COVID-19: Chapter 5 - BACK TO SCHOOL

I was trying to start a side hustle pre-pandemic, but since it involved going into stores and to yard sales and flipping stuff, I put it on hold.

I do want to do other things, but if I’m limiting myself to WFH jobs available to a poker pro with a resume gap that pays let’s say $60K+ a year pre-tax, I’m not sure what that is right now.

Most things I’d want to do involve starting a business of some sort or working in politics, so the plan was to start something on the side and not switch over unless the income was there and I wanted to. In the case of politics, I could maybe try to get involved leading into the '22 cycle. At this point I will volunteer but I don’t think I can get hired for anything this late in the cycle with no experience.

Yeah as someone who has been going to work in a manufacturing plant during the pandemic I find this discussion pretty lol and out of touch with reality. If I’m Cuse I’m 100% going to at least check the game out, if people aren’t following the rules then yeah leave but not going is pretty ridiculous. Things are not going to get better, if we lived in a functioning country maybe we’d be at the very tail end of this shit and things could start going back to normal but we don’t so you either need to figure out how to do your thing or just sit at home and pray you don’t run out of money.

My workplace of ~150 people has had no confirmed cases, we’ve had some people who were in contact with positive individuals who then stayed home for 2 weeks but no employee positives. We require masks at all times unless you work in an office (only 10ish people qualify there, luckily I’m one of them), we do have some pretty serious air movement and ventilation in the plant so maybe that has helped limit air transmission? 5 massive rooftop air makeup units that move a lot of air into the building and a lot of vent stacks and large fans built into the walls that remove air. I was not happy about going into work 4 or 5 months ago and thought about quitting but I’ve seen that you can minimize and almost completely eliminate risk if you do things the right way.

4 Likes

Pretty much. For me this is both likely to be my safest and most lucrative live poker opportunity for a minimum of 7 months. Per hour it’s the most lucrative of my life.

Passing is it’s own risk, because there would come a point where I’d have to go back to live poker for less money with no masks and thus way more risk or go get a regular job with more risk for even less money.

It’s like I’m in a tourney with 18bb, the button opened and I’m in the BB with KQo. We’re 2-3 hours from the bubble, so I might be able to fold into the money but it would be close, and the right play is obvious even though it could end my tournament life.

1 Like

Cuse, can you play poker through a glory hole? They do that in Canada.

4 Likes

That’s a shitload of money for a single guy with no dependents.

3 Likes

Got a huge mold problem in my apartment so have accepted a tech coming in. He first came to the door maskless, so I mandated he has to wear a mask and maintain social distancing while inside. I stay in the other room and talk to him from a distance.

Well the point of the story is that he first came in a couple of days ago wearing a 3-ply but today came in wearing an N-95. I choose to believe that has something to do with Trump’s own words confirming he knew the virus was dangerous and deadly all along. Maybe a few more people will now take this seriously.

Lol I could live off $60k for five years or more if I really tighten my belt

3 Likes

If you can find a way to pick up stuff safely, you’ve got warehouse space to buy from people who are desperate so you can flip it next year.

:frowning_face: :frowning_face: :frowning_face: :frowning_face: :cry:

1 Like

I want to hear more about the liberal mega whale, that’s a unicorn.

4 Likes

Awesome is a word that applies equally to Wookie and Inso0, but in totally opposite ways.

3 Likes

More likely it means the mold in your apartment is super dangerous.

RIP Risky

8 Likes

It works out to ~$45k after taxes and rent is ~$30k so it’s not that crazy.

1 Like

I’m so glad that Inso0’s vote for president is worth infinitely more than mine.

4 Likes

wat

Rent should be like $12K at the most in belt-tightening mode.

edit: and more like $8-9K with a roommate.

lol @ $2,500/month rent.

Let me take a wild guess which state you live in…

That rent estimate was a lowball based on what Cuse has posted about looking for a new place, I didn’t realize PA rents were as silly as CA rents until then.

I don’t get how people pay those rents. My mortgage is $1100 a month!

1 Like

Ok, fair. But paying that kind of rent is a luxury choice, not a necessity that you should plan your career and life around.

2 Likes

not if you live in a big city and especially not if you are trying to max out a 401k or similar. Also you’ll need to live with roommates which is not great in the middle of a pandemic

1 Like