COVID-19: Chapter 6 - ThanksGRAVING

This guy’s not an economist…

The University of Liverpool’s Professor Calum Semple has been recognised with an OBE in the Queen’s Birthday Honours for his services to the COVID-19 response.

As a member of the Scientific Advisory Group for Emergencies (SAGE), Professor Semple has played a key role in advising the UK Government on COVID-19. He also leads a major national COVID-19 research study and has appeared regularly as an expert in the media throughout the pandemic.

Professor Semple joined Liverpool in 1999 after completing his clinical training in London and Oxford. He holds the position of Professor of Child Health and Outbreak Medicine at the University and is a consultant respiratory paediatrician at Alder Hey Children’s Hospital.

Having dedicated most of his career to studying disease outbreaks, including HIV, MERS and Ebola, he has been a leading expert during the COVID-19 crisis.

As the Chief Investigator of the International Severe Acute Respiratory and Emerging Infection Consortium (ISARIC) Clinical Characterisation Protocol UK (CCP-UK), Professor Semple and his colleagues have collected, distributed and analysed thousands of COVID-19 specimens over the past nine months. The results have helped inform the outbreak response and patient care, not just in the UK but internationally, and will continue to do so.

I posted his very recent studies, that kids, under 12yr catch at a lower rate and spread 25% rate of an adult weeks ago.

I followed that rabbit hole when you posted it last time.

I guess this is another example of what I was trying to express. Bolded sections from study abstracts don’t validate conclusions universally.

IMHE has done a lot of changes since their initial forecasts. They were literally just curve fitting. They were given a lot of input they never acknowledged (raising my hand). They were literally 1/2 step better than that stupid cubic model the WH put out saying the cases would go to zero in 15 days.

Then IHME started to do “exponential tailing” and other voodoo (better voodoo than initial) before finally starting to build off first principles.

Several of us in this thread did some simple exponential equations that has described the shapes of rises, plateaus, and declines pretty reliably (recent one posted by @Fatboy8). The only hard part is the timing of when people and/or government responds.

I believe the latest IHME modes are better based in actual epidemiology.

Non of the things published in the Atlantic or NYT have near the rigor to make the claims that come out in the article. Small kudos for the NYT putting in a lot of caveats but they were still taking a position unwarranted by the information available, regardless of what someone’s bias might be.

And lest we forget, Anders the Swedish clown has all the requisite degrees and got the position of leading a nations response into hell.

Their is always that fifth dentist they never talk about (4 out of 5 dentists recommend…).

1 Like

I was specifically responding to theorangones post referencing testing rates between Europe and the US, he said the US was much lower than Europe and I correctly pointed out that isn’t true. I’m not trying to make any kind of America #1 statement here, chill

1 Like

Is that established, though? So maybe a kid doesn’t die, but are kids also immune to the possible long-term effects (such as the recently discovered brain damage)?

1 Like

Are the volunteers risking infections only to test vaccines? My suggestion was to also use them to test various combinations of masks, distance, time exposed etc.

I should also like to point out that for young people you could make the argument that the “risk” could actually be beneficial for them themselves. Because of the setting they would be in. The moment they tested positive they would be given maximal care, which wouldn’t be the case if they got infected randomly out in the world.

French President Emmanuel Macron has announced a second national lockdown, banning travel between regions.

Mr Macron said under the new measures, starting on Friday, people will only be allowed to leave home for essential work or medical reasons.

Non-essential businesses, such as restaurants and bars, will close.

Covid daily deaths have risen above 500 there and officials say everything must be done so it “does not overwhelm us”.

1 Like

Maybe so, but just imagine what the Mets would have been capable of.

1 Like

https://twitter.com/Ken_Rosenthal/status/1321530255992070144

Really unbelievable how selfish people can be. Also this guy probably pozzed multiple people(if they weren’t already pozzed) who are now going to go back to their hometown.

His actions should be criminal.

4 Likes

For what it’s worth, I don’t buy the timeline the MLB and the Dodgers are putting out. I’ve also seen that since he didn’t have a negative test prior to the game (they’re saying it was “inconclusive”) he shouldn’t have been allowed to play in the first place. So, Turner should be held responsible for his actions, but I’m fairly confident the institutions involved are not blameless.

1 Like

I agree. Lots of blame to go around. Results coming in half way through the game is also lol.

1 Like

Sinple solution. 50 game suspension and fines for Turner, massive fines for LA, loss of their next three first round picks and the loss of their WS title*. Make an example since this will not be over before the next season starts.

2 Likes

… or, “OMG HE’S A REAL CHAMPION PLAYING THROUGH COVID THAT’S PUTTING YOUR TEAM FIRST! DAVID ECKSTEIN!”

1 Like

As an Astros fan it’s nice not being the worst thing a baseball team has done in the past 2 years

8 Likes

Dallas Braden said on Twitter that his covid test takes 15 minutes and that the A’s pay for it. There’s no way he has access to testing that quickly and MLB players don’t.

Ya I think there’s more to the story and it’s not going to be a good look for MLB.

1 Like

I call bullshit on California’s and Texas’s COVID numbers today.

Assuming you are looking at WM most counties haven’t reported yet.

2 Likes

are_we_done_john_oliver