COVID-19: Chapter 5 - BACK TO SCHOOL

While I’m sure it’s too late to talk Simp out of going, a passport is adequate ID for flying and shit.

1 Like

Good luck Coaster. I hope you fade it.

3 Likes

I had no ID one time for a domestic flight. Not only was it not an issue, it moved me to the front of the security line. I wonder if that will change.

Very much agreed. You know I’m almost finished writing the first draft of a 100k word novel? Wrote it over the summer. First of my own I’ve written in years. All I did was decide I’d exchange a few of my more voluminous Unstuck writing sessions for a couple of hours a day writing fiction.

Most people here, even the more eloquent ones, have no business writing about politics professionally. Some would say that the reason they’re any good at it is because they’re just shooting the shit. Add pressure and a paycheck and they’d freeze. And then there are people like Riverman, I think that lad would have a heart attack within two or three weeks if he had to write about politics for a living.

But cuse THRIVES in the political pressure cooker. Could be a game changer for him if he puts his feet in the water.

8 Likes

Good luck. If you have it, do you think you got it from your mom or her from you?

I bet you’re the type of person that doesn’t return their grocery carts.

1 Like

It’s true your passport is enough and you don’t need the Real ID, but I looked into the extra requirements when I had to renew a couple years back and if you already have a driver’s license and a passport there’s no reason not to go ahead and get the Real ID. And I say that as somebody who is far more paranoid about privacy and distrustful of the government than the average Unstucker.

Yeah I’d definitely appreciate anything you want to pass along. I don’t need to automatically be hired to write for Obama or AOC, although the latter would be awesome. The ideal would be writing for the next AOC before anyone has heard of them, or writing for several potential AOC’s.

I’d also love to coach candidates on public speaking. Inflection, tone, volume, etc…

How???

Wait… I could make that kind of money just off coding in Javascript???

Yeah, it’s ironic. I applied to 13 colleges for IT, CompSci, etc. I wanted to be a web designer. During my senior year I was like, “Wait, I don’t want to spend 50 years staring at the computer.”

So I switched to broadcast journalism, and then eventually ended up in poker. I did do some web design/development on the side along the way.

But my preference at this point is:

1. Be my own boss - poker, start a business, independent contractor, etc

2. Be paid to do something important that I’d be good at - politics or charity

Thanks, I’ve thought a lot about trying to do something in this realm, but it’s all either stuff I’d start on the side and if it took off, figure it out, or stuff that would be meaningful but not generate income.

Do I? I don’t know. I am confident I could produce good work under pressure but I think I’d turn into like 75% Josh Lyman level rage and 25% Sam Seaborne level idealism. I think I’d be very good at it, but I don’t know if I could turn it off at home and not have a massive heart attack 10 years in. As-is I struggle to shut it off recreationally.

I’m still not quite sure how I put my feet in the water.

1 Like

I need to renew my passport too…once i find it.

Are they even renewing passports now?

There are huge delays there. Mine’s been gone for months and they don’t even pretend to know when I’ll get my new one.

eta: The State Dept publishes their backlog statistics once a week. I stopped looking at the updates because it was so depressing.

I got my first programming job partly on the strength of having written a cute little JavaScript calculator. And it turned out I could see why they were impressed, no one else on the web team could have done it, especially not the guy that everyone thought was smart because he always walked around carrying a book on Java. (He’s a scrum coach or something like that now)

The 90s were a magical time. I had some BS crop up with an expired license like a decade ago. Some randos that use it to verify identity stupidly care about expiration. Also, no car or uhaul rentals and such.

Does this mean you’re literally trapped in the US - or is there some kind of temp document you can get?

I got my passport renewed just before all this - whew.

Thanks. If we both are positive I’d be 95% confident that she gave it to me. Hopefully it’s not covid as both of us and my dad could be considered high risk.

Well I’m not because I have a Canadian passport too. But if I didn’t, yeah I’d be stuck unless I had some life or death emergency I could use to plead my case. They still do expedited for those.

Based on the data I have seen I actually expect I’ll get mine by late October, which would make it a ~4 month turnaround.

yeah. I mean you have to be good right, you have know things, you have to know how to know things, etc. My current job they needed a lead engineer to come in and make the core of this complicated web app from nothing and also teach the team how to work with the framework (react) and produce features. After I delivered the product in 9 months they gave me a big bonus & restricted stonk units which lead to the total comp #.

There’s not that many people who can do it, you need to have good technical talent and some OK soft skills and as you can see from my sparkling forum personality I absolutely have. Or something. But the average mid level guy who works with me probably makes $110k and does 4 hours of work a day just like I do but without the “responsibility”.

Anyways come to the programming thread if you decide to give it a shot.

1 Like

No I hear you, but I’m guessing you’re imagining taking your current recreational focus and intensity toward politics and adding a political job on top of it. Whereas if politics were your job, you’d probably spend more of your time here in Sundry Chitchat. Assuming you didn’t stop posting here entirely.

I get the fear that you might not be able to turn it off when you go home, but consider this. There really is a huge difference in scratching that political itch and feeling FULFILLED vs posting here dozens of times a day. A lot of us here are compulsive posters precisely because our political outrage feels useful but affects next to nothing at all outside of the people on this message board. It’s the difference in eating candy and being hungrier than you started vs eating a satisfying meal. Or, as skydiver so recently referenced in a book recommendation, it’s the difference in being a political hobbyist and a political activist.

You’ve demonstrated healthy limits when it comes to poker, money management, and your health. I have to think you’d exercise the same self-care in a political occupation.

4 Likes

That sounds like the perfect job for me. I considered getting in to coding several years ago after it being suggested by multiple people. My problem is a poor work ethic on anything I’m not passionate about, but I think I could be successful in coding if it was something I enjoyed. Hmm…

1 Like

Can one of your coderbros hack the Fox News chyron by the first debate? Ok thanks.

1 Like