COVID-19: Chapter 5 - BACK TO SCHOOL

Their earnings reports are going to be catastrophic. There’s also no way that operating the parks in this manner is profitable, all it does is slow down the bleeding.

1 Like

I don’t have any numbers for long term morbidity, once they leave the ICU I almost never see them again. Some lungs definitely get trashed during the course of the disease, but I can’t even begin to guess the prevalence. Mortality in the ICU seems to have improved dramatically from those first few weeks though.

4 Likes

So just more bullshit to deal with, and a reminder for those that use Dependent Care Assistance Program for child care - make sure you stop your contributions if you aren’t using it.

For those that don’t have kids or who have older kids and don’t know about the program, you can have up to $5,000 of your pay taken out pre-tax and used to pay for child care services. But, if you don’t spend it all, it goes away. No way to get it back.

We stopped the deductions last month, but we stopped after school child care in March when the schools closed, so I basically have $1,500 sitting in the account that there’s no way I can get back unless we utilize some child care between now and the end of the year. Since I very much doubt school is going back in session in my district this fall, that money is just going to go away unless the administration decides that Covid is enough reason to refund it back.

It’s such a bullshit program that you have to gamble that you’ll spend all the money. I don’t know why they can’t just refund the unused portion and tax it like normal income. It’s so ridiculous that you have to gamble that you’ll spend all the money or lose it.

1 Like

https://twitter.com/bobbycblanchard/status/1280903114749554690?s=20

Kingery’s a 26-year-old that the Phillies gave a 6 year contract to before he played a single major league game and it took him almost a month to recover.

2 Likes

Good morning,

Our colleagues in Strategic Communications have asked that we avoid using the word mask, when referring to the protective facial shield that is currently required attire in public places. Please use the newly approved term, face covering. This decision stems from a consideration of liability and the desire to make a clear distinction between a face covering’s purpose versus that of medical-grade masks. Since we aren’t holding in-person events at the moment, please keep this little tidbit in mind for when we are once again able to invite [our school mascot]s into shared spaces.

Thank you and be well,

My employer tackling the important covid issues.

1 Like

https://twitter.com/CNNPolitics/status/1280896870022369280?s=20

“Clearly something happened…”
“Whatever happened in Florida happened across the Sun Belt”
“Whatever occurred - occurred almost simultaneously across the South”

Wonder what that could have been? It’s such a mystery.

6 Likes

Yea, the CFR in the US is still like 4.5%, so if the actual number of infections in the US is somewhere between 6.5 and 26 million infections. Possibly even higher because deaths lag positive tests by a few weeks.

It’s the same with healthcare flexible spending accounts. A complete joke of a system. My wife started a new job last October. She opted to put $50/pay period (2 weeks) into the healthcare fsa. We didn’t really use it those 3 months of 2019 so at the end of the year I check to see how much we have and how we can use it. Instead of putting $50/pay period, they figured out what that works out to for the whole year ($1300) and put that in it, and my wife didn’t notice it coming out of her checks. And, the company matches it. So there we were, with a week left before it magically disappears and about $2500 to spend on sunscreen and other bullshit that qualifies. And guess who gets the money when it expires, the employer, even though the employee contributed it. Nice healthcare system we’ve got.

4 Likes

I’m frankly blown away that essentially the entire country seems to be just fine with 50,000+ new cases a day and 4,000, and soon to be more, deaths a week.

In March I remember the country hitting 1,000 total cases being a big deal and people freaking out. Now we are spiraling towards the worse end of the possible outcomes that were discussed in March and as near as I can tell most people don’t care.

1 Like

https://twitter.com/nycsouthpaw/status/1280911305529049089?s=20

FFS, that is not how this is supposed to work.

1 Like

Which isnt the worst thing in the world, to be honest.

Tuition prices at college are way overpriced right now. Something has to give in the higher education system

I received my test result today, five days after getting tested. It was negative. But I stayed the f away from my family for the past week in case.

20 Likes

lo i didn’t even catch that when i posted but yea, shes saying that since they didnt know they were positive they didn’t bother to quarantine? Even though they had a positive in their house? sigh

Except that’s how it does work in the real world of human nature. Making people wait a week for test results is a catastrophe.

2 Likes

The thing that pisses me off the most is that this is a district by district decision. The whole state is pretty fucked and this decisions should be made on at the very least a county by county basis, and preferably a statewide basis.

I would say that people will start to take it seriously when the morgue trucks hit the hospital. But as the Houston chart demonstrates, people are going to die at home, delaying any sort of reconciliation of the cognitive dissonance that 80% of USA#1 seems to be experiencing. I value this thread because it allows me to take countermeasures, but some days I wish I’d never unplugged from the matrix.

5 Likes

She’s saying as it turned out one person was positive, but they didn’t know that for eight days, and during that time two others got infected.

There’s just nothing we can do. Stiff upper lip, libtard.

But seriously, I’ve stopped caring as much because all I can do is stay put for months, wear a mask outside, avoid being indoors and hope for the best. We’re getting what we all deserve. I should have knocked on doors in 2016, I did not. We lost, they won, their guy gets to handle this, and we get what we deserve. Elections have consequences. We are reckoning with those now.

6 Likes