COVID-19: Chapter 6 - ThanksGRAVING

In the last 6 weeks my hospitals covid census increased 6x. ICU nurses are getting 1.5x pay for any extra shift they work (even if not overtime) plus a $500 per extra shift bonus. There haven’t been many takers. Nurses are regularly getting assigned 3 patients instead of 2, and nobody is getting 1:1 despite several patients needing that level of care.
I coded two patients yesterday who likely never would have gotten near a code a month ago. Shit starts deteriorating and there isn’t anyone close enough to take action.

24 Likes

It isn’t fair what is happening to you and the others in the medical profession. I cannot tell you how angry I am at all the dipshits who are not only willing to kill people but mentally wreck our front line medical workers so that they can dine indoors and all the rest. Hang in there, I appreciate all your hard work. I’m hopeful the next few months will be the worst of it and it will be downhill from there.

20 Likes

This is gobbledygook

3 Likes

Jfc. Read this thread. Ron Johnson has a senate hearing about how doctors are in bed with big pharma to discredit HCQ.

What a douche.

https://twitter.com/ashishkjha/status/1329646432958156801?s=21

The best 1-2/1-3 player in the history of the world!

1 Like

Lol, is that Tyson?

1 Like

We prescribed hcq/azithro to just about everyone who could tolerate it from march to late april. It didn’t work.

Ran some codes with really weird arrhythmias though. Defib → cardioversion x2 is a weird thing to do. Looked at the monitor a couple times and it was pure nonsense so I tried fixing it with electricity. That case worked out… for awhile at least.

know a hospital employee who was told they didnt need to get tested for covid even though one of their pts got a positive test as long as they wore a mask the whole time they were in the room. lol.

This is… correct? Not sure of the outrage you seem to think should be obvious here.

Yup lol.

oh and just in case somebody doesn’t know, the one drug that I’m aware of with a proven mortality benefit is dexamethasone.

A full course of dexamethasone costs 20 bucks full retail price at Walmart. It’s a very cheap generic drug.

1 Like

Do you disagree that initial dose matters, or that catching covid from someone in your household is more likely to result in a higher initial dose than catching it at Target?

I can’t find any study to back up the second part. But how could catching Covid at Target not be a smaller dose on average than being exposed to an infectious family member for days in close quarters with no mask? It seems so obvious that why would you even study it?

As far as initial dose mattering there is lots of literature to suggest it does.

It is early days, but if the initial amount of virus a person is infected by doesn’t correlate with the severity of disease symptoms, this would mark covid-19 out as different from influenza, MERS and SARS.

Read more: Does a high viral load or infectious dose make covid-19 worse? | New Scientist

Gandhi told MedPage Today that the viral inoculum, or the initial dose of virus that a patient takes in, is one likely determinant of ultimate illness severity. That’s separate from patients’ subsequent viral load, the level of replicating virus as measured by copies per mL.

The “variolation” hypothesis holds that, at some level, the inoculum overwhelms the immune system, leading to serious illness. With less than that (and the threshold may vary from one person to the next), the individual successfully fights off the infection, with mild or no clinical illness.

“Diseases in which your immune system has a big role to play in how sick you get – and your immune system contributes to pathogenesis – do not seem to be able to handle a large viral inoculum,” Gandhi said in an interview.

1 Like

It’s just so deeply unfair that not a single prominent GOP politician has died from this thing despite so obnoxiously asking to be made examples of.

9 Likes

You’re making multiple leaps based on low quality evidence to come to a conclusion. This could end up being right, but the reasoning is crap and the idea that it’s some sort of clinically significant outcome is farfetched at best.

2 Likes

I’m just happy the Senate is running a case study on how effective taking the virus seriously can be compared to a control group. I think we are up to 5 v 0. Can one of our science bros submit a paper?

He didn’t come to a conclusion. He’s doing some informed speculation.

I’ve never claimed proof of anything. But there are only two leaps here:

1. Does initial inoculum load matter? Studies suggest it does - which would match our knowledge of influenza, SARS-1 and other viruses.
  2. Does a who gets covid from their housemate get a higher initial load than one who gets it in public? I’d really like to hear a good argument why they wouldn’t.
3 Likes

Have you yet calculated ‘how much of a load you need to die’?

Are you measuring said ‘load’ by counting virus particles or weighing them?

Has any sane scientist (in the world) yet calculated the difference / quantified the parameters between this almost mystical ‘high load’ and low load?

Different age groups / ethanicities of people have different levels of immune response - might explain your high loads.

Should have a dedicated thread to Suzzer’s Theories after 8 months of this (one must be right soon)