COVID-19: Chapter 6 - ThanksGRAVING

This. (Step-father-in-law)

Apparently Eric Clapton is a racist moron

Back when Deadspin was Deadspin, I was a regular commenter there. For those of you who don’t know, there were some fantastically hilarious commenters there, and one of the comment models was to take a snippet quote from the article intentionally out of context in order to make it funny.

The one comment I made that I’ll never forget started with a quote from the article (italics), followed by my response:

“We hope he bounces back.”

“Good bless Eric Clapton’s optimism.”

Now I feel less bad about writing that.

3 Likes

While shining a light on Clapton’s racism is a worthwhile and important endeavor, let’s not lose sight of the fact that Van Morrison is well-known as one of the bigger assholes in rock and roll history.

1 Like

Counterpoint: I never made a funny comment about Van Morrison on Deadspin.

You have to admire Clapton’s unwavering opposition to basic safety measures. He walks the walk.

3 Likes

not to mention moondance is super rapey. #cancelculture

More people I know are being impacted.

A friend of mine’s SO just tested positive. She’s a healthcare worker. They’re quarantining her to the upstairs and he’s bringing her food, etc in an n95. It’s a rough case so far. He’s awaiting his own results.

Would love to hear if anyone has ideas of what to do to lend a hand in this type of shitty situation. Saying “let me know if you need anything” feels empty. My go to would be to send some food but if she can’t taste, that doesn’t seem great either.

1 Like

I think bolded may be a bit trite, but it’s appropriate.

I think food is fine and would be welcome. Even if she can’t taste, she still has to eat. So does he. And if he’s spending a lot of time caring for her, prepping his own meals is one less thing he would have to deal with.

1 Like

Yup. The recent surge is really making this come less degrees of separation for a lot of people. We went from 1 random person we barely knew way back to 4 people within the last month much closer to us. When my wife was going to the grocery store recently she offered to pick up stuff for the family that we are friends with close by that have Covid. Luckily they all have mild cases so far (for coming on 2 weeks), but they are of course hard quarantining and things like errands can be really helpful.

Ouch. if I get what you are referring to.

Where’s the giving up drinking thread

Not saying I’m gonna do it but the isolation from covid and the stress from teaching in absurd circumstances has definitely pushed me towards drinking. The apple-flavored JD is great when mixed with Coca-Cola.

Grunching the cfr discussion. The National 21 and 28 day are stable enough to make predictions. You won’t be too wrong.

Some states are noisy cause the population numbers are too small. Some states have offsets. The weighted sum of the 50 will mathematically the same as the national. You will just see certain states that run higher or lower for what may be legit reasons (demographics, better care capacity etc) and for less pretty reasons like reporting lags, testing availability, etc.

Certainly and cfr should be adjusted for positivity rate, or least estimates should be fudge on the high side if lack of testing is articficially keeping the case rates down.

I certainly don’t have enough data fidelity when it comes to states, and beyond that the further. Breakdown between their larger cities and the rural areas.

So to keep from driving myself crazy I’m mostly stick with the National. Once in a while I look at interesting states but again I’m trying to remain a good quarantine partner and not go too far down the data rabbit hole.

My $0.02.

Boeheim was positive 2 weeks ago and has his mask around his neck while coaching

With some exceptions, governments have made great efforts to put the well-being of their people first, acting decisively to protect health and to save lives. The exceptions have been some governments that shrugged off the painful evidence of mounting deaths, with inevitable, grievous consequences. But most governments acted responsibly, imposing strict measures to contain the outbreak.

Yet some groups protested, refusing to keep their distance, marching against travel restrictions — as if measures that governments must impose for the good of their people constitute some kind of political assault on autonomy or personal freedom! Looking to the common good is much more than the sum of what is good for individuals. It means having a regard for all citizens and seeking to respond effectively to the needs of the least fortunate.

It is all too easy for some to take an idea — in this case, for example, personal freedom — and turn it into an ideology, creating a prism through which they judge everything.

1 Like
2 Likes

Is this study saying children are in fact human?

3 Likes

Shocking. All members of genus Homo sapiens can transmit SARS-CoV-2. And apparently indiscriminate young ones spread it pretty well just like very other fucking disease.

6 Likes

omg germ theory confirmed

the kids don’t spread it stuff was always really lol

3 Likes

HUGE if true!