COVID-19: Chapter 5 - BACK TO SCHOOL

https://twitter.com/DWUhlfelderLaw/status/1280875305566113794?s=20

Counterpoint: LOL laws.

You could’ve at least had the decency to use a picture of me.

3 Likes

Florida dashboard showing 10,044 new cases and the same death count as yesterday - 63

It’s mostly been deduced by Disney experts and some insiders, based partly on the fact that they initially hit capacity in most parks most days for resort stays, and then that started reversing, and now there is availabilty every single day in every park where previously there was none on any day, indicating a massive amount of cancellations.

Edit: This is the Disney availability tool: https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/availability-calendar/?segments=tickets,resort,passholder

Two weeks ago Magic Kingdom and Hollywood Studios were basically booked solid every day in July for resort guests. Other parks including Animal Kingdom were booked as well on some days. Now, every single park is available every single day.

1 Like

Correct me if I’m wrong, but most universities are charging full or almost full tuition, right?

So, largely remote learning is not sufficiently “real college” for student visas to be valid. But it IS real enough to charge full or nearly full fare.

The higher education system seems really really ripe for disruption imo.

1 Like

What’s the practicality of just live-streaming classes and having about half the students in the classroom and the other half at home? Helps with social distancing on site while giving a safe option for kids and parents.

This is what I did in the spring and many of the faculty who are not comfortable with “online” teaching are opting for in the fall. Think it’s reasonable especially if the meetings are held at regular time and not recorded (traditional face-to-face sessions aren’t typically ldo)

The whole school issue is so fucking dumb. Of course you can’t safely send kids back to school/college with 100k new cases/day which is likely where will be at if not worse by the start of August. But it will end up being a political issue just like masks and OPEN FOR BUSINESS and all the other idiotic nonsense that is used as an excuse for needlessly killing hundreds of thousands of Americans.

Are we EVER going to reach a point where someone with actual authority actually does something? Or are we just going to permanently just let Covid kill 20,000 a month or more and probably severely permanently damage a lot more? I wish I had any faith that the answer was yes, but stuff like Disney reopening tomorrow leads me to believe the answer is no.

11 Likes

Yep yep :+1:

University of Florida has been offering a fully-online MBA at exorbitant cost for several years now as a matter of fact!

Well, an eye for an eye. You shoot someone with a cell phone camera, they shoot you too. If that happens to be with a gun, well, that seems fair enough. USA#1!

1 Like

I hate myself enough to be watching the Mike Pence new conference right now. He is saying that positivity rates and hospitalizations are down in Arizona and Florida. Infuriating.

could just be more youngs on the vents right? what else would have changed that?

https://twitter.com/ASlavitt/status/1280889429100552192?s=20

Possibly better treatment methods and therapies/drugs.

So there’s a pretty good chance that they reopen, the stock shoots up, then eventually the reality of an earnings report injects some logic into the situation?

Yeah, olds are protecting themselves better, so lower average age of people needing vents. Better treatment protocols for the virus itself. Better medical management of the disease processes. Heart damage and micro clotting were a huge surprise at the beginning of this thing. Now we are treating those things before they become issues.

We are also flat out getting better at all the daily shit we need to do. Dialysis in isolation rooms, proning, putting in arterial and central lines, having IV pumps and ventilator controls outside the room for quick access, transporting isolation patients to ct, mri, or surgery, and a hundred other little things. Shit that used to be a giant production for covid patients (if they were done at all) are being done in basically the same amount of time it takes for a normal patient.

32 Likes

I thought I did. Sorry.

1 Like

Thanks Will, these are always massively appreciated.

Do you have any kind of idea of the prevalence of longer term health issues of the people who go on vents then get off of them, or the people who go into the ICU then come out?

My friend is juvenile diabetic with advanced kidney disease, has to do dialysis 4x/week. In the early days back in March she said they were still putting them 4 to a room. She is the one who got the facility to start requiring masks(!). They got so annoyed with her, they gave her her own room. Scary shit.