COVID-19: Chapter 6 - ThanksGRAVING

That’s awful. I hope things turn out fine for your dad, but if things get rough, you should blow off voting to go support your family if that’s the right thing to do, and not feel a shred of guilt about it.

1 Like

This may be what happens and it may be good messaging, but a proper two week quarantine has to eliminate most of the risk, right?

Took my car in to get a flat fixed - literally all these employees walking around inside without a mask on. Not a single one. Car dealerships continue to be the worst place on earth.

But is everyone “really” going to quarantine for two weeks

Is it worth risking death?

https://twitter.com/karenerrichetti/status/1322203458263568384

6 Likes

In this case it’s me and my parents, so it’s 3 people and I can trust them. The bigger issue may be me, given that I will not have two weeks clear from my last poker game, and I’m not in a financial position to skip one. So we’d have to push it a few days and I may hit the next poker game.

As a resident of Solano County, one would not have to go far to do exactly that.

Wife and I both tested negative this morning, so now we get to lock down for a few days before a nine hour drive to some random Kentucky lake house we found on airbnb. Parents also driving about 8 hours to meet us, first time seeing them in 11 months. Started 2020 on the best vacation of my life (honeymoon in Australia) and this is where we’re at now, lol.

22 Likes

At least you got a good vacation in before covid.

I thank the great sphagetti monster constantly that the Chiefs snuck their SB win in just before covid.

Standard stuff - it can be two weeks from date of infection to date of when you’d first test positive so 2 tests are required 2 weeks apart to be 100% sure you’re clear

otherwise we’d all be travelling internationally just by showing a clear test on departure and another on arrival - you have to take a clear test on arrival, followed by 2 weeks quarantine, then 2nd test and if clear, off you go

What I don’t understand is if it’s 2 weeks from infection → positive why is two weeks, test not sufficient?

What’s the point of the first test?

Antibodies are produced about 5–7 days after a coronavirus infection as part of the immune response. 14 days is the max.

Therefore, how can 1 test ever assure you’re not carrying?

It sounds as though you’re mitigating as much as is reasonable given the circumstances but the proposed activity is not without some risk

1 Like

The issue here is that the test may not catch a recent infection within the last few days. Like my point here is that there should be no scenario where someone is positive on Day 1, quarantines the whole time, is negative on Day 14 and is contagious on Day 15. So what’s the point of the test on Day 1?

Right, I know people who got married 2-3 months later that had to jump through enormous hoops just to do anything resembling a honeymoon and they might never get a real one. I also remember seeing Covid costumes during Mardi Gras after we got back and remarking to my wife how that probably would not age well. Sure enough, 3-4 weeks later only NYC had it worse than us.

1 Like

There is a scenario where someone tests negative on first test, lockdowns for a few days and sees parents cause they must be negative cause they had 1 negative test a ‘few’ days ago and not seen anyone since.

1 test is never enough because you might have covid but not have developed the antibodies yet which the test is looking for.

I guess there’s some positives here in that the pandemic appears to be peaking in the Czech Republic. Used to be that cases were surging but the restrictions have stopped any further growth.

At this point, one has to wonder how long it will take for us to recover to the point where we can go back to school. I wouldn’t be surprised if it was late November but hopefully they take some precautions than last time.

I mean it should be way later but politics will send us back earlier only for there to be another spike.

1 Like

To be clear, we have been pretty locked down for 1.5 weeks almost aside from that whole Hurricane thing where we had to hit up a small grocery store. Tested negative today, locking down hard, and driving to the sticks on Thursday. It’s not 100% foolproof, but my parents are comfortable with it.

2 Likes

High five for well timed vacations.

Wife and I did two weeks in Argentina and Uruguay in late February.

1 Like

Had to do the same recently with a slow leak on a new car. Everyone was masked but one guy was saying how much he hates masks and he’d rather just die of Coronavirus then wear one smh. But seems like they have a super strict policy because everyone was 100% masked. Probably because its CA and they know it would piss off a ton of customers.

BBC coverage of Boris’ news conference

Now is the time to take action because there is no alternative,” the PM says.

He says from Thursday people in England “must stay at home”.

3 Likes