COVID-19: Chapter 5 - BACK TO SCHOOL

They aren’t. Median rent in Philly is ~$1,500.

Don’t you live in Alberta? Your giant ass province has less people than most large cities in the US. Assuming a small down-payment where I’m at an $1100 monthly payment including property taxes and insurance (feel like people always ignore this) means you are living in a shanty. If your mortgage is $1100 then you can add on another $400-500 in property taxes and insurance here

I’ll give you half if you sell a ton of stuff for me on ebay. I wish you lived in LA. But maybe there’s some way we could make it work.

You should also look into anything that involves writing - as you’re a good writer and extremely prolific (which is important).

3 Likes

We are having major work done to the back yard/back of the house starting Monday. Fortunately, there’s no foreseeable need for any of the work crew to come inside the house, so I’m not too worried.

2 Likes

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2020/09/10/coronavirus-covid-live-updates-us/#link-O3PZW63NHBAD7OGVB3EOVQFYXM

Fifteen blood samples taken from 102 shelter, hospital and pet cats between January and March tested positive for antibodies. Eleven of those 15 cats had neutralizing antibodies, which bind to a virus successfully enough to block the infection.

I used to say that - when I made $22k. Then somehow my lifestyle just adjusted all the way up to $150ish.

Only when I got $28k from my stepdad dying and a $63k retention bonus at my job did I actually get out of the red in credit cards and have enough for a down payment on a condo.

1 Like

Construction seems generally quite busy. I guess people staying home a lot is leading to people wanting a lot of work done.

I was working yesterday at a house where they were also building some concrete bar/outdoor grill/whatever thingo. I was the only person anywhere around ever wearing a mask - including the owners and a neighbor who stopped by. (I don’t wear a mask on the roof by myself - but do when on the ground passing anywhere near people)

1 Like

Health insurance gets you when you get older as well. I pay a lot because I pay for 4 people, but also I cost more than twice as much as either of my kids. Well, before I had kids I just didn’t have health insurance.

Insert learn to code rant here obv

1 Like

It’s not just that we’re home…it’s that we haven’t been spending money so we’ve managed to save enough to finally get this done. It’s actually something we’ve been needing and just kept putting it off because we knew how huge of a job it is and what a pain in the ass it would be to do.

The crew chief came over yesterday to go over it again and he’s always worn a mask, so I take that as a good sign. I doubt they’ll wear masks when they work, but I won’t be near them the vast majority of the time.

1 Like

My health insurance is like $180/mo - because I work for the man like a good obedient wage slave.

My plan is to go w/o health insurance while I travel the world for 3+ years. I’ll just pay for it if I get sick. After that if I decide to settle back in the US things could get interesting until I turn 65 in 14 years.

1 Like

Sounds like I’ll be a prime candidate for the coroner to mark me down as a COVID-related death :+1:

2 Likes

I was assured in the bailout thread that getting a skinny bipartisan bill that included additional unemployment benefits, an eviction moratorium, money for the post office and new stimmy checks was a slam dunk. What happened? Republicans won’t even vote for their own bill? Who could have seen that coming!

6 Likes

You have a lifestyle for $150k annual? :open_mouth:

I sometimes forget how well off some of you guys are. Or just how poor I am in comparison.

The only really “good” thing about being poor at times has been that when I was in states with expanded Medicaid, I had the most amazing healthcare of my life FOR FREE. And then when in states who said lol fuck poor people no Medicaid for you, my life circumstances and projected annual income fall within the range for generous premium subsidies such that my monthly health insurance costs aren’t $0 but aren’t the outrageous costs some of you are quoting.

Voting for them seems worse.

2 Likes

Let me guess, you bought 15 years ago? It can’t have been recently given what I’ve seen in the Calgary market. My wife’s cousin just took a bath on a seriously overpriced condo he bought at the height of the market, right before the fire in Fort Mac.

We pay about $1600 a month for our condo we bought in 2004, including taxes and association fees. We took a look at what it would take to buy in the Ottawa market right now and it is truly insane — any decent house would at least double our monthly housing expenses, and they’re all way out in the outer suburbs. The ones we really like are more like triple. The ones we REALLY really like are unaffordable, anything good in the city is going for seven figures.

lol people responding to scumbag landlord inso0

He is to be mocked, not spoken to.

4 Likes

Remember he’s not even a landlord. He is a lackey that works for landlords.

2 Likes

LOL

So pathetic.

I was a “real” landlord for 6 years or so, and I do not recommend it. There are far more lucrative ways of losing sleep at night. I’m cool just cashing paychecks without the added risk.

Being a landlording lackey has been a rough gig this summer.

There’s a real epidemic going on in this country, and it’s called Emotional Support Animals. Snowflakes are paying $80 to get their dogs “certified” by scam websites thinking it’ll get them around the no-pet policies.

Just, no. Go find buildings that accept pets, thanks.