the latest lockdown. A new record of more than 8,000 infections for a single day were recorded on Thursday in Israel, which has one of the highest rates of infections per capita in the world.

https://twitter.com/AfrDiasporaNews/status/1309032178760773633?s=19

3 Likes

Yup. Pretty likely that today’s numbers set a new record at this rate too.

School is still a go. As expected, most school directors lol’d at closing school for an additional day making a difference. Word around social media is that secondary school students will strike by sitting out of class for a day due to having to wear masks all day. Most still abide but more people (teachers included) are looking for an out to take off the mask or loosen it a bit for some air on occasion. I know that I have to periodically scratch my beard or wipe away any moisture that builds up too. Hard for me to come down on my students for wanting to do the same.

Not gonna lie, that gave me immense satisfaction.

3 Likes
  1. Failure to mask
  2. Refusal to leave
  3. Trespassing
  4. Arrest
  5. Resisting arrest
  6. Escalating use of force to affect arrest
  7. Taser used

While satisfying in this case, and probably permissible under use of force rules, I think it’s fair to ask whether it might be better to de-escalate and call for backup at some point, especially with somebody who seems very likely to resist.

I’d rather see her subdued with minimal force by 2-3 officers than tased.

2 Likes

It did seem like an awful lot of commotion for a non-mask wearer who was still social distancing outside.

1 Like

People are saying she just needed to comply.

4 Likes

Not gonna lie. Kinda wanna see white people unmasked being treated like they are black. Maybe that will change some opinions about the police.

3 Likes

“Is he a real cop?” had me cracking up.

Pepper spray, rubber bullet her imo

1 Like

I can not wait to use this line on the first deplorable that posts about the tyranny of mask arrests.

If these were Republicans “mild symptoms” would be signaling for “dead”

https://twitter.com/ap/status/1309496234642677760?s=21

Florida leading the way as usual!

https://twitter.com/anacabrera/status/1309551556333838348?s=21

2 Likes

Yep, just when my anxiety had started to subside a little bit.

I’ve been waiting for someone to complain about how they can’t breathe with a mask on so I can tell them “if you can talk, you can breathe”.

1 Like

It’s official…

BBC 25/09/20

• The US remains in the first wave of the coronavirus pandemic, because infections have not decreased sufficiently since the initial outbreak, the country’s leading infectious diseases expert has said

Closing strip clubs so your kid doesn’t miss out on education (first world nations)

Canada to tighten restrictions as cases climb

Two of Canada’s most populous provinces have moved to impose further restrictions on social gatherings, as they seek to stem rising coronavirus infections.

In Quebec, Health Minister Christian Dubé urged people to avoid social gatherings for 28 days.

Dubé made the plea as the eastern province recorded a further 637 new cases on Friday, up 10% from the day before.

Ontario, the most populous province, also saw a rise in new cases. In response, Premier Doug Ford announced on Friday that bars, restaurants and strip clubs will have to close by midnight, and stop serving alcohol by 23:00 local time.

On a national level, Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau resumed his daily Covid-19 briefing, which he had paused over the summer as cases declined.

In a televised address on Tuesday, he warned that “we are on the brink of a fall that could be much worse than the spring”.

https://twitter.com/DeAnna4Congress/status/1309553515925209089?s=20

9 Likes