COVID-19: Chapter 5 - BACK TO SCHOOL

BTW, everyone needs to get a flu shot. They are now available at many places for cheap.

You don’t want to get the flu + Covid in November.

2 Likes

https://twitter.com/singermarla3/status/1303836994242568192?s=19

update on the situation here in the Netherlands.

With confirmed cases, we are really in a second wave:

But in hospital or ICU admissions and deaths, we’re not seeing much happening this time.

Daily hospital admissions:

Daily deaths:

The cause isn’t clear yet. Explanations that could (partially) explain it:

• The share of less vulnerable people who are getting sick is higher this time around (young & middle-aged people).
  • Treatment and care has improved
  • We are dealing with a more contagious but less lethal mutation this time around
  • We’re testing more
6 Likes

I know I am late to the discussion but how much do you know about the other players? If they are all reasonably sensible people then I would probably go based on what you said so far. If these are people going out to large indoor gatherings then definitely no. This assumes everyone is wearing masks 100% of the time though and all proper masks.

1 Like

Stop fucking about with these weak tight half measures - just go to a fancy dress shop and put the full Darth Vadar on imo.

Our covid risk scores are the same (my age score cancels out your obesity score and we are both asthmatic Caucasian males). We have about a 1/6 chance of dying if we get it.

In your shoes I’d forget about stupid poker until the covid risk is almost zero, take advantage of being commitment-free, get a change of environment and move to CA to help @microbet out with his solar stuff if he’s still doing it ie do something worthwhile with your life for a year or two. This is, after all, a core leftist value and, importantly, will give you something to feel good about instead of just piling up money.

1 Like

It’s not just conspiracy theories. Ask any conservative what liberals want. They have no idea. They mumble “free stuff.”

2 Likes

@microbet that 40 years a nomad video is pretty interesting. I know several people who do this through that festival community I’m apart of. Most of them seem pretty content, but it also seems like a pretty lonely existence The thing about not being grounded anywhere is it’s hard to build long term meaningful relationships that you experience regularly. Like they have good friends but they only see them once or twice a year

I mean obviously that appeals to them. Just thinking out loud because I’ve thought about doing something like that a few times but that part of it seems tough. Also I’ve never seen any of them have any intimate relationships. Not the ones who do it long term anyways…

Also I know that wasn’t your point towards Cuse, just meandering about the video/lifestyle.

1 Like

I would generally look at case density. I like to see the 14 day positive sum to get down to 1/1000. So maybe a daily of 1/10,000 would be a good mark.

Peaks for the 14 day some have been in the 6/1000 range (by state sure some cities or counties were higher).

If you want off peak and not deal with population then 75% reduction is a good start for any place that was “hot”. Maybe places that had more modest peaks then 50% would be ok.

Catching up. The pause is due to a second instance with the first instance confounding by an MS diagnosis?

If we have another worldwide 6ish candidates I’m probably shelving this one for now.

Note this is just a math example extrapolating and assuming the vaccine is the cause- none of this is proven. Just an exercise.

Let’s be really really conservative. Bad side effect is 1 per 50k and they got really unlucky that it showed in 8500.

20/1M or 600 per 300M. And the side effect is severe. Yeah people would freak. Any docbros itt that can tell us what the normal severe reaction threshold is for vaccines?

Seriously though he is trying to score $2-3k in a “shift” while working poors are doing their bodega shift for $75.

Cuse I can’t imagine going and running bad. I can tell you as occasional live player the past few years it sucks so bad to finally get in the game and then to be really card dead and then finally pick up a top set hand only to get crushed by some sick 4 or less outer.

I still have nightmares of being 1 outed after taking all my chips out of my rack as I was prepping to leave with top boat allin.

1 Like

And let’s not forget about the caravans full of scary, dirty immigrants, ms13, and Islamic terrorists marching toward the border

1 Like

In a lot of places in The US the explanation has been demographic. The olds will eventually become part of the wave.

Treatments are better so the death rate will thankfully be lower.

Hooray! :frowning:

1 Like

Literally. Imagine a Feb or early March shutdown and real travel ban followed up by advances in testing and real preparedness with PPE, vents etc.

Easily 80% and possibly 90% reduction. No exaggeration to lay 150k deaths on these fuckers. Trump Pence the administration R senate. Fuck them. They all deserve worse than a certain under title.

2 Likes

https://www.seattletimes.com/nation-world/virus-cases-rise-among-school-age-children-in-florida-state-orders-some-counties-to-keep-data-hidden/

Ok so this has been in my feed for a couple days now.

Intellectually interesting but highly dangerous in the hands of the uninformed.

Recalls our discussion early about very low dose as vaccine. I’m still in the I’ll take my vaccine of the proven safe and effective variety camp.

But in the interest of science I now would like @anon38180840 to wear a cloth mask to his pokerz game. :kissing_heart:

Well, that’s a bit too simplistic of a statement imo. People are resuming “normal” activity in most places in the US not totally because they have given up. Most are continuing a gradual relaxing of whatever restrictions they imposed upon themselves because they are not observing mass casualties, not seeing many, if any, family or friends become sick and die, aren’t observing hospitals overflowing with bodies left to rot in the street, supply chains breaking down, etc. These were all very real concerns back in April.

I don’t want to speak for Cuse, but I feel pretty confident in saying that this activity would not have been entertained in the tiniest, slightest bit in April/May. At least part of the debate is due to the situation generally improving as a result of more and better data, better treatments, etc. in the months that followed.

1 Like

Translation: Coronavirus is now spreading mainly among children and young people, the numbers show

Shit, who knew that opening schools during a pandemic would lead to wider spread among children and young adults?!

As for how the country is doing as of late, here’s the number of cases over the last 14 days per 100,000 people

In 6th is the Czech Republic with 61.2 cases per 100,000 people. Ahead of it are Spain, France, Croatia, Romania, and Malta.

Source

I accidentally read Facebook comments at the bottom of a Toronto blog article and I learned that actually its scientifically impossible to have Covid and be asymptomatic, all restrictions on business are knee jerk overreactions, and Covid is no worse than a cold or flu and we just have to let it run its course. Many of these comments may be coming from bots but even so these views are still widely held 6 months after the facts started to come out about Covid. This is not good, politicians running on an Open for Business platform will have a structural advantage until we have a vaccine.