COVID-19: Chapter 5 - BACK TO SCHOOL

-day moving average

1 Like

What a sweet old lady.

3 Likes

Meanwhile, in Japan, the situation appears to be worsening rather than improving.

For weeks we had been averaging about 50 new infections per day here.

The past couple weeks, the number has been around 100.

And just yesterday, the number jumped above 200 new infections for the first time I can remember.

Curiously, the deaths total remains low–still under 1,000.

Most of the reported new cases are concentrated in Tokyo, and are thought to be coming mainly from “hostess clubs,” which are upscale bars where corporate executives gather after work to pay for the privilege of drinking overpriced alcohol while schmoozing with elegantly dressed female companions.

It’s Japan’s equivalent of idiots going to crowded bars without masks.

4 Likes

Just more evidence that aside from total isolation of an island nation this thing is not going away until some form of herd immunity is reached. Of course we can do that the easy way or the hard way.

More like the hard way or the really, really, really hard way.

1 Like

I am super torn about school. My kids need social interaction with other kids but boy does it seem like a terrible idea.

4 Likes

It’s like the ninja virus*. It just lurks and then any relaxation and it soars, but the off is low enough and the higher portion of cases of no or low symptoms so even then people shrug it off until holy cow the hospitals are full and it takes a week to get the test results. Oh and it probably does a fuck of a lot more damage to the low and no symptom people that will show up months down the road.

*in usa#1 at least

In other Florida news.

Cuse—what says Orlando capacity? Gonna suck when Mickey takes the vent.

Or never. Because there’s no evidence that herd immunity is a real thing with this bug.

1 Like

They did CM previews today and AP previews start on Thursday. It’s definitely happening at this point. People are literally going to be dying in hospital parking lots a few blocks away from kids in Disney World in a few weeks.

If there was no short-term herd immunity you’d know it by now.

Last name Patrick?

Aren’t we talking about long term herd immunity?

1 Like

Reopening Disneyworld is just pants-on-head lunacy. Esp given how many people travel from afar to go see it.

2 Likes

If there’s any consolation the metrics from their park reservation system for people staying in resorts seems to indicate that they are currently experiencing massive amounts of cancellations. Which make sense because it’s a park for families with kids and as a parent you’d have to be certifiably fucking insane to take your kids right now.

The silver lining is that it’s probably only going to be mostly people from idiot states traveling to Disneyworld so it may not have a huge effect on worldwide spread.

Well there sure as shit aren’t going to be any international visitors. Also there are reciprocal 14 day quarantine requirements from NY/NJ/CT so to travel to Florida from one of those states would require 28 days of quarantine, 14 on each end of your trip.

So basically 3% of current confirmed infection rate.

47 years old 30 year smoker, high cholesterol, healthy weight but not nearly healthy enough to say I’m healthy. Suffer from an autoimmune disease that is slowely progressing but very manageable at this point.

I’m incredibly high risk for getting this thing if I haven’t already. Closely exsposed to seven different people for 30 minutes at a time 14 times a day. Plus all the coworkers and others that I literally rub elbows with on the way back to the break room. It’s only a matter of time.

I could quit I guess but there is the mortgage to pay and the food to buy and a toddler in the house that’s going to need college money and cars and whatever else I haven’t even planned for yet. Wife permanently lost her job so more financial pressure.

Always was a gambler though so…

6 Likes