COVID-19: Chapter 6 - ThanksGRAVING

Not really. Most American churches have a Sunday service attendance that is about 20-30% of the total congregation members. Holidays double or triple that number.

A pastor of a church with under 1k members probably maxes out at $30-70k depending on cost of living in the area and demographics of the congregation.

There’s some genuine desire to serve people, but US Christianity has been so heavily influenced by capitalism via cultural syncretism that most pastors probably believe in trickle down economics or adjacent BS. They are beholden to the largest donors similar to politicians.

Source: I’m blood related to dozens of protestant ministers.

There are a few old denominations with old rich congregations where you can make a nice living with a small rich congregations. Otherwise yeah this is spot on.

BYU has dance parties?

1 Like

https://universe.byu.edu/2020/08/08/provo-party-company-holds-event-despite-covid-concerns/

Finally engaged a “DO THE RESEARCH!” person on facebook, which I normally don’t do. I told them to give me some research to peruse. They gave me a non peer reviewed paper written by a research associate from an oceanographic institute, that has flawed math and baked in constants all over the place. And it’s from april and only looks at daily deaths.

I literally started cracking up. Like, you have to be not only scientifically illiterate to think a paper like this has any value, you basically have to just read the title and nothing else: Dropbox - File Deleted - Simplify your life

They sarcastically asked for my “analysis” of the paper since I’m such a big smart science guy. Well, I tore it apart. Still waiting for a response but I don’t expect to get one.

4 Likes

Sacre bleu!

Dr. Anne Schuchat, a 32-year veteran of the C.D.C. and its principal deputy director, had appealed to Americans to wear masks and warned, “We have way too much virus across the country.” But Dr. Alexander, a part-time assistant professor of health research methods, appeared sure he understood the coronavirus better.

“Her aim is to embarrass the president,” he wrote, commenting on Dr. Schuchat’s appeal for face masks in an interview with the Journal of the American Medical Association.

“She is duplicitous,” he also wrote in an email to his boss, Michael R. Caputo, the Health and Human Services Department’s top spokesman who went on medical leave this week. He asked Mr. Caputo to “remind” Dr. Schuchat that during the H1N1 swine flu outbreak in 2009, thousands of Americans had died “under her work.”

Of Dr. Schuchat’s assessment of Covid-19’s dangers, he fumed, wrongly, “The risk of death in children 0-19 years of age is basically 0 (zero) … PERIOD … she has lied.”

Far from hiding what they knew about the virus’s danger, as Bob Woodward’s new book contends President Trump was doing, the emails seem to indicate that aides in Washington were convinced of their own rosy prognostications, even as coronavirus infections were shooting skyward.

At the same time, Mr. Caputo moved to punish the C.D.C.’s communications team for granting interviews to NPR and attempting to help a CNN reporter reach him about a public-relations campaign. Current and former C.D.C. officials called it a five-month campaign of bullying and intimidation.

In another instance, Mr. Caputo wrote to C.D.C. communications officials on July 15 to demand they turn over the name of the press officer who approved a series of interviews between NPR and a longtime C.D.C. epidemiologist, after the department in Washington had moved to take ownership of the agency’s pandemic data collection.

“I need to know who did it,” Mr. Caputo wrote. A day later, still without a reply, Mr. Caputo wrote back. “I have not received a response to my email for 20 hours. This is unacceptable,” he said. “I need this information to properly manage department communications. If you disobey my directions, you will be held accountable.”

In the months leading up to their exits, the two had routinely worked to revise and delay the C.D.C.’s closely guarded and internationally admired health bulletins, called Morbidity and Mortality Weekly Reports, in an effort to paint the administration’s pandemic response in a more positive light.

Far from apologetic, Dr. Alexander told The Globe and Mail of Toronto this week that the C.D.C. had written “pseudoscientific reports” and that he was better suited to examine data than agency scientists.

“None of those people have my skills,” Dr. Alexander said. “I make the judgment whether this is crap.”

In another email to an agency communications officer who had directed a CNN reporter to contact Mr. Caputo about a vaccine public relations campaign, Mr. Caputo shot back, “In what world did you think it was your job to announce an administration public service announcement campaign to CNN?”

The C.D.C. press official then apologized, which did not satisfy Mr. Caputo. “We will discuss this on a teleconference tomorrow. I want your H.R. representative in attendance,” he wrote.

Dr. Alexander also had his own ideas of the virus’s staying power. He disputed Dr. Schuchat’s claim that children were vulnerable to it. Studies have repeatedly demonstrated that while it is rare, the virus can be lethal to children, who can readily transmit it to more vulnerable family members.

“It also causes no symptoms as it is so mild … you don’t even know you have it,” Dr. Alexander wrote. “Many people never knew they had it. Not one indication. It is very false her statement that it causes death in children.”

At one point in his response to Dr. Schuchat, Dr. Alexander appeared to endorse the largely rejected strategy of “herd immunity,” or allowing the virus to freely spread until enough people develop antibodies that it dies for lack of human hosts.

“Importantly, having the virus spread among the young and healthy is one of the methods to drive herd immunity,” he wrote. “This was not the intended strategy but all must be on deck now and it is contributing positively at some level.”

Some pastors had it rougher than others.

9780674190009-us

saw a lady intentionally lower her mask in the store the other day too. People just dgaf anymore.

Twice I heard people coughing in places this week, WHY ARE YOU IN HERE WITH A COUGH FFS. Stayed the hell away from them but maybe I got owned we’ll find out in a week or so.

One of my students coughed in class.

Thing is with everybody wearing a mask, I couldn’t tell who it was to ask that student to go to the waiting room to call their parents. That and it was the only time they coughed. Not every cough is covid. I’ve coughed a few times without having covid.

Try being in Seattle covered by smoke and not cough.

1 Like

I wake up every morning with covid symptoms and then it goes away by about 10 AM.

In case you were wondering whether being personally affected would matter:
https://twitter.com/THEHermanCain/status/1307017174188351488?s=19

Summary

giphy

3 Likes

Why does twitter allow a dead guy to post?

And that’s another student in my school who has covid. This one may have unknowingly gone to school while contagious, unlike the others!

Antibodies that fight covid were detected on one of the antibody tests she took. Don’t know why she took the antibody test. I suppose it’s because she didn’t want to have something jammed up her nose but still wanted to be tested. By the government’s rules, a positive antibody test is not sufficient to quarantine a class. The school now has to encourage (a.k.a. beg) her parents to get her to take a PCR test so the class can be quarantined.

Nearly half my teaching hours are wiped out next week either due to covid or school trips which I still can’t believe are going on despite a pandemic.

Whatever. Probably gonna shut down schools in Prague within the next few days anyway. Happy to get out without covid.

Some of you might remember my cousin who had the Cancun wedding planned for June, which got canceled. So they moved it to KC - small rehearsal dinner outside, outdoor wedding. She just tested positive the day before her rehearsal dinner.

She is such a sweet kid. Works 3 jobs - including massage therapist. I feel so bad for her. She is the last person who deserves this. They have no money and now they’ve gotten double-fucked on deposits. Also her fiancee is a type 1 diabetic. So far he has no symptoms. No idea how.

I’m going to give her a massive wedding present - basically double what I would have spent on the trip to Cancun. It’s just money, but I know they can use it. I’m going to try to get some kind of family appreciation day for her going when all this is over. I feel so heartsick for her. First day of blue sky in two weeks so I go for a hike - my black mood finally starting to lift a little - get this news and RBG texted to me while I’m hiking.

I guess it could have been much worse if she had tested positive the day after the wedding and a bunch of people got sick. Hopefully there’s no collateral damage now.

12 Likes

they only allow it in cases where the people in charge of the dead man’s account are using it to kill more people, i guess

Yeah I played golf today, on the drive home convinced myself we were going to crush the election, vibed out to Hamilton music, came inside, showered, sat down, and within 5 minutes got the RBG news.

When Trump won there were two scenarios I found two terrifying to really think much about: pandemic and RBG dying.

6 Likes

I was out for a walk. Glanced at my phone and just wanted to sit down and cry.

3 Likes