COVID-19: Chapter 6 - ThanksGRAVING

Why would the knowledge of the exact sequence make people lockdown faster? I’m not sure we can tell infectiousness or lethality based on knowledge of the genetic sequence alone. And even before the the sequence was published it was already known that it was SARS-CoV-2, so most of the genome sequence would have already been known.

I assume they’d arrive at that conclusion a week sooner, but maybe I’m wrong. At the very least they’d know a week sooner than this was quite a bit different than SARS and MERS and maybe we should tread lightly given the tremendous unknown.

A week sooner? In January? And anything would be different?

No, not one thing would have been changed in any response anywhere in the world.

4 Likes

The way we know it’s different in an important way from SARS and MERS is in how easily it spreads and how it actually affects infected people.

The actual knowledge of the genome sequence probably doesn’t help that much. Sure you’ll know it’s different, but you don’t know the significance of those differences until people start catching it and you see what happens.

The treatment section was pretty thin, and basically only hcq made it in large numbers to the states. Rest is just a description of how the body dies.

I’m still baffled how everyone missed the PEs at first. (Blood clots in the lungs)

I’m giving you a bed frame, here it is

Thanks. If there is ever a need for me to make that specific bed and I don’t already have the instructions, it will be quite useful!

2 Likes

We had more than 10,000 cases more than the previous high Saturday and more than 20,000 cases more than last Saturday. That is a huge week over week increase. Our 7dma now sits at 67,600.

Yup this gives me great hope for even more lying and obfuscation when a big space rock is known to be on target for Mother Earth.

1 Like

This is where the discussion should be. It doesn’t matter how it got it here. The simple fact is that USA#1 is the worst at handling the virus (or at least worst relative to resources).

We wasted the pandemic playbook. We wasted the CDC, the gold standard on the planet. The NIH, FDA, and so on. All for one mans ego.

5 Likes

Put the “Winter is Coming” title back.

Feels like anything that had “China virus” in the title wasn’t a good look, even if in jest.

9 Likes

I’ve completely tuned out of this thread for about 2 weeks as I needed a mental health break from something and I can’t pull away from the election stuff. I know cases are at an all time high now and infections rates are rising (that damn testing, best in the world). What else have a missed? Any noteworthy news on the vaccine or treatment front? Thanks.

This really should be the UP official slogan.

2 Likes

Czech Minister of Health speculates that a half million people currently have covid in the Czech Republic. His basis is the sample results in Slovakia of a countrywide antigen test combined with the greater prevalence and larger population in the CR.

https://twitter.com/davidenrich/status/1320357481110003717?s=21

4 Likes

These fuckers

White House chief of staff: ‘We are not going to control the pandemic’

That sounds bad but remember Washington’s famous quote that “We’re not going to control the British”?

3 Likes

People are starting to realize just how much shit is flying towards giant fans:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/europe/belgium-covid-hospitals-schools/2020/10/23/85358010-14a9-11eb-a258-614acf2b906d_story.html

Spain called a state of emergency lasting until May 2021. A nightly curfew will be in effect for the next two weeks and will be continued until they get a nationwide incidence rate of 25/100000.

The head infectologist of Austria‘s CDC-equivalent said:

Clearly this means that Chiner and Biden were in cahoots. Biden knew Covid was coming

https://twitter.com/rbreich/status/1320353789623390208?s=21

I suspect this was a response to the WHO report in October 2019 warning the world we’re overdue a pandemic and the worst we could get would be a respiratory disease

1. PREPARING FOR THE WORST: A RAPIDLY SPREADING, LETHAL RESPIRATORY
    PATHOGEN PANDEMIC
    page 26