Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Looks like the internet solves another mystery

14 Likes

I posted this earlier. But my ex’s 87-year old Mom is Singaporean of Chinese descent. Her family stories about what they had to do to survive WWII are mindbogglingly awful.

1 Like

My MIL’s family had to flee China in the 40’s and she was too young to go. Her grandmother took care of her and her sister until they were able to get out. She speaks very nonchalantly of watching people get their heads chopped off.

Yeah we can’t even imagine what some of them have been through.

My GF’s family story is that the Japanese troops lined everyone in the village up as punishment for some transgression, and started moving down the line executing them, but stopped right on her grandmother and let her live.

This is from something Chris Hayes retweeted, if you keep chasing through RTs you’ll get to a document that is translated from Chinese that is apparently a summary of what China believes/knows about this so far, and some data they have from studies/research.

The best news is that it appears people who get it do develop some degree of immunity for some period of time, which is extremely important in terms of these outbreaks subsiding.

https://twitter.com/florian_krammer/status/1236455333767323653?s=19

Here’s the tweet linking to the guide on treatment and diagnosis.

https://twitter.com/KrutikaKuppalli/status/1236478693767122945?s=19

A couple of my key takeaways as a layman:

1. It attacks (or at least impacts) way more than the lungs. They’ve noted changes to the spleen, heart and blood vessels, liver and gall bladder, kidneys, and other organs.

2. As we know already, the e primary symptoms it presents with are fever, dry cough and fatigue. Severe cases often present with shortness of breath and low levels of oxygen in the blood one week after symptoms start. It can take a rapid turn for the worse from there in a few ways, “severe patients can rapidly progress to acute respiratory distress syndrome, septic shock, difficult to correct metabolic acidosis, coagulation dysfunction and multiple organ failure.”

3. There have been severe cases with low grade fevers or even NO fever.

4. Looks like there may be ways to diagnose without testing for antibodies or COVID-19 nucleic acids, based on low white blood cell counts. Also looks like there are some good indications from chest imaging. Hopefully hospitals can use these methods as the CDC continues to lag on testing.

5. The treatment for mild cases includes oxygen and anti-virals and supporting organ function, among other things.

My big question is what percentage of American doctors have even seen this? Is CDC distributing this info? I doubt it. What a tragedy if we aren’t using the best info available to treat patients here.

That’s a lot of employees showing symptoms :anguished:

I’ve seen many myself (not close to as many as you). Oddly they don’t tend to be the calls that trigger me. And they’re pretty simple to treat in an EMS setting. You guys do the real work.

I haven’t had a shotgun suicide yet, knock wood. Seems like those scenes tend to stick with guys.

1 Like

Was watching a WWII documentary w the wife and I asked her how money people her grandfather killed in the war. She was shocked at the thought. The stories he told and pictures he saved made it seem like a travelog.

He was the GUNNER in a TANK that started at the beaches a couple days after D-Day and ended with him at the Eagles nest (awesome pics).

I put the over/under at 500. Chance he got shot at 1000%.

1 Like

The testing numbers are interesting. I’ve been following a couple on YouTube who were on the cruise ship in Japan. They both got it and have been in Japanese hospital for a couple weeks now. They are tested almost daily. Sometimes more. You have to have two consecutive negative tests to be considered negative.

In light of this when media mentions test numbers is it number of persons tested or raw number of tests used?

Sad news for everyone, we’re going to see Bernie die. Biden hides in a basement anyways so he’s not getting it. Trump will get it and be almost asymptomatic, he will appear invincible and power through to another election win even without even cheating. AOC gets serious complications, no hospitals have rooms left, and she refuses to take the room from a dying patient and dies for lack of oxygen along with the Progressive Movement. The US, reeling from coronavirus institutes coronavirus camps. Trump looking at you and making his best guess is what determines who get imprisoned. Trump says most of us look like dangerous cases and most Unstuckers are sent away to the camps where they are injected with supercoronavirus and die.

Forty years later, after a change of heart, npc writes the true story of Unstuck. We shall never forget.

2 Likes

Lol dude… you need to worry more about depression than COVID-19. I get that you’re trying to be funny but I’m struggling to imagine someone who wasn’t in the middle of a depressive episode writing this.

2 Likes

https://twitter.com/chrislhayes/status/1236492106455224320?s=21

https://twitter.com/chrislhayes/status/1236492107453530112?s=21

Narrator: There was no plan.

https://twitter.com/ABC/status/1236645021719412737?s=19

1 Like

We’re now at 28 people infected in the Czech Republic. Yesterday nearly 200 people were tested for coronavirus. Since March 1st, almost 800 people total have been tested. Most of the cases appear mild since they’re in home isolation with only the first wave being hospitalized. This includes our second community-spread case where a person subleasing a flat from one of the cases also got sick.

Seems that there’s not much more the government can do at this point aside from outright banning travel in and out of the country. Just gotta keep this up.

So if random various threads on twitter and other bits and pieces of news can be believe, (which I think it can), it appears that Italy is starting to break. This should be really fun when this starts happening in the USA, considering how armed everybody is.

Could you post a link or two?

Italy was broken long before the coronavirus came through.

3 Likes

Italy has seen the largest number of coronavirus infections in Europe, with the number of confirmed cases jumping by more than 1,200 to 5,883 on Saturday.

The death toll in Italy has passed 230, with officials reporting more than 36 deaths in 24 hours.

The health care system in the Italian region of Lombardy is on the brink of collapse, the head of its crisis response unit has said.

“We’re now being forced to set up intensive care treatment in corridors, in operating theatres, in recovery rooms. We’ve emptied entire hospital sections to make space for seriously sick people,” Antonio Pesenti told the Corriere della Sera newspaper.

“One of the best health systems in the world, in Lombardy, is a step away from collapse,” he said.

The northern region is one of 15 Italian areas that have had measures imposed restricting travel in a bid to contain the outbreak.

1 Like

I guess we are going to have to wait for 1,000 olds to die before maybe they believe it? Maybe a FNC host Or prominent republican comes down with it?

https://twitter.com/thestagmania/status/1236298563598127104?s=21

1 Like