COVID-19: Chapter 5 - BACK TO SCHOOL

Wow, I feel your misery.

3 Likes

I bought 8 years ago. We chose a modest townhouse. We saw so many friends get house poor with these insane huge homes. We were approved for $900k and spent $210k. My realtor thought we were nuts. :grinning:

If I add my taxes and insurance I would be about $1300/month.

3 Likes

Back on topic

Czech Republic hit 729 cases by 6 pm. Masks on basically everywhere that isn’t outdoors.

Of course, it’s too late for that shit though. Putting on a mask now is trying to fix a gunshot wound with a Band-Aid.

I say “Wow” to both of their posts but for totally opposite reasons

2 Likes

The GOP bill had provisions Ds didn’t like, like a liability shield and no money to states. Rand was the only R to vote against it.

I’ve thought about doing this, are those 8 or 12 week bootcamp things you see a big scam or would I actually have a shot at getting a job?

Doesn’t need to be a big shot FAANG type job or anything, i don’t really care about the money I’m more interested in finding a job i can do remotely so I can move around and not feel tied to one place. My wife makes more than enough to cover us both and she is able to work remote so we’ve talked about traveling around or buying a 2nd property somewhere warm where we could spend the winters. I can’t do that in my current line of work but I figure it might be possible if I go the coding route.

My backup plan is to work on the grounds crew at golf courses and then play a round everyday after work

1 Like

Bootcamps can work and are not a scam. However I strongly recommend you just try a basic free software course for a day or two to start to see if you can get it/are interested enough. Codecademy is where I started in 2011 after BF, there’s a ton more now.

I was able to get my first job after like 6 months of self study, with a 8 year “gap” of no jobs, with no college degree. Contracting for $30/hour in the midwest.

5 Likes

Shut the fuck up

6 Likes

Big +1 to this post.

1 Like

to the poker thread!

flop nuts ftw

5 Likes

I swear, your “my job is so hard!” stories get more and more ridiculous.

3 Likes

Is there an actual job market for people who work diligently through a coding bootcamp? Seems like if it’s that easy, there’d be enormous competition for entry-level coding jobs.

Coding bootcamps are not a walk in the park, nor are they cheap.

Like anything in life, for every person who puts in the work to extract useful skills out of the experience and then do the legwork to put themselves out there, there will be a few dozen who think simply showing up means they’ll be handed a certificate to be redeemed for (1) six-figure job in Silicon Valley.

I’ve hired many people who’s only education is coding bootcamps, yes. You’re underestimating how many people can actually code despite claiming to be programmers. Several years ago my manager at the time wanted me to lead hiring for a senior role. After a phone screen, we brought in people for interviews, and asked them to do this in front of us:

“Write a program that prints the numbers from 1 to 100. But for multiples of three print “Fizz” instead of the number and for the multiples of five print “Buzz”. For numbers which are multiples of both three and five print “FizzBuzz”.”

The first 9 people couldn’t do it. The 10th did and was given an offer of $100k base for a full time role. Yeah.

4 Likes

That’s the median income around here.

Rent $2100
Health Insurance $500 (expected cost 2021)
Food & Household Items $600
Cable/Internet $130
Cell Phone $100
Car Insurance $180
Gas $200

Total $3,810

That’s about $46K post-tax, which should be just under $60K pre-tax. Assume they cover most of my health insurance and it can be a tad lower but I also left $0 for entertainment and $0 for retirement savings.

Working from home my gas would be way less, that was based on about a 20-25 mile commute and a visit to my parents twice a month with basically no other driving.

Yeah I plan on doing a little of this one I am in my townhouse. I can do yard sales since they’re outdoors and quick trips into thrift stores.

I don’t want to identify him much and I’m not 100% sure of exactly what he does, but it’s finance related and I think involves investing in private companies.

He has no filter on his views at the table and our lineup had one Q believing nutjob, which led to some funny direct comments. He’s out spoken on stuff like climate change, guns, and healthcare and thinks the likes of Trump and Bush are complete failures. I don’t know where he’d come down on a Romney type.

The liberal whale is politically liberal and super generous to service staff (I’ve seen him toss $100 to staff he’s not even getting anything from just to be nice), but can be a bit out of touch with the realities of everyday struggles of us common folk. So every now and then he’ll say something cringe-inducing but it’s not indicative of his character, it’s indicative of the fact that he probably hasn’t had to worry about the price of milk and such in like 40 years.

What part of the country do you live in? $1K a month would be the cheapest 1br apartment available here.

Not during a pandemic.

I’m paying $2,100 in the new place, it’s as good as I could do in a townhouse.

The best I could do in an apartment with space for a home office would probably be $1,400.

But I’m not willing to live in certain areas or in a place likely to require frequent maintenance visits, etc.

It’s sort of two worlds. The places much below $1,500 would not be places I’d want to live for safety reasons. Especially in a pandemic/recession/civil unrest.

This would probably involve too much shipping to make it work from here, as I’d have to take pictures of everything. But thanks.

Thanks, I’ve looked into it and that’s my cover career at the table. I did some on the side in the past but the freelance stuff pays like a penny a word and mind numbing (it’s just content mill bs). I’d love to write political speeches/content.

Maybe I should start a consulting company and do it on the side cheap for +EV meaningful work. I could cold email/call Justice Dem type primary challengers and offer to write their web content and speeches. Some have great stuff already, some very little.

I also did sportswriting in the past, but no money in that. I’ve got some book ideas, but I feel like I can’t really rely on that as my main thing having never even tried it before.

Yeah I used to get by on a lot less - maybe 20K post tax (plus cell phone from mom and dad), and basically lived on about $45-55K a year post-tax max despite my income going way up the last 1.5-2 years - I’ve saved the vast majority on my net worth there.

It’s even harder to cut back on rent now given the pandemic. Having a private entrance and space for a home gym is pretty key. The biggest differences from when I got by on $20K are rent ($600 with two roommates), health insurance (out of my control), and splitting utils/cable with two roommates.

I’m pretty sure I’d have to liquidate most of my net worth to get Medicaid, but I could qualify for subsidies at lower incomes and forgot about that.

Fuck off, asshole.

What language? Did you get certified or anything?

Do you qualify as an ESA for the landlords that hold your leash, or are you merely a lapdog?

5 Likes

So this is like a few nested if loops right? One that runs 100 times, inside that is one that prints FizzBuzz if X/3 and X/5 are both whole numbers then exits that iteration, else it prints Fizz if x/3 = a whole number then exits the iteration, else it prints Buzz if x/5 = a whole number then exits the iteration, else it prints X.

I think I’d have a non-zero chance of being able to code that right now based on being an IT minor 12 years ago and taking AP CompSci 16 years ago.

I’d need a reference book or access to Google to confirm a few things within the code.

I probably wouldn’t last too long in the $100K a year job as-is though lol…

Good on you, cuse. And just to be clear, I’m not criticizing you for where you live and your according expenses. Just taking the view against myself. I moved out of a big city precisely because I was paying a lot more for a whole lot I didn’t care about, but if I relied on a heavier in-person population for my income, I’d probably be making similar sacrifices. There was a time I considered moving to New York for certain entertainment jobs, but I accepted having a family was going to mean sacrificing that kind of expensive risk and made my peace with the simple existence that I’ve always had.

2 Likes

Yeah, that’s all fine, but just know that this is a lot of luxury spending. All of those could be easily cut by 1/2 or 2/3 and it’s not obvious you would be any less happy. Working for 25K plus health insurance doing something that actually makes the world better may be correct play from the perspective of self-interest.

It’s your life, but don’t fool yourself into thinking this is some kind of subsistence living or something.

2 Likes