COVID-19: Chapter 5 - BACK TO SCHOOL

I’m old enough to remember when Dr. Wizard of Oz got raked over the coals for ‘we need to open the schools, some kids will die, blah, blah, blah’. Now hardly anyone’s getting raked for this idea when we’re in a MUCH worse spot.

3 Likes

I don’t know how open Israel officially was. Johnny made a good point about the Overton window and if you are going to keep R0<1 maybe you have to have some people aiming for policies that are more shutdown than necessary in order to just keep R0<1.

1 Like

I put it more in the speculation category.

1 Like

I was legit trying to figure out how ALTTP = ocarina of time.

You olds dont know shit

2 Likes

Yes but IF the case background was low we could probably safely OFB&S(chool) with contract tracing and isolation.

1 turning into 5 is bad news but we can deal with it. 10 turning into 50 is a catastrophe.

It’s funny in a very sad way to think about what that sentence really says:

Johnny made a good point about the Overton window and if you are going to keep this thing from growing exponentially and killing hundreds of thousand more people, maybe you have to have some people aiming for policies that are more shutdown than necessary in order to just keep from letting it grow exponentially and kill hundreds of thousands more people.

I need to try parallel worlds again. Its deceptively hard.

I can’t immediately find the details of what Israel did, but maybe that is what they did. They didn’t just open wide. There were restrictions on things at schools at least and I would think in other areas.

It’s just amazing to me that OFB actually meant PARTY TIME! And not actually BUSINESS or SCHOOL. We wasted all the effort in the spring for a few drinks.

PPE Supplies and beds are short. Testing reagents are Short. Test turnaround is long. Nobody has a plan expect for a handful of early hard hit Blue Governor states.

JFC this is so tilting.

2 Likes

Well, we never stopped being OFB if you mean the stuff that keeps people alive, having working utilities and such.

Oh well, man, we tried. We’re the greatest country in the world, if we can’t do it, obviously nobody can! Pass me the beer funnel, would ya?

GODDDDDDDDDDDDDDD I’m frustrated with things. This is not fucking rocket science politically, listen to the fucking experts and do what they say. But we’re not capable.

2 Likes

Our closed was a lot of countries’ open.

1 Like

Can’t say it was for nothing, we’re 4 months into the 5 year plan for herd immunity!

5 Likes

I mean offices and regular work, you know the things people are unemployed from.

One thing I think we all underestimate is how many otherwise intelligent people cannot fucking cope with a pandemic, they just do not have it in them. My friend in Houston hits me up every few days with a, “What about this? What about that?” all hoping for some fucking moonshot. He cannot process or handle the reality of what is going on, so he sort of puts himself into a shell from reality and lives as normal of a life as possible. He’ll use a mask to go into stores, but he won’t stop going. He’ll dine outside sometimes, but he won’t skip going out.

He’s taking more precautions now that it’s really bad there, but he still thinks it’s going to be fine soon. He’s still trying to get extra work on the side in radio which would involve going into a studio that other people have been in and out of, which is obviously just nuts.

Not a stupid guy, just cannot for the life of him process this reality.

1 Like

https://twitter.com/scontorno/status/1281638164575055872?s=20

Look how flat that curve is

2 Likes

You’re in Germany right? How would you feel about going to school in Florida or Texas right now?

Just the way I like it

tumblr_nhmqygyNkY1rdsbb4o1_500

I think one of the strongest points in favor of the Tolerant Left is that these idiots don’t have credible death threats that we have heard about. So fucking stupid.