COVID-19: Chapter 6 - ThanksGRAVING

This probably got posted already but I don’t care

A young resident doctor has died from the [novel coronavirus] (COVID-19) after a two-month battle with the illness. She was 28.

Adeline Fagan was in her second year of residency at a hospital in Houston, Texas, where she worked in the OB/GYN unit, Syracuse.com reported.

Fagan, who was from Central New York, was taken to the emergency room on July 8 and tested positive for COVID-19. She was placed in quarantine, during which her condition worsened, the outlet reported.

Fagan’s sister Maureen said in a GoFundMe campaign set up to help with medical bills that the resident became ill after working with COVID-19 patients in the hospital’s emergency room. She was placed on a ventilator on August 3, a move that came after weeks of “several different respiratory therapies and put on dozens of drugs.”

SHE WAS LITERALLY A DOCTOR WHO GOT COVID TREATING PEOPLE AND STILL HAD TO USE A GOFUNDME FOR MEDICAL BILLS

15 Likes

10 Likes

Australia just went through the flu season and not surprising all the measures to stop Covid meant the flu never got a hold here. Health officials have said publicly that if you have flu symptons in Australia then it is almost certainly not the flu but Covid.

1 Like

What if covid ends flu?

1 Like

It won’t.

It’s crazy to me how MRSA isn’t more of a big deal in the news. That’s some pretty terrifying shit.

1 Like

Yah it’s some really nasty stuff.

On the topic of the flu…

Is there a fairly simplistic way to explain to a moron like myself why the flu seemingly goes away during the summer months, then crawls out of its hiding spot in the fall to spread around? Is the virus still out there but it doesn’t make people sick, or is it actually just not…there?

I’d think this last 6 months or so has been a pretty bad time to be any communicable disease. Any chance the change in behavior/hygiene will impact stuff like the seasonal flu? Would be nice to get something, anything decent out of this mess.

I don’t know, I guess because its been around for a while. Dad had a bad MRSA infection a few years ago where he had a ping pong ball sized swell on his ankle. Thought was it likely came from just not wearing comfortable shoes in a Europe tour. We were worried he would have to be amputated for a while. But it ended up alright.

1 Like

The first paragraph is on the cutting edge of science. For the second paragraph, the answer is yes.

Ultraviolet lamp that can kill virus but is safe for humans launched in Japan

A company in Japan has launched an ultraviolet lamp that can kill the coronavirus without damaging people’s eyes or skin, and is expected to be used to disinfect busy spaces such as train carriages, lifts and waiting rooms.

The Care 222 is the first of its kind, according to Ushio, a lighting electronics manufacturer based in Tokyo.

Health experts, including the World Health Organisation, have warned people not to use conventional UV lamps to disinfect their hands or other parts of their body as they can cause skin cancer and eye damage.

Ushio’s gadget, however, emits UV rays with a wavelength of 222 nanometres, as opposed to the conventional 254 nanometres, enabling them to kill the virus without harming people, the firm said on its website.

“One of Care 222’s greatest features is that it can be used all the time,” it said. “Unlike conventional ultraviolet light sources, [it] can be used even when people are present, allowing continuous disinfection of the air and environmental surfaces.”

The different wavelength, combined with a special filter, means the rays are unable to infiltrate the surface of the skin or the eyes, the company added.

The firm, which developed the machine with Columbia University, found that it took between six and seven minutes to kill 99% of viruses and bacteria in the air, and on surfaces measuring up to 3 square metres located 2.5 metres away, Kyodo news agency reported.

The company’s claims have been confirmed in a third-party study by Hiroshima University, it added.

1 Like

Ha! I am old enough to remember when we ridiculed Donnie Dumb Dumb for suggesting we could beat Covid by shining a light at it.

4 Likes

Not sure how useful this will be since smear transmission is already pretty much negligible anyways right? If it takes 6-7 minutes to kill the virus, than is some infected person next to you has his nose poking out and you breathe it in you’re still fucked. Seems like it’ll do very little in the way of stopping airborne transmission.

I didn’t know about smear transmission being so low. Does that mean we’re being overcautious in washing our hands at home every time we’ve touched something in a public place?

Well fuck me. Looks like schools are gonna make it past September after all if the new Minister of Health is to be believed.

Guess being second worst country in Europe wrt covid isn’t enough to justify a shutdown.

A more technical look at the various different vaccines in stage 3.

https://twitter.com/thomas_m_wilson/status/1308656265200009221

I think the key metric is “reduce” vs “eliminate”. 6-7 minutes may cut down the range and the dose of the virus but certainly will not stop all transmissions.

Ventilation plus a some kind of air cyclone (to trap droplets) Plus the UV might be less energy intense Than filtration and pretty effective?

No you should so it anyways and it doesnt hurt to be safe but from my understanding it isn’t a big spreader. Possibly because so many people take those precautions. Like it happens but itll only infect one person not a whole room

So this is good just not a game changer

One thing with seasonal diseases. Given the opposition cycle in the northern and Southern Hemispheres and the nature of global travel, there is always a reservoir somewhere.

It will interesting to see if behavior goes back to normal with no social D, no masking, and common international travel that flu rates will take a season to respond back to typical levels.

Leaders of two of our national parties have tested positive. How the fuck has Trump dodged this?!?!