COVID-19: Chapter 5 - BACK TO SCHOOL

The social isolation is extremely important too, but the education loss is the biggest problem imo. Doesn’t matter if you’re over 11, the losses are going to be brutal for nearly every kid, even many wealthy ones.

We can’t, Trump and the GOP have turned this crisis into a series of damned if we do, damned if we don’t decisions. This one is going to be a particularly tough one, especially depending on how McConnell handles it.

As a parent of 2 kids, I know how often kids spread illnesses during the school year.

Colds, flus, etc swarm through the schools and when a contagious bug goes around, you’ll see large numbers of kids out at the same time.

This thing is super contagious and it will spread like wildfire through the schools.

If I was a kid, I’d be really bitter if I didn’t get a year off out of this pandemic. I’m still bitter there weren’t any teacher strikes when I was forced to go.

7 Likes

I’m 44 and still pissed I only missed like 2 days of school when I was sick for 3 weeks from mono. NJ had a freak ice storm and the school was closed.

2 Likes

38 posts were merged into an existing topic: Pandemic Economics: Stonks, rent negotiation, and the looming Second Great Depression

In my district:

1. Cohorts (students grouped together, same locker areas etc)

2. No gym locker rooms in use.

3. Hand sanitizer

4. Sanitize school 2x a day

5. F2F and distance learning available (but you have to pick one for entire year)

6. Masks optional! USA#1 TEXAS#MUHFREEDOMS

7. Self performed temp checks on the honor system.

8. If you look sketchy at school, temp check.

9. Boxed lunches, no more pizza day, you slubberdegullions!

10. Mandatory 14 day quarantine for any pozzes.

I believe the technical statistical nomenclature for this arrangement is “Mongolian Clusterfuck”.

9 Likes

Probably needs to be a stay home 12 weeks thing at this point. If it rebounds after that, nothing can be done to stop it outside of a vaccine.

I’m confident only going 6 weeks would do nada at this stage.

Yeah KY is now on a one month mask wearing mandate because of these numbers. I’m not religious at all, but I pretty much thank God every day we elected Beshear instead of Bevin. It might not be enough, but man Bevin would have been such a disaster.

3 Likes

https://twitter.com/billyscheel/status/1281065941086814209?s=19

9 Likes

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nytimes.com/2020/07/08/health/coronavirus-risk-factors.amp.html

In addition to the already known age and sex risk factors, South Asian and black people are around 1.7 times more likely to die of a COVID infection than white people.

This 60 Minutes piece on this family a few months ago was absolutely heartbreaking.

1 Like

“The south will rise again!”

3 Likes

https://mobile.twitter.com/JimSwiftDC/status/1281270668546445315

6 Likes

The plan is to blame the Guatemalan janitor for probably being an illegal and that’s why little Jimmy got sick.

1 Like

Great article about kids returning to school that addresses a lot of concerns raised ITT would love to hear thoughts

1 Like

Man, you got unlucky.

When I had mono, I was out for I think three weeks, with semester exams right in the middle. My biology teacher surprised me with a call at home to tell me that I didn’t have to take the exam. He said all I needed was a B to keep my A in the class and he knew I would get it, so he just gave me the A. My guidance counselor then went to the rest of my teachers to tell them that, so a couple more did the same thing. I had one “exam exemption,” which I used, so I only ended up having to take one final when I was healthy.

I grew up in Wisconsin and despite that, I can’t remember having a snow day because we were so used to snow that the plows were always out at like 4:00am clearing the streets. Once we had about a day and a half off because it was TOO COLD and a water main at the school broke. It was something like -70 with wind chill.

2 Likes

I spent 5 years in Maine as a kid so yeah I totally remember the no snow days thing. The states that get a lot of snow know how to handle it basically. There were more days off for inclement weather in Texas than in Maine lol.

It’s a piece with a deceptive headline trying to smuggle reality to people who still haven’t made contact with it.