COVID-19: Chapter 6 - ThanksGRAVING

That is exactly what a wimpy Canadian liberal would say! MAGA

1 Like

Three cheers for private sector health care!

Yeah. Barring a best-case scenario that someone else comes out with something equal or better that doesn’t require as onerous storage and shipping in the next month or so, hopefully we can use this to vaccinate, say, millions to maybe tens of millions of front line health workers and other people at the highest risk while there’s continued work on more portable alternatives in parallel with -80 C production.

The good news about vaccinating health care workers is that the overwhelming majority work at a place that has -80 C storage on hand.

3 Likes

Nonsense. Rich people should get it first so they can go back to jetsetting and parties on their private islands.

These people, and government officials, will of course be the actual first people to get it.

1 Like

Right, but I don’t expect a lot of the population to think of it that way, nor do I expect a lot of politicians to do and say the right things here.

I mean, just look at what’s happening with cruise and airline stocks today.

1 Like

And you’re going to use them right away? Going to train nurses and techs to handle stuff in liquid nitrogen?

This will be an issue. It can be overcome, but you don’t really know what you’re talking about.

1 Like

https://twitter.com/kylegriffin1/status/1325839344595296256?s=20

18 Likes

They already know how to do this.

12 Likes

It’s dry ice, not liquid nitrogen. You can pick up a small plastic vial at -80 C with your bare hand and it won’t hurt your hand at all since plastic isn’t a good conductor of heat. Wouldn’t want to do the same thing with a copper ball at dry ice temperatures, obviously.

I don’t know how many hospitals or clinics have -80 freezers but if they don’t they can just keep adding dry ice to the cooler and distribute it out of the cooler. Not ideal but workable.

True we just use liqN2 as a back in some -80 freezers I’ve used in the past.

1 Like

7 Likes

It’s not liquid nitrogen it’s dry ice, and even if it was liquid nitrogen, it’s not remotely difficult to handle. End user handling is maybe a 3 on a 1-10 difficulty scale. Getting millions of doses to the right place in a timely fashion during the holiday shopping rush is a bigger issue imo.

1 Like

I mean fuck Ben Carson too but why can’t we use a one time on Bill Barr?

1 Like

Another excellent nominee

2 Likes

-80 freezers are 100% standard in any biochemistry lab, so I’d assume they’re present in the overwhelming majority of hospitals, certainly those that are part of a university system. Probably not as common at your standard clinician’s office. I’d expect almost all of them to be almost entirely full right now, but they can probably find some old samples to toss to make room.

Fun fact: you can pour liquid nitrogen into your bare cupped hand for a few seconds and it just boils and doesn’t burn your hand at all. The boiling nitrogen forms an insulating layer between your skin and the liquid nitrogen, which isn’t a good conductor of heat itself. Have to be very careful with a dry ice/acetone bath though.

1 Like

Glass vials at -80 hurt but no real damage.

Apologies for my confusing post earlier on liquid N2 temp.

Funny story with dry ice. We had a guy driving a box of cultures from Illinois to Eastern TN in his blazer. He felt lightheaded and pulled over to get a bit to eat. When his head cleared he realized that he was suffering low oxygen due to the CO2 sumlibation.

Lesson on the story- if you are transporting dry ice in your car, open the window.

3 Likes

A select few do, but generally? This is absolutely false.

I want to know how long it lasts in a normal fridge or freezer. It can’t require -80C right up until use.