COVID-19: Chapter 6 - ThanksGRAVING

So I mentioned yesterday that the head Cobb County schools is all like “we’re not looking at countywide metrics” and going 100% is off the table. Well, now there’s a teacher on a ventilator who was told he likely caught it in school. Thumbs up, y’all.

7 Likes

Friend of mine has experienced the above. In early March he ran a marathon by himself as part of his training for a 30-mile trail race. A few weeks later he got COVID, was super sick. Has had continuing symptoms since then, including fatigue (as he describes it, it’s almost like narcolepsy, just all of the sudden he can’t keep his eyes open), elevated heart rate, brain fog. He’s seen every kind of doctor and there’s nothing obviously wrong with any of his organs or systems - everyones’ best guess is that it’s just the aftereffects of the virus.

1 Like

I have a college friend, healthy mid 30s female, who had it in April I think. She still can’t walk. Her body just tremors violently. It is some sort of neurologic issue. She has to have help to walk with a walker.

Every office job I’ve had did a background check that included verification of education and prior employment, so if I had lied I would not have been able to start the job.

Are we sure the background check people actually verify college degrees? It would shock me zero if they just googled, checked LinkedIn and called it a day.

3 Likes

I didn’t complete my degree and lied about it for 20 years, but only had two jobs in that period. Neither checked. It’s part of the reason I started my own business, I was super scared that if I had to job-hunt I’d be found out.

Ended up completing the requirements and getting my degree after getting sober, roughly five years ago.

21 Likes

I have noticed that I am making more mental mistakes with my writing. I have to chat with coworkers in real time during the day. My brain will tell me to write something and I end up typing it in the wrong tense. Typing it differently than how my inner chat is telling me to write. I don’t know if I’m describing it correctly but it scares the shit out of me anytime it happens now.

I never had issues like that before.

9 Likes

Our service does call University registrars and check. We had one candidate where the University told us he had completed the credits for his degree but owed a few hundred dollars in tuition so they didnt actually give him his degree.

2 Likes

Good lord at all the stories in here (and on the web) of the long haul symptoms for otherwise healthy individuals. Horrifying.

Read this yesterday in WSJ and hadn’t see this particular stat mentioned. Anectodally, I’ve heard this happening to a few people.

So 80% will experience loss of smell and 10-20% of those people are experiencing long term damage or alteration to their perception of scents? If my math is right that means you have a roughly 8-16% chance of having your smell damaged long term, and fingers crossed that it just comes back? Seems bad.

1 Like

When I was writing for a living, I was really sharp. Now though, I often spot myself missing words completely when typing, or typing a different word from the one I was thinking of. I just write it off to a short-circuit of sorts. But it doesn’t really worry me. What bothers me more is calling up google to do a search, and then forgetting what I was going to search for.

I know some have for sure, but maybe some didn’t.

I also know they check jobs because one company sold to another etc so they couldn’t verify so I had to dig up an old signed employment offer letter to meet the verification requirement for that.

1 Like

https://twitter.com/EdBelongia/status/1331079703709560834

1 Like

Smokers in Phase 1 but not prisoners. What.

6 Likes

According to this graphic we have about 250m (70%) of our population at high risk or essential. Kind of blows a hole in the dumbass Cactus/right winger arguments about all the damage their terrible behavior causes.

5 Likes

There is some overlap of course - especially in the last 2 categories.

I’m surprised there are so few people over 65. I thought it would be higher. I guess I think of all boomers as over 65, which isn’t correct.

No doubt. Even if you account for 30m in overlap that is still 220m/330m =67%

Prolly send you to Nauru if you don’t have the document. Well, depending on where you’re coming from.

Yesterday I was ultra stern with my dad about his decision to travel for Thanksgiving to PA to see his partner and her family. I said it doesn’t bother me hugely if you go, but you need to convince her to not have any gathering whatsoever for Thanksgiving. Only the immediate family who lives in the household.

So they conferred about it today. Turns out the area (central PA) is getting ravaged with COVID, all in the last week. One of her lifelong friends just got put on a ventilator. Everybody knows many people with COVID at this point.

He canceled the whole trip.

I’m glad I helped him make a good decision, but damn, it sounds frightful in Central PA. So bad that I think most big Thanksgiving meals will get canceled because everyone knows someone with COVID, which is perhaps the only silver lining.

But I’m becoming increasingly convinced that the normal summertime restrictions are woefully inadequate for winter conditions.

11 Likes

The Swedish guy I know who has had some long-haul-ish symptoms was a distance runner. I wonder if the damage distance running does to the heart (and/or lungs?) maybe makes those people more susceptible to certain long haul symptoms.

1 Like

Sounds like maybe a little bit of brain fog. Please keep us posted how it goes.

The good news is unlike the heart, the brain is incredibly adaptable and healable.

1 Like