COVID-19: Chapter 6 - ThanksGRAVING

I completely disagree. Their perceived personal EV is negative, not their actual. Look at the elections in New Zealand, and if you mean businesses instead of politicians, look at the economy. Lots are getting killed.

I guess if you mean Amazon and WalMart and such, yeah, they should be looking into unleashing COVID-25 as soon as this ones over cause they’re crushing it.

There are separate issues here. China, based on available information, did some things really well and some really poorly.

Still having unsafe exotic wet markets in 2019: F
Shutdowns (procedures, length, etc) in early 2020: B+
Transparency with scientific info regarding the virus: F
Sharing medical treatment information globally: A
Mask-wearing and other precautions: A

Politicians instinctive act as if any bad news is a threat to their power. They may be wrong, but transparency seems to be perceived as bad for electoral success unless it’s an obvious lie they will be punished for.

Yeah that’s why I said perceived. I just think it’s an inaccurate perception. Honesty & a good response = victory. Neither = defeat. Lying and a good response > honesty and a bad response, results may vary.

I agree that it’s an inaccurate perception, but you said their perceived personal EV was negative.

These people like to feel in control, so anything that threatens that control is perceived as a decrease in EV.

Maybe I’m poorly informed, but my impression was that this was a big, open, well-known market. It’s not like it was in some dark backroom black market.

I assume that means they were legal. Maybe you’re referring to their actions since this happened, if not I’d need to see some evidence.

Yeah but not in downtown markets right out on the street in broad daylight. I would also imagine that there are options more effective than outright prohibition.

Huh? Such as? What can I go buy in a market in Philadelphia or NYC or LA that can cause a global pandemic?

Like I said, I make no judgement on people eating pangolin or other random animals I would think are gross to eat. Plenty of people think eating a cow is gross.

Did they or did they not dilly dally on sharing the genetic sequencing of the virus once they had it? This was widely discussed in the news in early 2020.

The CDC is 100% conspiring under the Trump administration to provide misinformation to the American public and to boost profitability of businesses, it’s not even debatable at this point.

1. They lied about masks, but at least for good reason (to preserve them for medical workers given we didn’t stockpile them when we knew this was coming).

2. They changed guidelines on surface transmission just as businesses reopened to save them some hassle/money.

3. They’ve kept revising on airborne transmission even after the rest of the world knew/admitted it.

4. They’ve taken some reporting away from other agencies and some has been privatized and wouldn’t you know there is some under reporting.

Right so their perceived personal EV is negative if they’re honest, hence they lie. But they’re wrong and would do better being honest.

I can’t think of a single thing from China. Not sure if that’s them sucking or not sharing. Landmark papers were England (recovery) and NYC just starting blood thinners on every one

Didn’t they put out the full genome sequence very early on?

China shared that long case study early on that was everything they had learned (or thought they had learned) in the first few months through several thousand hospitalizations, and the procedures their top experts were using and suggesting.

I remember reading the translation in a pdf, but I don’t recall how much stood the test of time and how much proved ultimately wrong. Regardless, they seemed to be transparent with it and gave it to the world.

This would have been in early-mid March. You probably would have been way too busy to have had time to read it, obviously. I would imagine someone in some agency was tasked with doing so and then redistributing the info to hospitals and doctors more succinctly.

Genome is not a treatment

I don’t remember, but when did the least racist Emperor ever tell Bob Woodward that it was like the plague? Can we start counting from that, or something.

“We have to show calm,” he said. "Certainly I’m not going to drive this country or the world into a frenzy. We want to show confidence. We have to show strength.

“We don’t want to go around screaming, ‘Look at this, look at this.’”

Trump also told Woodward in February that the coronavirus was “deadly stuff.”

"You just breathe the air and that’s how it’s passed,” Trump said, according to The Post. “And so that’s a very tricky one. That’s a very delicate one. It’s also more deadly than even your strenuous flu.”

1 Like

Sure, but that’s quite the hair you’re splitting.

It’s not like it was useless information. Probably quite helpful in development of testing and vaccines.

But I guess it’s not treatment, so no credit for evil China.

We took stuff from Italy. It was largely wrong, but whatever. Not trying to diss China, and it is entirely possible it went China to Italy/France then here.

The beginning was all applying ARDSnet to covid (a landmark study on how to handle people with acute respiratory distress syndrome, which Covid causes), good supportive icu care stuff. That was all kinda standard stuff, until we ran out of key meds

Well they delayed that, as I just shared in the AP link. They did release that case study pretty quickly if I recall correctly.

I don’t understand people. It’s not a hair I’m splitting. It’s not a treatment period. We were talking about treatments.

According to cuse’s link:

Drugs are treatment. Maybe it didn’t pan out (yet), but it increased the EV of some sort of drug being developed.

Anyway, if you agree that they released the genome and it was of use, then I’m not sure we have any disagreement. I agree that it’s usefulness for treatment is low.

Also as cuse points out it looks like they sat on it for about a week. So they should certainly be criticized for that. But it was still in early Jan, so it was before the shit hit the fan.

Here it is:

I’m definitely curious whether that information got to you in early March, as my post then was bemoaning that I didn’t trust this administration to be competent enough to make sure it worked its way to our frontline medical workers.

That report is what made me get the pulse oximeter, as they had identified low blood oxygen levels as the key indicator of severe ceases requiring urgent trestment, whereas the consensus internationally hadn’t caught on to that yet and some people with low O2 but no major respiratory symptoms weren’t getting the treatment they needed.

I recall at that stage the forum was doing a great job collectively of picking stuff up from foreign news sources and governments, which generally left us 3-14 days ahead of the US news and government.

The key here is that getting it out may have left to stricter measures being taken a week sooner, and time was HUGE at that stage of it. If the world learns one thing from this it should be that you don’t fuck around with this shit, lockdown early, lockdown hard, and stamp it out while you can.

It’s way easier to keep it from blowing up than to get it under control once it has.